What did Jesus mean at Matthew 10:34-36?

by serenitynow! 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to turn a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law a man's enemies will be the members of his own household."

I have only understood it in the JW sense when it is used as justification for ripping a JW family apart because one stops believing in the JW lie.

I've got JW family coming to town this weekend, and I need to get my crap together.

Help me, please!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'm not sure but I'll ask him tonight at bedtime and get back to you if he gets back to me.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!
    I'm not sure but I'll ask him tonight at bedtime and get back to you if he gets back to me.

You're too much, 609! Help me out!

• tec
    tec

I understand sword to mean truth. The truth is rarely pleasant for us to hear or face, about ourselves.

I think Christ's words... 'turning a man against his father, etc'... are simply a telling of what is going to happen when some face and follow the truth; and others hate the truth and those who follow the truth. So that there would be division in households. I don't think that it is those who follow the Truth (Christ - not a religion or its leaders) who do the turning away. I think it happens the other way around.

Peace,

Tammy

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Help me out!

ok ok, if I have to guess.... well, this scripture has always bothered me and I've finally come to the conclusion that Jesus must have been drunk and feeling mean when he wrote...er I mean, said, it.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

does your atheist husband hate the truth, tec?

• tec
    tec

I don't know. I don't think he knows what the truth is TO hate it. He hates that I have faith in Christ though.

• tec
    tec

Well, actually, I think he hates that I have faith, period. He doesn't really know what I believe; he can't talk about it (or listen) without being annoyed, so I don't bring it up to him anymore.

• 2tone
    2tone

hmm... I dont really know

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

IDK. Maybe Jesus was just saying what the leaders of new cults have always said: "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition."

There is a Wiki article but it only states the obvious: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_10:34

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit