Who designed cancer?

by snare&racket 148 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

And I repeat, if you know of bacteria, that is Super bugs, jumping the species barrier, please let me know

And I repeat, how are you choosing to define species? Earlier you didn't seem to know the difference between species and genus.

I'll carry on with my reading. I love reading

I assume mean Jack Chick comics?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Cofty, for your attention. Thanks again to Wikipedia under "species" and "genus" for those that are interested. There's a nice diagram, but I am unable to reproduce it. If there's a random crossing between "family", "genus" and "species" you would have a "big buggerup" (Armageddon in Pidgin English):

The hierarchy of biological classification 's eight major taxonomic ranks , which is an example of definition by genus and differentia . A genus contains one or more species. Intermediate minor rankings are not shown.

In biology , a species is one of the basic units of biological classification and a taxonomic rank . A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring. While in many cases this definition is adequate, more precise or differing measures are often used, such as similarity of DNA, morphology or ecological niche. Presence of specific locally adapted traits may further subdivide species into subspecies .

Species that are believed to have the same ancestors are grouped together, and this group is called a genus . A species can only belong to one genus that it was grouped into. The belief is best checked by a similarity of their DNA , but for practical reasons, other similar properties are used. For plants similarities of flowers are used. All species are given a two part name (a "binomial name"). The first part of a binomial name is the generic name , the genus of the species. The second part is either the specific name (a term used only in zoology, never in botany, for the second part of a binomial) or the specific epithet (the term always used in botany, which can also be used in zoology). For example, Boa constrictor, which is commonly called by its binomial name, and is one of four species of the Boa genus. The first part of the name is capitalized, and the second part has a lower case. The two part name is written in italics.

A usable definition of the word "species" and reliable methods of identifying particular species are essential for stating and testing biological theories and for measuring biodiversity , though other taxonomic levels such as families may be considered in broad scale studies. [1] Extinct species known only from fossils are generally difficult to assign precise taxonomic rankings, which is why higher taxonomic levels such as families are often used for fossil based studies. [1][2]

The total number of non-bacterial species in the world has been estimated at 8.7 million, [3] with previous estimates ranging from two million to 100 million. [4]

In biology , a genus (plural: genera) is a low-level taxonomic rank used in the biological classification of living and fossilorganisms , which is an example of definition by genus and differentia . Genera and higher taxonomic levels such as families are used in biodiversity studies, particularly in fossil studies since species cannot always be confidently identified and genera and families typically have longer stratigraphic ranges than species. [1]

The term comes from Latin genus "descent, family, type, gender", [2] cognate with Greek : γ?νο ς – genos, "race, stock, kin". [3]

The hierarchy of biological classification 's eight major taxonomic ranks , which is an example of definition by genus and differentia . A family contains one or more genera. Intermediate minor rankings are not shown.

The composition of a genus is determined by a taxonomist . The standards for genus classification are not strictly codified so different authorities often produce different classifications for genera. In the hierarchy of the binomial classification system, genus comes above species and below family .

Life

Domain

Kingdom

Phylum

Class

Order

Family

Genus

Species

• cofty
    cofty

Vid - why the pointless copy & paste? I asked you how YOU were defining species. Are you seriously denying speciation?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Like I said, a jump in species would be a turnup for the books. A jump of genus, unheard of. In my day species went by this definition: " A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring." Nowadays they use DNA, morphology and ecological niche to classify organisms more accurately. Quite a few bacteria were reclassified according to their DNA.

• cofty
    cofty

a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring

So for the third or fourth time are you denying speciation through natural selection?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

If you mean natural selection as the nonrandom process by which biological traits become either more or less common in a population as a function of differential reproduction of their bearers? Yes, then I do believe in natural selection.

• cofty
    cofty

I didn't ask you that I asked you if you are denying speciation.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Yes, I deny speciation. It cannot be proved. It's a theory, and will remain a theory until proven. As I've mentioned before, I believe in the concept of adaptation, whereas I disagree with evolution. Here I strictly follow Dictionary defenitions (Webster). I won't bore you with these.

• cofty
    cofty

So for example did your god create black headed, herring, lesser black backed, greater black backed and common gulls individually as special acts of creation?

ETA - Lets ignore your ignorance of the scientific term "theory" for now.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Here's some interesting reading for those interested in the subject: Investigations of the modes of natural selection and how they account for adaptation are Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker, new ed. (2000); Michael R. Rose and George V. Lauder (eds.), Adaptation (1996); and Timothy A. Mousseau, Barry Sinervo, and John A. Endler (eds.), Adaptive Genetic Variation in the Wild (2000). The adaptive evolution of finches in the Galapagos is the subject of Peter R. Grant, Ecology and Evolution of Darwin's Finches (1986, reissued 1999); this topic is presented in a popular version by Jonathan Weiner, The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time (1994). Francisco J. Ayala, Population and Evolutionary Genetics: A Primer (1982), provides an introduction to the genetics of the evolutionary process. More advanced and mathematically demanding works are Philip W. Hedrick, Genetics of Populations, 2nd ed. (2000); and Daniel L. Hartl and Andrew G. Clark, Principles of Population Genetics, 3rd ed. (1997). The origin of species is the subject of Michael J.D. White, Modes of Speciation (1978); and of the more comprehensive Ernst Mayr, Animal Species and Evolution (1963; also published as Population, Species, and Evolution, 1970), which is a classic work. G. Ledyard Stebbins, Flowering Plants: Evolution Above the Species Level (1974), discusses plant speciation and evolution. A useful textbook is Jerry A. Coyne and H. Allen Orr, Speciation (2004).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit