Evolution : Where are we headed to

by bioflex 50 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

“That kind of critical thinking, that kind of questioning God, it always births an antichrist.” Okay---CULT ALARM---anyone that discourages critical thinking isn’t worth listening to. I have stopped the video. I remember when I believed that such “independent” thinking was dangerous and look what it got me. I’m surprised an ex JW would put faith in this kind of thing. I’m finished.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

LOL, let me quote this guy: “His book tends to be an index, I don’t like to read whole entire books, I like the Reader’s Digest version?” He said that. This is getting downright hysterical.

I know i was gonna stop watching it, but it's like a bad accident. I can't look away.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Bioflex, we are going one of three places:
    1) Extinction of our reproductive lines.
    2) Evolution into one or many species through either biological or technological means.
    3) Discovering immortality and staying the same forever without reproduction.

All of these at the same time, I believe.

#1 Speciation

#2 Functional immortality in one or several of the branches.

#3 Some branches may be dead ends.

BTS

• unshackled
    unshackled

BTS: #2 Functional immortality in one or several of the branches.

We will fall to the 'immortal' jellyfish as they take over the oceans, then eventually crawl onto land. Just a guess. But I, for one, welcome our coming new jellyfish overlords.

The Telegraph: 'Immortal' jellyfish swarming across the world

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    My BS meter exploded.

Earlier I only watched for 30 seconds or so and stopped it. All I needed to see.

• bioflex
    bioflex

@NewChapter: i guess the man is a preacher so its understandable the way he talks right?

and one thing i would like to ask, do you think at a point in time we would just go ahead and accept beastiality? i mean if we look at it from the perspective of evolution then i think people who fight for such freedom would be justified soon ehough right?

• sizemik
    sizemik
    Evolution is typically slow, unless soemthing drastic comes into play.

This aspect is gaining increased understanding and is probably better recognised than in the past.

Cataclysm is a major factor in evolution because of it's slow rate. Major eruptions (supervolcanoes) and comet/asteroid impacts while rare to us . . . are still a regular part of the overall history of the earth and can eradicate vast numbers of species including hominids. A large supervolcano eruption can trigger temperature reduction and advancing glaciation lasting 1000's of years.

The development of complexity does not guarantee survival unless it has foreseeability. Cataclysms are destructive and random. Cataclysms can set the progression of evolutionary complexity back eons. The time scale involved almost makes it a smugness to accept without question that evolution is at it's most advanced. Who knows what the world was like prior to a cataclysm that occurred 1B years ago?

The history of the earth is beginning to look more involved than a steady progression from simple to complex.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

and one thing i would like to ask, do you think at a point in time we would just go ahead and accept beastiality? i mean if we look at it from the perspective of evolution then i think people who fight for such freedom would be justified soon ehough right

Yes. I would expect a preacher to discourage critical thinking. I would also expect a preacher to balk at reading a WHOLE book. Not all preachers though---just this kind.

BESTIALITY?? Actually I would expect evolution to work AGAINST bestiality. The entire concept of speciation is that groups become so genetically different from each other, they can no longer reproduce. Yet it goes deeper than the ability to reproduce. As species change from each other they lose sexual recognition. In other words, species no longer recognize each other as mates. This recognition is based on color patterns, odors, and behavior among other things.

If anything, evolution works against bestiality and could never be used as justification for such--although evolution is a process and not a moral code. However, being involved in a religion that represses normal sexual urges could lead to bestiality. If normal sexual urges are always accompanied by shame, then a person could start to equate that shame with sexual satisfaction. Perhaps shame becomes so connected with sexual pleasure, that having one is having another. What could be more shameful than bestiality?

See Bioflex---was it nice or accurate of me to try and argue that religion pushes one to bestiality? I don't even know if there is any truth in the above argument, I made it up. Just like you are making it up. Why would you say something like evolutionists would argue for bestiality? We are all humans and share some general cultural norms. Most cultures have taboos against incest (though they may define it differently), murder, and bestiality. There is good biological reason for this and it is expressed culturaly. The part that baffles me in your statement is i mean if we look at it from the perspective of evolution then i think people who fight for such freedom would be justified soon ehough right Exactly what freedom are you referring to? I've never known an evolutionist who fought for bestiality. Are you just throwing around insults?

• bioflex
    bioflex

@NewChapter: was it nice or accurate of me to try and argue that religion pushes one to bestiality? I don't even know if there is any truth in the above argument, I made it up. Just like you are making it up

Well i would say since religion is mostly about morality and beneficial conducts(depends on who is benefiting here) i dont think it would push for beastiality.It should rather be against it.

On the other hand evolution does not encourage morality, i mean its by accident and some random/natural processes right? so what has evolution got to argue about beastiality. Now i suppose there are some species even humans can mate with to reproduce no? if then woudnt that be the way to go? Well i am making this up too.

• sizemik
    sizemik
    On the other hand evolution does not encourage morality

How do you know this? The basic concept of "do unto others" is a natural consequence of self-awareness. Several animal species display morally motivated behaviours. Basic morality may simply be an expression of a complex evolutionary survival benefit. It could even be argued that the evolutionary push toward higher levels of morality is hindered by the adversarial intervention of religions still rooted in racial tribalism.

Evolution could well be striving for a higher moral awareness in spite of religion not because of it. A lack of morality is contrary to the survival of the individual, so the individual will respond by seeking it. It favours his survival. That's all the "encouragement" evolution needs . . . survival.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit