Pros about being a jehovah's witness

by raxxxx 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Something else too, and it's in harmony with this week's Bible reading, Isaiah 42-44, the use of ornaments in worship. The use of statues, crosses, beads, it's all crap. Worthless crap manufactured by companies or individual. All crap.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

It taught me to adapt to my suroundings and speak in public. Kept me from smoking, and drugs. Other than that? The WT$ effect on me was far more negative than positive. Besides, how do any of us know we wouldn't have learned those things without them?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I knew kids in the bOrg who did drugs because there was nothing else to do and they had developed the mindset that because they didn't fit in that theocratic mold of being good enough to matter. Knew a lot of kids that got df'd including a few cousins, most of whom fell away and never came back.

• harekrishna
    harekrishna

Looking back, there were of course a million cons, but you asked for the pros so here goes: 1. All those boring family Bible studies made me a better reader and enriched my vocabulary. 2. I remember the book, "Listening to the Great Teacher" with the pink cover. The only JW book I didn't throw away taught me basic morals. 3. Giving public talks taught me to speak more confidently in front of others.

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

To be honest, there are some good points to me. As long as one sticks firmly to the lifestyle, one can avoid certain things: STDs, teen and unplanned pregnancy, drug/cigarette/alcohol addiction (as well as health problems those things cause), not spending a ton of money for Christmas presents and holiday decorations/birthdays...but that's about all I can think of.

Some things seem like benefits but are not really such as a big ego, "knowing" that one is "doing the right thing", thinking one is better than everyone else, or that the org. is better than everyone else, fake happiness when one has just been brainwashed, some of you know that "rush" you'd get when everyone was clapping at the end of a convention or whatever or when the music swells at the end of one of their bragging videos. But of course those are not REAL benefits, but they feel like it for awhile.

Oh, and I got really good at taking notes from being a JW, learned some good study habits and public speaking tips and I did learn a decent amount about SOME of the Bible, at least the Old Testament.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Public speaking, became adept doing extemporaneous off the cuff speaking, which many times has served me well.....being a jw also gave me a voracious appetite for reading, read everything I could get my hands on......nothing else of importance....

• kimbo
    kimbo

Thinking

• shamus100
    shamus100

Absolutely nothing that couldn't be learned from having a normal productive childhood.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

Travel, travelled most of New Zealand, had some really great holidays, to be ruined by attending f...ing assemblies at the end.

Very unlikely that we would have had those holidays if we weren't JWs

• shamus100
    shamus100

Child,

Think about how much that cult took up of your parents time. Take that out of the equation and you would be surprised how many hobbies and interesting things people do. Hiking, biking, fishing... the list goes on.

You don't know what you missed!

Kiss the monkey!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit