Running a JW website without getting sued

by ekruks 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ekruks
    ekruks

Thanks guys

I am not planning anything exactly illegal, such as copyright violation - I am more referring to not getting closed down by the Watchtower, because this site I have in mind would likely be very popular with apostates. Also, I don't fancy another judicial committee - those are stressful, and a waste of time, as well as meaning no further contact with my family!

Sorry for my ignorance, but who is Simon? what is his username?

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

I'm not sure that I'm aware that Simon was ever threatened with a law suit or any other exJW site.

...and the Dubs are much less sue happy than the Xenu lovers.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Simon is the owner of this site and it's his user name.

Anonymous domain registration will help you a little in terms of protecting your identity.

If you do anything libelous, violate copyright, violate other laws, then they can take legal action.

Generally just staying within those guidelines keeps you away from legal issues.

However, be aware people may very well guess who you are and then you could be in for religious sanctions, stalking, etc.

• ekruks
    ekruks

Wasn't a Canadian website shut down following a court case?
    watchtower.ca .... or something like that?

Would prefer to avoid all the stress of the "inquisition"!

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

I think the site that was shutdown provided access to a lot of current information that was still protected by copywrite.

• Refriedtruth
  • jgnat
    jgnat

Nothing illegal about providing a counter voice to the establishment. Even a sidelined (but wealthy) religion that considers itself to be anti-establishment.

No such thing as complete anonymity on the internet, unless you are a source for Wikileaks. And we all know who the founder of that site is.

On the plus side, the WTS generally leaves sites alone. The Canadian site was challenged for copyright infringement. The owner chose to shut down rather than involve himself in a prolonged legal battle. Simon was asked to stop posting links to copyrighted material. He complied.

Can you see the trend? The WTS is much more protective of it's printed materials - and it's potential profits - than uncomplimentary content. Some great sites to model include:

http://www.freeminds.org/

http://www.ajwrb.org/

I don't include six flags. Six flags is sensationalist, IMO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit