What did Jesus mean at Matthew 10:34-36?

by serenitynow! 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

Interesting that the Gospel narratives place blame on the people who are under the thumb of the most powerful army on earth occupying their homeland.

Imagine the Russian Army in its hayday occupying Rhode Island and then Preachers in Rhode Island blaming and condemning the citizens. You get a glimmer of what is totally wrong with the Gospels.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Interesting that the Gospel narratives place blame on the people who are under the thumb of the most powerful army on earth occupying their homeland.

So true. What gets lost in the sauce is the fact that Jesus did not deny being King of the Jews when questioned by Pilate. That in itself was punishable by crucifixion. The Jews were simply not allowed to have any king other then Caesar. There's no way that Pilate was able to wash his hands of it. The implication of that is, even if the Jews had unanimously accepted Jesus as King and Messiah, he would have still been crucified.

In the same vein, Jesus alienated the Jews by claiming to be God, so he was punishable by death in their eyes too.

By the way, the Romans destroyed Jerusalem in 70 CE for basically one reason: the last vestige of truth in the Jewish kingdom was practicing there and driving the insurgency: the Illuminist Gnostic Kabbalists. Those who know and who can illuminate mankind that he is under the thumb of a small group of rich old assholes who inherited all their money and power from their dynastic family lineages. Like the Knights Templars et al, they are the only real threat to the Status Quo, the Power Elite.

• tec
    tec

The belief that God exists outside of yourself with an unbridgable gulf in between is a Satanic one,

But that - an unbridgable gulf - is the opposite of what Christ taught. Christ is the 'bridge'. Know Christ, know God. Love Chirst, love God. "If you love me you will obey my teachings, and my Father will love you, and we will come and make our home with you."

Peace,

Tammy

• AGuest
    AGuest

Thank you, dear tec (the greatest of love and peace to you!)! There is indeed a gap, but it is not "unbridgable", at all! That IS a lie, indeed, a Satanic belief (thank YOU, dear PS... and peace to YOU!). God cannot reside withIN us... or we in HIM... without that Bridge. Christ is what (who) "connects" us to God... and He to us. Unfortunately, so many are trying to see... and reconcile... Christ, the MAN... and/or God through the [old] Law... that they can't see... grasp... get... the whole SPIRIT aspect of it. Of him. Of THEM.

Again, peace to you.. and thank you, both, for bringing out these truths!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

tammy: But that - an unbridgable gulf - is the opposite of what Christ taught. Christ is the 'bridge'. Know Christ, know God.

Agreed..... but if you you ever want to look into what it takes to really know God.... which is Gnosis, then you might understand the ridiculousness of making a statement like "all you have to do is 'accept Jesus'". Hitler "accepted" Jesus and where did that get him? The ascended Masters and any spiritual teacher of any secret society will tell you that sometimes gnosis isn't achieved after several incarnations and lifetimes of study and meditation. The idea that "accepting" Christ will save you is absurd, cheapening and demeaning, and an idea stemming from utter ignorance. First you have to know exactly what Christ is.... and it certainly is NOT a Jewish guy named Yehoshua Ben Josef, or the ridiculous Hellenized name of Jesus. Christhood is the almost unattainable Holy Grail that will finally liberate a soul from repeated incarnations into this hell that we think is God's creation. Look into the word Merkabah for a better idea, then those chariot visions of Ezekiel might make some sense.

The good news is, EVERYONE gets to gnosis eventually. The paths we choose will determine if it takes a few lifetimes or thousands.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Lo and behold:

Saul of Tarsus combines Mithraism with Judaism and invents "Christianity", probably the darkest religion ever introduced to this planet... a couple of hundred million murders and untold suffering in the name of Christ and counting....

The Mithras Deception

http://armageddonconspiracy.co.uk/The-Mithras-Deception%281753794%29.htm

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Desirous of change, no, my family has not used the scripture against me. I just would like to address the rift in the family because I don't want to be a JW. I've known JWs to use that scripture to justify the discord that occurs when a family member is treated as an enemy for leaving the JWs. The way I'm feeling right now though, if they start some shit, I won't even try to reason with them, I may just tell 'em to go to hell!

• sd-7
    sd-7
    So true. What gets lost in the sauce is the fact that Jesus did not deny being King of the Jews when questioned by Pilate. That in itself was punishable by crucifixion. The Jews were simply not allowed to have any king other then Caesar. There's no way that Pilate was able to wash his hands of it. The implication of that is, even if the Jews had unanimously accepted Jesus as King and Messiah, he would have still been crucified.

Maybe, maybe not. If this was a private conversation between Pilate and Jesus, it could be argued that there was no actual proof beyond dubious accusations from people who were just jealous. Either way, clearly the Jews' response to Pilate, "We have no king but Caesar," did almost seem like a veiled threat to Pilate, that if he refused to execute Jesus, they would bring report of it to Caesar, and Pilate himself might be at the very least removed from power, if not executed himself. But I've always felt that it's odd people don't hate Italians for killing Jesus, but always the Jews. Shows you how misinformed people are. It was humans who did it, regardless of where they were from, and that's really all that matters; both Jews and Romans were amongst the first Christians anyway, so if Jesus forgave 'em, so can everybody else.

Serenitynow, the thing about the JW use of that scripture is, as usual, the JW ability to make assumptions about the world around it. JWs seem to have an inflated sense of their importance, especially given that the very New Testament was written only to their anointed ones... Anyway, they automatically treat those who disagree with them as "enemies". But this is not the case. It doesn't have to be. Enemies are people I would consider as quite likely to try to kill you. People who would turn you over to the authorities just for your beliefs, or abandon you to dangerous situations. I can't imagine most decent people doing that. I don't think you would do that, therefore, you're not their enemy.

Jesus was highlighting the fact that faith in him could potentially cost us everything, even the love of our family members. The idea is that even bonds that close may have to be sacrificed in order to hold onto one's faith in the Christ. This is a general statement not confined to a 19th/20th/21st century religious group that claims to be true Christians; this is about anyone who wants to follow the Christ.

Hey, remember, they said it themselves--they're witnesses of Jehovah, so...strictly speaking, it kinda doesn't even apply to them at all. For them, Jesus is just that guy who sits next to the anointed in the pictures.

--sd-7

• tec
    tec

Thank you, dear tec (the greatest of love and peace to you!)! There is indeed a gap, but it is not "unbridgable", at all! That IS a lie, indeed, a Satanic belief (thank YOU, dear PS... and peace to YOU!). God cannot reside withIN us... or we in HIM... without that Bridge. Christ is what (who) "connects" us to God... and He to us. Unfortunately, so many are trying to see... and reconcile... Christ, the MAN... and/or God through the [old] Law... that they can't see... grasp... get... the whole SPIRIT aspect of it. Of him. Of THEM.

Thank you Shelby. That was very well said... and very to the point ;)

Love and peace to you,

Tammy

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Unfortunately, so many are trying to see... and reconcile... Christ, the MAN... and/or God through the [old] Law...

Ok Shelby, and Tammy....

If "faith" in Christ or "accepting" Christ or "believing" in Christ, the MAN, as you say, is the only way to salvation, then what of the approximately 5 billion who are not Christians, and never will be?

Or let's take the 2 billion or so who DO claim to be Christian and yet are hypocrites....

Let's even say that the vast majority of BOTH groups are doing good works, very neighborly and loving, good family people, blah blah blah....

Who's getting "saved", and who's not, and on what basis?

Not to mention, what does getting "saved" mean, and what is the consequence of NOT getting "saved"?

Oh, and also not to mention, that the only reports we have of this Exclusive Savior are contradictory and for the most part not in any way shape or form credulous?

Is God going to determnine the fate of people based on whether or not they accepted what's written in a very poorly written book full of errors, since this information or prrof of his existence is nowhere else to be found?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit