I am amazed at the ignorance............

by Night Owl 167 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ha, ha haha ha!!

Good points, Jonathan H....

But that reminds me...

Back in the late '90's there was a "Psychic Network" online....

Claimed to be able to tell you your future, what Wall Street was going to do, when the next big war was going to happen, and so on....

Well, eventually it was announced on the evening news that the "Psychic Network" had gone bankrupt....

And one of my co-workers made a CLASSIC comment!!

"Well, they sure didn't see THAT coming..."

Which pretty much sums up the value of psychic predictions.... r

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

I mean think about it, why does a world filled with all kinds of supernatural phenomenon look an awful lot like a world where they don't exist? If the answer to that question requires a lot of circuitous excuses for each supernatural phenomenon, then it's probably a good hint that it's all BS.

If psychics exists why is it always chainsmoking hillbillies winning the lottery? It's never a guy that says "Well, yeah I'm psychic. I mean I was working at walmart and then I was all like 'WTF, why am I stocking shelves? I can see the future! LOLZ' so I bought a lottery ticket. don't know why I didn't do it sooner." If psychics existed, there would be no lottery. It wouldn't be profitable. Psychics would be winning everyday. The powerball would never get over a few thousand dollars because twenty people would win it every day and split it among them. I mean hell, it's a two dollar ticket, if you make twenty bucks you might as well buy it while you're getting gas. All gambling would be rendered unprofitable. That's not to even mention the economic havoc of having psychic stock brokers. But amazingly all psychics on the planet seem pretty content to just let you pay them twenty bucks to tell you that you might get laid next week, and here are your lucky numbers. Also, I bent this spoon.

Then there are mediums, people that speak to the dead. They can even find specific people in the spirit world. Really? Then why the fuck don't they go tell a historian they have abe lincoln on the line? I mean they could produce verifiable unknown stories from antiquity. History would cease to be a mystery. We'd be able to find every pharoah's tomb, every burial ground. Businesses could consult with the great economists and brilliant minds of history that could stay in the loop. Just have the medium give Adam Smith a course in modern economics and let his brilliant mind go to work. Einstein could have tenure at a university. But no, these people's contribution to the world is to have some shmuck pay twenty bucks and tell him that granny says "i love you. Heaven is great, can't wait to see you."

What about consulting with super intelligent powerful demonic forces? Apparently there are people out there just summoning them and befriending them willy nilly. Why not put some of that super intelligence and power to work? Every company should have a satanist on staff to summon demons. "Hey dave, we're pretty swamped. Could you get 'Allegoth the one true visage of pain' to work out the kinks in this subroutine? We've got a deadline to hit." What? The demons wouldn't stoop to such menial tasks? Why not? Are they too busy knocking over your books, closing your doors, and blowing out your candles? It's not like they've got so much going on. I mean all dave had to do was burn some incense draw a few circles on the floor and say "I summon thee" three times and the demons are all like "fuck, I guess I will go chill out with dave for a while. His books seem pretty unsteady, I guess that'll give me something to do while I'm there." Why wouldn't every government be using demonic assassins? You don't need a navy seal team to get Bin Laden, you just give dave a piece of chalk, a gift card to "bed bath and beyond," and fifteen minutes and he'll find some demon that's bored enough to go axe somebody. But no, these people that communicate with demons just want to get emo haircuts, listen to the cure, and cut their arms because their girlfriend broke up with them on account of "drummer" not being a "real job", whatever that means.

If supernatural phenomenon were real like people claim, the world would be a fantastically different place. But the world looks exactly like these things are just made up. Despite the prevelance of these stories, they seem to have zero impact on any real aspect of the world. This should be a clue. They are artifacts of human psychology, they are not a reality that have an effect on the world we live in.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

I don't care.

I'm still going with my palm reader.

• Night Owl
    Night Owl

JH,

Such a windbag you are.

Because whatever is in the spirit realm does not behave the way YOU think it should, then it does not exist?

That is the thinking of a fool.

NightOwl

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

That's not the way I think it should, that's the way people claim it does. Until you ask them to do something meaningful with their talents then all of the sudden "it get's fuzzy."

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Night Owl you've had a whole month to stump up the goods on this thread and enlighten us with your obvious wisdom and vast experience in these matters and so far nothing, zip, nada. Why is that? Got nothing concrete to offer?

Please enlighten the ignorant....

• Flat_Accent
    Flat_Accent

Look Night Owl, I don't know who you think you are, but you're certainly coming across as an asshole right now.

You seem to have a problem that some others do on this forum, in thinking that because they haphazardly escaped one dogmatic cult, they've accrued some vast knowledge and understanding about what real 'truth' is. No. We're all stupid. We're stupid enough for being drawn into that cult in the first place, and we're stupid enough to probably do it again. Yes, that includes myself.

Secondly, I don't know where you got the idea that the Government has some sort of monopoly on occult information, and they're 'pursuing' it, as if there is anything even remotely tangible in doing so. I haven't seen a worthwhile politician in the US or Russia for a long time, let alone an intelligent one. Politicians are as stupid as the constituents that give them office, many of whom are also tied down by ridiculous superstition.

Third, although it's very easy to critisize the tried and tested way of proving things, what makes YOUR method any better? How are you evaluating your information, through personal account and revelation, or second hand testimony? Neither of those 'evidences' can come to you without some faulty information, and often times these things happen without a second witness.

If there is a supernatural dimension out there, once it can be assessed and proven, it will no longer be supernatural but natural, because it will be part of the natural world, and can be tested, reviewed, and used to further our understanding of the universe.

• Tater-T
    Tater-T

If there is a supernatural dimension out there, once it can be assessed and proven, it will no longer be supernatural but natural, because it will be part of the natural world, and can be tested, reviewed, and used to further our understanding of the universe

great point

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit