Does anybody still believe in God and the Bible?

by tornapart 218 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tornapart
    tornapart

I just want to know out of interest how many here still believe in God and Christ and that the Bible is God's word.

I ask this because I still do. My faith in the WTS is gone but I still love God and his Son. I've noticed that many here have lost their faith in God as well as the WTS. I'm a firm believer in free choice and free thinking but would like to know how many others here believe as I do.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I tried my best, but ultimately the more research i did into the bible the worse it seemed to get.

So if you like that warm fuzzy feeling then don't do any research, quite simple really. I just happen to favour fact over belief.

What you will often find is that the bar used to measure other religions by is far higher than that applied to your own, how about applying the standard equally I say.

• Knowsnothing
  • cantleave
    cantleave

I prefer the writings of JK Rowling and have placed my faith in Harry Potter

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Excellent advice, WITNESSMYFURY. Research and the warm fuzzies do not mix.

• extractor
    extractor

If someone was giving me chocolate ice cream for years, but was secretly mixing in dog crap, I'd want to know what real chocolate ice cream tasted like...sans the K-9 poo.

"I want to educate former members that spirituality is not about black and white thinking or having blind faith in absolutes. The essence of faith is not having all the answers but trusting that there is goodness and truth, and that God exists. I consider it a tremendous setback if a person leaves a destructive cult and feels he must abandon or denigrate the religious part of his authentic identity to do so." - Steve Hassan "Releasing the Bonds" pg.183

• DonutZ!
    DonutZ!

I believe in God and Jesus and that the Bible is God's word.

• tornapart
    tornapart

When I read Ray Franz's books what impressed me was he still had a deep love for God and Christ. He didn't want to go to any other religious organisation and chose to stay close to what he believed was true. He was a true genuine christian and he showed genuine love and compassion for others. At the same time he showed the hipocrisy within the WTS. He was a wonderful example.

• binadub
    binadub

Yes--though not from the literal perspective that most churches teach.

I wanted not to believe on blind faith so I've researched the Bible from a secular perspective.

I find that there are too many "coincidences" in the Bible for it to be totally without inspiration, but that is a huge subject that cannot be addressed in a post or thread. If you want to discuss with skeptics, it involves faith, evolution, science, and archeological history of the civilization of mankind.
    I usually do not try to persuade people who have converted to secular skepticism; it's like arguing with JWs and other people of devout denominational faith.

There are many exJW Christians of various religious perspectives. Check out ChannelC.org.

~Binadub

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Is "belief", which is basically trusting that something is true without any proof, a thing of value ? Of what practical use is it ?

Yes, it may engender a warm and fuzzy feeling in the good times, but when the s**t hits the fan in your life, you find that your belief can do nothing for you that is real, practical.

I have decided that I will only trust that for which I have solid , testable proof, everything outside of that is fantasy and delusion, and of no value.

Proof for God ? Nil.

Therefore the Bible is just a book written by men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit