The US Will Become a Police State (not a joke)

by metatron 113 Replies latest jw friends

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    BTS, personal property can only be defined by social contract: law. It is all a concept, be it tangible or intangible. The idea of ownership is also a concept. So that said, property is whatever the law defines it to be. Can someone own a tree? Only if the concept exists in the social contract. So your argument falls flat. Law defines property, and law has defined intellectual property. Just because you don't like that part of the constitution does not change the fact that property is defined by law.

I'll shorten that for you.

"So and so is so and so because the law and the social contract (WTF is that, really?) says so, end of story."

That is an intellectual cop out.

170 years ago NewChapter would have defended the law and the social contract as proof that humans were property too. The institution had existed since the beginning of recorded history, after all. That is quite a "social contract." It was allowed in the Constitution and other laws as well, so it was defined by law.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Back on topic.

Police statism isn't a bright line you cross. It is a continuum from liberty to its opposite.

Where it is that you can point and say "Police State!" is somewhat subjective.

Suffice it to say, the country has moved in the wrong direction on that continuum in some respects.

We have the world's largest prison population. A great many of those jailed are for non-violent, victimless crimes. If China is a police state, what are we?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So BTS, you dismiss my argument? Property is a concept defined by social contract and by law---and you turn that into so and so blah blah blah? I thought big minds discussed ideas. What else defines property?

When evidence of social contracts began to show among H. erectus, we also saw a huge leap in stone tool technology. Previous to that, there was no evidence of social contract and therefore property. Primates for instance have no concept of property and stealing is the norm for them. It is a cultural concept, but discussing it makes you disintegrate the conversation into blah blah. Okay, I thought you wanted to discuss ideas. Apparently not.

Are you comparing slavery to intellectual property?

NC

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

NewChapter:

In some respects I think we are and that some of our personal freedoms are being taken away. Where I grew up in my formative years my personal freedom was restricted in where I could not buy alcohol in the county in which I lived.

If it looks like I do not have my seatbelt on a cop can pull me over and give me a ticket. If I was honest I could not join in any branch of the military (thanks Clinton) and if I was in a relationship with someone I love I wouldn't have some of the same legal protections as other couples since they automatically get those with their relationship in marriage (thanks for DOMA again Clinton). So I say in some respects, yes. I'm not saying we are exactly a police state but we are inexorably headed that way.

LRG

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Too dense to think for itself, it will only regurgitate what it has been fed in school.

And I will ignore the dumb question at the end. My meaning was plain in the prior post.

Good night.

• talesin
    talesin

I wonder how people that live in real police states view comments that we are living in a police state.

My friend is Syrian, and he DOES believe we are heading that way -- he loves Canadian rights and freedoms so much ---

Syria IS a police state --- let's not forget to protect what freedoms we have!

tal

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

With that argument LRG, one could say that any law restricting our freedoms constitute a police state. I am arguing that degree matters. And here is the thing--DADT has been repealed. What chance of that in a police state? The public is pushing (me included) for same sex marriage to be recognized. We are making headway and gaining more, not less freedom. Does this happen in a police state? When people jump on here and claim we are already living in a police state, it cheapens what that really means and dismisses the suffering of those that live in real police states.

You say we are heading that way---and yet in many ways we are heading the opposite direction. It's right to resist if you feel your personal liberty is at risk, but to define us as a police state seems unreasonable. We lose some freedoms, we gain some--this has always been the course.

We can carry bibles with no fear that this is going to be taken from us. Women can drive, vote and hold political office with now imminent danger of losing that. We are gaining in civil rights in many areas--not fast enough but we are making it happen. If we don't like something we are still free to gather and protest. We can speak out, we can write, we can associate with others of like opinion. We can shout down our politicians, we can create petitions and circulate them. This is not a police state.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Too dense to think for itself, it will only regurgitate what it has been fed in school.

And I will ignore the dumb question at the end. My meaning was plain in the prior post.

Good night

So first you are angry because I didn't discuss ideas to your satisfaction. Then when I try to discuss ideas, you end the conversation. Then you object that I got an education and use it to form those ideas. Goodnight. You are not up to the challenge anyway.

NC

• rocky220
    rocky220

Hi guys!!!!! Go to Google and type in "REX 84" click on search and hold on to your hats......no joke.

Rocky220

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I'm scared just living next door to you guys.. and I feel terrible for you yanks.. mostly because I personally feel the US will invade Canada at some point of time in the next 7-10 years. Why buy the oil, when you can just take it?

--------

LOL...you haven't been paying attention. The USA will never invade Canada - ever. The most likely scenario, as Canada closes it's border tighter with the endorsement of the USA, is that all the wealthiest Americans will exit the USA when it really falls and join all the others that have already fled up here. There's a reason that Canada has tightened it's immigration so much at the same time working with the USA to track every single person coming and going. There's a reason why all those camps are positioned in every single US state and why you now have indefinite detention of US citizens inside your own country. There's a reason why you have military drones spying on civilians and rounding them up - the military and police have now crossed lines and will now work to keep you in line together.

There was a terror warning put out on cell phones this past week - telling people to take cover. There are agencies tracking down who is using food storage facilities aka stockpiling food; agencies visiting farm stores and gun shops to compile lists; shutting down raw milk producers and invading Mennonite farms; they invaded a Utah natural foods group and forced them to pour bleach all over their food to destroy it - fast and furious just exposed guns for drugs and then laundering the money in the USA - the list goes on.

They want people to fight over a waffle iron during a sale -

sammies

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit