The US Will Become a Police State (not a joke)

by metatron 113 Replies latest jw friends

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I consider intellectual property real property. The constitution protects me from those who would like to steal that property. I value those things and give them a great deal of weight. Every protection limits other people in some way. We've come this far with these protections. We have the internet, amazing computer abilities, medicine that has reached near sci-fi expectations, books, music, gadgets, art, drama, movies, vehicles----all while being bound by these freedom killing laws. I'm pretty sure the protections are worth the cost. It hasn't stifled us all that much.

NC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Great minds discuss ideas
    Average minds discuss events
    Small minds discuss people

Is this meant to brand me as a small mind?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    I consider intellectual property real property. The constitution protects me from those who would like to steal that property.

It is a legal fiction, and you cannot steal IP. You can only infringe on a government-enforced exclusivity. Information wants to be free. You can't steal knowledge.

and

You can't own knowledge.

If you don't think that innovation will happen without copyright/patents, I point you towards the open source software movement as evidence that it does.

• d
    d

This country is not where near a police state quit, the conspiracy theory nonsense.Fear is used a means of control.

• botchtowersociety
  • littlerockguy
  • NewChapter
    NewChapter

LRG---how do our personal liberties compare to those of Saudi Arabia in the 70's?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It is a legal fiction, and you cannot steal IP. You can only infringe on a government-enforced exclusivity. Information wants to be free. You can't steal knowledge.

BTS, personal property can only be defined by social contract: law. It is all a concept, be it tangible or intangible. The idea of ownership is also a concept. So that said, property is whatever the law defines it to be. Can someone own a tree? Only if the concept exists in the social contract. So your argument falls flat. Law defines property, and law has defined intellectual property. Just because you don't like that part of the constitution does not change the fact that property is defined by law.

NC

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

NewChapter:

I remember one time when I was 10 years old my parents allowed me to attend a Christian church meeting. Of course it was underground and quiet and I dont remember having a Bible, at least we didn't since they weren't allowed in the country. I don't know what would have happened if it were found out. So I do have freedom of/from worship here that they don't have; and I wouldn't be put to death here being gay, as I would there.

LRG

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So, putting aside concerns that we are slipping into a police state for the moment, would say that we ARE a police state already? Would you say that we already lack the personal freedoms that police states lack?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit