Running a JW website without getting sued

by ekruks 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ekruks
    ekruks

Hi guys, I want to setup a unique ex-JW/cult site, and I am wondering how you run this site without getting sued? Last thing I want is to have the stress of a court case that the JW volunteer-lawyers likely will win. I'd like to keep a rather low profile. Do you use anonymous hosting? You are welcome to PM me

• Fernando
    Fernando

You can pay extra with domain name registrar for privacy on "who is" database. Don't know at what point registrar must disclose, so you may want to consider what contact details you pass on to registrar. Anonymous email account may be of use. Tracking of source of hosting payments?

Separate arrangements/enquiries with your HSP (Hosting Service Provider).

If you register domain name with HSP you are somewhat married to them as they have a degree of control over your domain name.

http://web-hosting-review.toptenreviews.com/ might have some useful info (on paid hosting) as a starting point.

Normally a significant price difference between Linux or Windows server hosting.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Hopefully the SOPA laws don't get passed because it could affect many anti JW sites.

• ekruks
    ekruks

Linux hosting is best.

I am wondering if a court can make a webhost disclose WHOIS details. Trying to pay the webhost anonymously would also be rather impossible.

• Fernando
    Fernando

What about paying an IT person, who pays the webhost for you?

• cantleave
    cantleave

What can you be sued for?

If stick to facts and don't allow unsubstantiated BS and conspiracy to thrive on your site you should be OK. Make sure everything is veriable and quote your sources.

Watch Tower publications can be quoted under "fair use" policies without any reprisal.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Check some scammer sites and see who does the web work :)

I believe some use sites in favorable countries. I believe the Japanese and the Dutch have better privacy laws. Not all countries belong to the Hague convention for lawsuits. Google it.

• ekruks
    ekruks

I don't need an IT company to do any work for me. I just need somewhere I can host without legal complications. Whoever hosts this site must know about these things, because it's still open.

• Violia
    Violia

Simon has written about his journey with this site in the "best of" section. I think it is currently at 5 parts. He may not mention how he has legally stayed online but for sure the Internet is more sophisticated than in the mid 90's ( not exactly the wild wild west it once was.) and you can be tracked down. if you violate the TOS , esp threating someone , using folks real names, etc, you will get at least a warning and depending on what it is, you may never be able to log on again. Simon runs the site somewhat differently now than in the beginning b/c as I said the net is ever evolving and more laws are being made each day to make posters responsible for what they say , etc.

try emailing Simon and he might be able to help. I am on several other Db's and they really are much stricter than this board.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Just follow the laws and you will probably be fine.

Anonymous domain registration does not protect you when you break the laws, if that's what you're getting at. That's why most websites have TOS like the one here, ahem, #4.

The best thing to do is to abide by the laws.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit