Where is the Statement That JWs Should Follow the GB Even If They Think They Are Wrong?

by Justitia Themis 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

OOPS ... I've had a Rick Perry moment. Later on, I'll see if I can figure out how to embed the vid.

• blondie
    blondie

*** w09 8/15 pp. 21-22 “Keep Yourselves in God’s Love” ***

Respect Authority

14 The second way we demonstrate our love for Jehovah involves authority. We must show respect for authority. Why is this so difficult for us to do at times? For one thing, humans in positions of authority are imperfect. In addition, we ourselves are imperfect. We struggle with an inborn tendency to rebel.

15 You might wonder, then, ‘If it is such a challenge for us to respect authority, why do we need to do it?’ The answer comes down to the issue of sovereignty. Whom will you choose as your sovereign, your ruler? If we choose Jehovah as our Sovereign, we need to respect his authority. If we do not, can we truthfully call him our Ruler? Furthermore, Jehovah usually exercises his authority through imperfect humans whom he entrusts with responsibility to care for his people. If we were to rebel against those humans, how would Jehovah view our actions?—Read 1 Thessalonians 5:12, 13.

16 For example, when the Israelites murmured and rebelled against Moses, Jehovah took their rebellious actions personally, as directed against him. (Num. 14:26, 27) God has not changed. If we were ever to rebel against those he has put in positions of authority, we would be rebelling against him!

17 The apostle Paul reveals the right attitude to cultivate toward those who have positions of responsibility in the Christian congregation. He wrote: “Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will render an account; that they may do this with joy and not with sighing, for this would be damaging to you.” (Heb. 13:17) Granted, it takes real effort on our part to develop such an obedient and submissive spirit. Remember, though, that we are working to remain in God’s love. Is that goal not worth our every effort?

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/192904/1/New-CO-talk-Be-loyal-to-Org-even-if-you-get-weird-instructions-or-can-prove-them-wrong-doctrinally

This question from Jesus is fundamental to the existence and structure of the religion and is its foundation Scripture. From it extends the concept that in 1919 God chose the Watchtower Society as his sole source of truth and henceforth justify why Jehovah's Witnesses need to submit unquestioningly to the Watchtower Governing Body.

"We need to obey the faithful and discreet slave to have Jehovah’s approval." Watchtower 2011 Jul 15 p.24 Simplified English Edition

"[A mature christian] does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbor private ideas when it comes to Bible understanding. Rather, he has complete confidence in the truth as it is revealed by Jehovah God through his Son, Jesus Christ, and "the faithful and discreet slave." Watchtower 2001 Aug 1 p.14

"Since Jehovah God and Jesus Christ completely trust the faithful and discreet slave, should we not do the same?" Watchtower 2009 Feb 15 p.27

"To act consistently with our baptism for life and into the Greater Noah we must submit to and cooperate with that slave and its legal instrument, the Watch Tower Society." Watchtower 1959 Oct 1 p.583

Theoretically, the Slave includes all "anointed" Witnesses today. In reality, the Governing Body have assumed this role upon themselves.

"The anointed and their other sheep companions recognize that by following the lead of the modern-day Governing Body, they are in fact following their Leader, Christ." Watchtower 2010 Sep 15 p.23

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/faithful-discreet-slave.php

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Justitia,

There was a CO talk recording discussed on this site a few months ago:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/210494/3/New-Curcuit-Overseer-Brainwash-Talk-Obey-the-Slave-even-if-you-find-a-serious-Flaw-in-JW-Doctrine

Of course if you are writing a paper, you will need a printed quote with the correct citation. (unlike the WT writers, who simply make an out-of-context quotation without giving the citation).

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Good compilation. The last one is pretty close, but I think there was a more recent one that was even more specific. Surely someone can remember where it was?

Thanks Atlantis--I footnoted several of them. Dropoffyourkeylee (and get yourself free) I can drop audio such as that in a footnote also, so thanks. Blondie, I used the Watchtower, 09, p.16 quote in the actual text of the article. ; )

But Slimboy is correct. I distinctly remember a very clear statement to the effect that even if one KNOWS FOR A FACT the GB is wrong, they will be judged by Jehovah for how well they follow the incorrect direction. I remember it shocked me because it totally changed the Bible's criteria for judging from understanding and doing to the correct thing to doing the thing you know to be wrong simply because someone told you to.

• wobble
    wobble

Yea JT, statements like that make the WT/JW religion sound just like a cult.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

marking (for future ammo)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JT:

Was there ever was an instance in the bible in ancient times where God taught something wrong for any length of time?? I didn't think so.

Why, then, would I follow a group of men who claim they are divinely "directed" and then keep changing their teaching and making wrong predictions?? Seriously, what divinity is guiding them??

I would have better luck with a crystal ball.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

OFF TOPIC, BUT...(Hope you don't mind JT) Just watched this JC reccording on YouTube. Which at least have the same theme of the OT ;-)

Got this from another thread, so credit goes to the original poster (Thank-you...enjoyed this one)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bHgDqgttH98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• ScenicViewer
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am surprised no one has found the quote yet, there were quite a few threads about it at the time. I have been racking my brain for a key word to search but I can't come up with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit