What did Jesus mean at Matthew 10:34-36?

by serenitynow! 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

Shelby- The Jews have Bat Kol, top that, my god is better than your god

• bioflex
    bioflex

@Prodigalson: If "faith" in Christ or "accepting" Christ or "believing" in Christ, the MAN, as you say, is the only way to salvation, then what of the approximately 5 billion who are not Christians, and never will be?

That is not for us any man to decide, our duty as christians is to preach the message of salvation through Christ to the world, it does not matter whether they listen or not. Christ said the end will come when His message has been preached throuout the world and thats what we wait now.

Or let's take the 2 billion or so who DO claim to be Christian and yet are hypocrites....

well you said it yourself right?. Jesus said in revelation, you have to be hot or cold, and 1 man cannot serve 2 masters. The fact that one calls himself a christian does not make him one, the way he lives does.

Not to mention, what does getting "saved" mean, and what is the consequence of NOT getting "saved"?

like i said earlier, the salvation Christ is offering us now is for eternal life. And the promise of a new heaven and earth. Now from the scriptures we know the consequences for the devil and his angels who rebelled in heaven - Eternal Fire. So just figure out what happens to those reject Christ even after they have been given the chance to salvation.

Is God going to determnine the fate of people based on whether or not they accepted what's written in a very poorly written book full of errors, since this information or prrof of his existence is nowhere else to be found?

To call the bible a poorly written book full of errors is absurd. Its the word of God, see the thing is if God came down and told some of you he created the world in six literal days you would still not believe him, cos from a human perspective it is impossible. But nothing is impossible for God.

Again you do realise that the bible is also meant to serve as a guide/reproof to us. It talks about the lives of people who have lived before us and the choices/consequencies they made/faced.

Before i end this, let me say, that some people who are/were ingorant about Jesus/God are going to live their judgement (read revelations), unlike those who know/knew him who would be judged according to acceptance of christ.

• designs
    designs

Jesus supported Slavery

• N.drew
    N.drew

Who knows the will of God, but God? They say the will of God is we all become Jehovah's Witnesses. Even if it is true that God's will is we all become JWs, there is no way anyone on The Earth can know that so it is NOT OK to teach it.

Romans 14:4

http://biblos.com/romans/14-4.htm

• bioflex
    bioflex

@Designs : Has any man ever seen God, if not how then do we become JW's?. i thought we were supposed to be witnesses of Jesus Christ? Those WT guys are insane.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Look at the Jewish culture at the time those words were allegedly spoken. Children were to growup, marry, have kids of their own and keep the family farm/business going. This is a complete 180 of how those who were part of "The Way" allegedly lived.

Those who made up the first congregation allegedly sold all their belongings, pulled their resources, and lived like a hippy commune so that they could publicly preach. After all, they were living in the last days. The end was nigh.

I'm sure that really pissed off a lot of parent and in-laws. In a sense, it was a lifestyle completely opposite of how they were raised. However, Jesus did not say, "For whomever refuses to shun their family members because they are non-believers shall not inherit the kingdom."

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

“It is true because it is absurd. I believe because it is impossible.”

-Tertullian, on Christianity

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

"Reason is the Devil's whore." -Martin Luther

• tec
    tec

Ok Shelby, and Tammy....

Ok Pson ;)

If "faith" in Christ or "accepting" Christ or "believing" in Christ, the MAN, as you say, is the only way to salvation, then what of the approximately 5 billion who are not Christians, and never will be?

Okay, first... not just the man, but the Son of God, who is Spirit as well.

Plenty of 'christians' aren't Christian as well, as you can see by the things that they do. Ignoring Christ and following their own hearts/spirit. Faith is more than just words... it is in your heart and what is in your heart compels what you do. (deeds)

Of those who are not "christian"... some are saved by having done good to those who are Christ's brothers/sisters (I tell you the truth, if someone gives a drink of cold water to one of these because he is my brother, he will not lose his reward; or whatever you have done for one of the least of these, you have done for me). Some have the law written naturally on their heart (as some gentiles did - Paul spoke of this). God may have mercy upon whomever He wishes to have mercy upon; then there are also these promises: forgive and be forgiven; show mercy, and mercy will be shown to you. Those who are Christian (annointed with holy spirit) make up the Body of Christ. The bride of Christ. But the Kingdom is also open to these others... guests at the wedding banquet?

Or let's take the 2 billion or so who DO claim to be Christian and yet are hypocrites....

Well, they may wish to heed these words:

"Away from me you evildoers... I never knew you."

Christ said those words for the benefit of some who claimed to have done things in his name; yet did not actually follow Him.

Let's even say that the vast majority of BOTH groups are doing good works, very neighborly and loving, good family people, blah blah blah....Who's getting "saved", and who's not, and on what basis?

All of the above are things that are written; so are ways that we can see the difference between some who are or are not saved. But overlying all of it is the mercy of God, and that for those who do belong to Christ, He washes over their sins and offers forgiveness... as we should also, since we are following Him.

Not to mention, what does getting "saved" mean, and what is the consequence of NOT getting "saved"?

I understand saved to be given life... a place in the Kingdom (I think of as a spiritual place). Not saved to be...well, means death.

Oh, and also not to mention, that the only reports we have of this Exclusive Savior are contradictory and for the most part not in any way shape or form credulous?

I can't answer something like that without some sort of direction as to what you mean.

Is God going to determnine the fate of people based on whether or not they accepted what's written in a very poorly written book full of errors, since this information or prrof of his existence is nowhere else to be found?

It seems not.

Peace to you,

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ummmm... dear tec (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!) pretty much summed it up, dear PSon (peace to you, as well!)... so I've nothing to add. Best you're glad of THAT, eh? LOLOLOL!

The Jews have Bat Kol, top that, my god is better than your god

Actually, I think you're gonna find out it's the same God, dear designs (peace to you, too, dear one!) - LOLOLOLOL!

Jesus supported Slavery

Ummmm... not really, dear one. He actually taught his disciples to release them. What need did they have of slaves? Some couldn't find it in themselves to do that (how would the slave live?)... and some slaves didn't want releasing (how would they feed themselves?). Given the times, it might be "better" for one to be a servant (especially if they were extremely poor, with mouths to feed, etc.). No different than most who are employed now: slaving... but for pay/sustenance. Even so, there were directions and exhortations as to how each was to treat the other: always in imitation of Christ and HIS love (i.e., "What you want others to do as to YOU, you must do as to them!").

"Slavery" is a dirty word due only to the bad connotations associated with it (i.e., man's abuse of it). If you have a job where you are not your own "master" (i.e., you have a "boss")... you are a slave. Really. You might not like the word, but it's true. True, "employee" may SOUND better... but IT only means you're a "tool." So...

Peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit