Recent C.O. visit: Bad news re: U.S. English meeting attendance

by Open mind 84 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

I worked out years ago when I was in, that at any one meeting 25% of the publishers were missing,in our Cong. if things have got worse, my old K.H must look pretty empty most meetings !

• moshe
    moshe

I am surprised that it has taken JWs so long to quit going to the dumbed down midweek meetings- when I look at the schedule for the minsitry school and service meeting, it's all about getting out in service and placing WT literature- which the JWs already know that the community doesn't , trust, value or want.

• watson
    watson

I think they could make the meetings more interesting by having the last half hour an open discussion, where the bros and sisters can express how they are feeling about how things are going in the congregation and the organization. Ideas, suggestions, etc. Kind of a question and answer session? Maybe the elder taking the lead could take notes so that they can be presented to the Governing Body. No fear of reprisal. If something isn't making sense in the Watchtower, we can bring it up for further open discussion.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    No fear of reprisal. If something isn't making sense in the Watchtower, we can bring it up for further open discussion.

Good Morning Watson!..

Open discusion?..No fear of reprisal?..LOL!!..

You need coffee!..

When your done have another cup..

...OUTLAW

• Open mind
    Open mind

watson, what you describe would be a new religion. Reformed Jehovah's Witnesses perhaps?

om

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

LOL, I never understood why pre-studying the meeting material was meant to make the meeting more interesting. All it means is you've read the same dull crap twice!

Also the three in one format is awful. 35-40mins of book study which is normally quite dry, followed by the student talks - often by people who cant read well, song and then 45 mins of 1) do more ministry, 2) obey direction in some insignificant matter, 3) local needs, otherwise know as DONT MISS MEETINGS.

• watson
    watson

Just trying to be constructive. Obviously you guys don't think this would fly!

(Part of the problem is the new half decaf, half caffenated brew. Need to go back to the old standby.)

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Anyway, IMO, there's a much stronger feeling of community among the foreign language JW congregations I have visited. It's a lot harder for someone to leave when that element is there.

I would have to agree with that Open Mind, there's a high volume of Asian immigrants establishing themselves in my community and it appears

its an attempt to westernize themselves by an infusion of Christianity. Most of them have little background knowledge of the WTS and its history.

The age demographic of original born in baby boomers and their parents as well as the children of boomers is growing thin.

For an example just about all of my nieces and nephews have left now as well as my brothers and sisters.

Is this a tell tale result of the WTS. trying to survive in a modernized age of information ?

In most modern advanced countries throughout Europe and North America, religion is fading down in participation of the percentage of the population.

This has to be effecting the JWS organization as well.

• watson
    watson
    LOL, I never understood why pre-studying the meeting material was meant to make the meeting more interesting. All it means is you've read the same dull crap twice!

You silly! Let me help you..when you pre-study, it gets you all pumped up, waiting for your opportunity to raise your hand and maybe answer! I get all antsy.

• steve2
    steve2

This decline in attendance among English-speaking members is a completely normal sign of the "ageing" process all organized religions go through, some sooner than later.History tells us that the Methodists - to take one example - were a very fervent group in the early 19th Century. It has happened to other groups who were "big" when the Watchtower first started as an incorporated group; Namely, the long-in-severe-decline Christadelphians, the ever-so-bland and dreary Seventh-Day Adventists and the shopping-mall-glazed-eyed-Mormons. They're catching up on all the sleep they missed when they were fiery for their respective Lords.

Whatever possessed the GB to remove the book study, it has expectedly back-fired! If the human race really is so very, very close to the end, why eliminate one of your core meetings? What about that "scripture" they used to cite about meeting all the more as the end draws close?

Facts are: The end has repeatedly refused to come, the born-ins are bored out of their brain-dead skulls and reducing meeting attendance has opened up one extra week night to crash in front of the TV and the only "positive" is the continued growth among immigrant peoples who are endlessly fascinated with "Western" religions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit