Where is the Statement That JWs Should Follow the GB Even If They Think They Are Wrong?

by Justitia Themis 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I am having difficulty locating the recent printed statement that JWs should follow the GB even if they think they are wrong. Would someone please let me know where that is?

I need it for my paper.

Thanks,

JT

• arko_n9ne
    arko_n9ne

page 93 and 94 of the elders manual ..pay attention to yourself.. states that anyone who spreads teachings of christianity not taught by jehovahs witnesses is considered an apostate. and that apostates are to be avoided.

last i checked in conjunction with the newer ..shepherding the flock.. manual they still use the pay attention manual as their guidelines to being elders.

the actual statement of obedience at all costs is in the transcripts of a hearing in scotland in the 50s. fred franz was asked if someone baptized as a witness had promoted an understanding of the bible not taught by witnesses would be disfellowshipped. franz answered yes.

then he was asked if the governing body later found the same understanding would that person still be disfellowshipped. he answered yes.

he went on to say that the understanding needs to start from the top and work to the bottom. any other way would cause chaos and that they needed uniformity at all costs.

i feel this is a loaded question because itd be nar impossible to get an admission in writing from the watchtower governing body

• Ding
    Ding

Watchtower, January 15, 1983, page 27: "… And just as in the first century there was only one true Christian organization so today Jehovah is using only one organization. (Ephesians 4:4, 5; Matthew 24:45-47). Yet there are some who point out that the organization has had to make adjustments before, and so they argue: 'This shows that we have to make up our own mind on what to believe.' This is independent thinking. Why is it so dangerous? Such thinking is an evidence of pride."

Watchtower, January 15, 1983, page 22: "… How is such independent thinking manifested? A common way is by questioning the council that is provided by God's visible organization."

Watchtower, May 15, 1984, page 17: "Do you refuse to listen to bitter criticism of Jehovah's organization? You should refuse."

Watchtower, March 15, 1986, page 17: "Beware of those who try to put forward their own contrary opinions."

• irondork
    irondork

tagged

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good quotes from Ding, and I remember, quite some years ago, either in print or in a talk we were told that we should follow instructions from the FDS even if we did not understand them or agree with them, we should simply be obedient.

It didn't sound right to me at the time, I thought "If you can't explain why, and make me agree by showing me from the Bible,why should I do as you say ?"

I guess my doubts about the organisation and its leadership were beginning even then.

• The JHWH
    The JHWH

"and I remember, quite some years ago, either in print or in a talk we were told that we should follow instructions from the FDS even if we did not understand them or agree with them, we should simply be obedient."

Idk if this is what you meant, but it seems to fit your description:

In modern times, there have been refinements
    in our understanding of certain
    Bible teachings. This should not trouble us;
    it should bolster our confidence in the faithful
    and discreet slave class. When representative
    members of the “slave” discern
    that our viewpoint on some point of truth
    needs to be clarified or corrected, they do
    not hold back from making the adjustment.
    The slave class is more interested
    in cooperating with God’s unfolding purpose
    than in shielding itself from criticism
    over an adjusted understanding. How do
    you react when an adjustment in our understanding
    of the Scriptures is presented?

-Watchtower 15 July 2011 page 30.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I doubt you will find a statement to that effect. They like to beat around the bush rather than make blatently cultish statements.

The article you are looking for might be 15 Sept 2011, particularly pages 28 & 29

• The JHWH
    The JHWH

There was an article that demanded JW's to never the GB's authority, is this the one you were looking for?

"The spirit that now operates in the sons of disobedience" is so widespread that it is like the air we breathe. (Eph. 2:2) That spirit can cause us to think that we do not need guidance from Jehovah's organization. Surely we do not want to be like Diotrephes, who would not 'receive anything from the apostle John with respect.' (3 John 9,10) We need to guard against developing a spirit of independence. By word or action, may we never challenge the channel of communication that Jehovah is using today. (Num 16:1-3) On the contrary, we should cherish our privilege to cooperate with the slave class. And should we not strive to be obedient and submission to those taking the lead in our local congrgation? - Read Hebrews 13:7,17.

-Watchtower 15 November 2009 page 13.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't know where it is, but I am sure there was a statement a couple of years ago along the lines of warning that the governing body might give instructions the reasons for which are not fully understood or that are difficult to follow but that faithful Witnesses should follow the instructions anyway.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

By word or action, may we never challenge the channel of communication that Jehovah is using today. (Num 16:1-3)

Except that is not what Num. 16:1-3 says. In fact, 4-7 goes on to stand for the opposite. Korah and his band of rebels were encouraged to test whether Moses was the true holy one. It was not a prohibition against mounting a challenge to Moses as the JWs would like you to believe, which would beg the question: who is the true representative of God?

1 Now Korah, the son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, with Dathan and Abiram, the sons of Eliab, and On, the son of Peleth, sons of Reuben, took men:

2 and they rose up before Moses, with certain of the children of Israel, two hundred and fifty princes of the congregation, called to the assembly, men of renown;

3 and they assembled themselves together against Moses and against Aaron, and said unto them, Ye take too much upon you, seeing all the congregation are holy, every one of them, and Jehovah is among them: wherefore then lift ye up yourselves above the assembly of Jehovah?

4 And when Moses heard it, he fell upon his face:

5 and he spake unto Korah and unto all his company, saying, In the morning Jehovah will show who are his, and who is holy, and will cause him to come near unto him: even him whom he shall choose will he cause to come near unto him.

6 This do: take you censers, Korah, and all his company;

7 and put fire in them, and put incense upon them before Jehovah to-morrow: and it shall be that the man whom Jehovah doth choose, he shall be holy: ye take too much upon you, ye sons of Levi.

Moses encouraged independant thinking, and dared them to challenge him; like Korah of old, JWs also have the right to challenge if they want to rely on Numbers. If non-JWs are wrong, they will be proven false. Of course, the JWs have not been able to prove that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit