Pros about being a jehovah's witness

by raxxxx 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Public speaking.

• besunny
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Everyone seems to be posting about public speaking. I think it sent me back way in speaking skills b/c MS was so judgmental and critical. It was severe punishment for me.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I gained public speaking experience and also learned to be comfortable talking to many different kinds of people 1-on-1. I am now a high school teacher so these are useful skills in my work.

Also, it helped me quit smoking and doing drugs when I was in my early 20s. But I think I would have eventually done that anyway.

• Apt1201
    Apt1201

Band on the Run,

I can totally understand where you are coming from on this.

I recall you had to sit in the front row and someone would critique your talk. Very hard to take at times.

My BIL (still a JW) had a very hard time with this and I was always a bit embarressed for him. Don't feel that way now as he has caused our family way too many problems associated with JW's, but when I was young and dumb, it was a different matter.

• Darth Rutherford
    Darth Rutherford

Aside from learning to speak to an audience, debating one-on-one, living a disciplined life, enduring peer pressure, and avoiding lifestyles that could have been detrimental to my health, I have to admit they also taught me a basic understanding of the Bible.

Now, don't get me wrong, I absolutely disagree with much of their doctrine. Nevertheless, they taught me the basic importance of the Bible. The problem for them is that I used my respect and love for the Bible as a standard to which the WT itself does not adhere. How can they call the meeting "Bible Study" when they rarely use the Bible in it? It was actually reading the Bible that opened my eyes to the WT doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit