Where are Gods people

by frigginconfused 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

Are you saying that you would not associate with J.F Rutherford and the sincere people who formed his religion in the early 1920's, if you lived then ?

Because its a fact that JFR and his pals celebrated Christmas and Birthdays at Bethel then.

By the way, what hasn't got pagan roots ? Wedding Ring ? days of the week ? do you use different names for them than I do ?

I could go on, but you must get the point ?

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

There are Christians who choose not to celebrate holidays. The thing is that their churches do not stipulate a rule that prevents the entire congregation from doing so.

This is what happened to us at Halloween: We decided not to celebrate. We are new Christians who have been preaching and demonstrating love of neighbor and my daughter picked up on this. We have a ton of candy in the house. My little one decides to open the blinds on the window so he can see the people outside. Some come to the door. My daughter says, "They are little kids, I just want to make them happy." and gives out candy. So love of neighbor won out over our other principles. I don't know what will happen next year, but I just wanted to give you a different view point.

I also know many Christians who do not celebrate Easter. They celebrate Christ Ressurection, but they do not do anything with eggs or bunnies. Funny that as JW I did not celebrate His resurrection but I did buy eggs and bunnies when they went on sale. hmmmm

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The WT reasoning below could be used to justify most holidays/celebrations.

In "your area" is Christmas viewed as a pagan celebration, or is a traditional holiday, celebrated even by non-religious people?

-------------------

*** 'Awake!' 2003 9/22 p.24 The Piñata—An Ancient Tradition***

A main concern is, not what the practice meant hundreds of years ago, but how it is viewed today in your area. Understandably, opinions may vary from one place to another. Hence, it is wise to avoid turning such matters into big issues. The Bible says: "Let each one keep seeking, not his own advantage, but that of the other person."—1 Corinthians 10:24.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

oh yes, wind-chimes, wedding dresses and bouquets, bridesmaids and their matching dresses, wedding cakes and the ritual cutting of them, pinatas,

pyramidology, numerology, the Bible translation by Johannes Greber...

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Yes Leavingwt! I read a Watchtower article about Traditions and Customs and it convinced me that birthdays were okay.

• Bella15
    Bella15

You mean you know what the people you see at the hall do 24 hours a day 7 days a week? Are you in their innermost thoughts, do you know the motives of their hearts, do you witness how they treat their wives, husbands, sons, daughters, friends in the privacy of their homes/environments ...anyone can act "decent" in the hall, but would they pass the test at home? their minds, their hearts??????? DO NOT BE DECEIVED BY LOOKS, BY WORKS ...

• Bella15
    Bella15

Don't look for God's people ... LOOK FOR GOD HIMSELF ... OBEY GOD AND TURN TO JESUS WHO IN TURN WILL SHOW YOU THE FATHER ...

• Heaven
    Heaven

Its not about judging. Its fact that those holidays stem from pagan roots.

fc, yes, it is about judging. Regarding the word 'pagan' it literally means 'rural or country dweller'.

Can you explain why paganism is offensive to you? Parts of Christianity were borrowed from the pagans. The resurrection of the son was formerly the resurrection of the sun as an example.

And as wobble has pointed out, many pagan traditions have been woven into our everyday lives so exactly what parts of paganism do you find offensive? Does a necktie offend you? Why are you offended by the celebration of holidays? Do people who live in the country offend you?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Its not about judging. Its fact that those holidays stem from pagan roots. I dont think a true christian should cling to tradition instead of gods will.

You are still judging people ....... by doctrines of the cult you left. When we realise we have been in a cult it is hard to get it into our heads that everything the cult taught is suspect. Everything.

As for celebrating Pagan holidays .... so what? Paganism was incorporated into Christianity before the NT canon was decided on. Egyptologist, Arthur Weigall described Christianity as the last bastion of the old Pagan god's. That didn't stop him being a Christian.

http://www.amazon.com/Paganism-Our-Christianity-Arthur-Weigall/dp/0766135411

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Its not about judging. Its fact that those holidays stem from pagan roots. I dont think a true christian should cling to tradition instead of gods will. As far as me not likeing most people. Most people are zombies. Aimlessly going through life connected to thier phones. No one really communicates anymore. Honor and integrity are not valued these days. Its hard to find old school people.

Looks like a fair bit of judgement going on to me. Then again, we all do it to a degree. It seems your viewpoint is still congruent with the JW bias on certain things. Do you see it? May I offer some alternative viewpoints?

Most people don't care about or even know the roots of most holidays. Halloween is fun, especially for kids of all ages. Most are social occasions when you boil it down.

Traditions give comfort, familiarity and an easy connection to the value being sought. It can be personal, familial or social. JWs have their traditions too; it' just downplayed. And god's will varies according to interpretion and there's plenty of that to go around.

Most people are not zombies. You don't seem to give much credit to people with different priorities.

Communication, honor and integrity exist but you must search them out.

I'm old school as well as very liberal. Depends on who I compare to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit