Has anyone ever worked for a Home Health Agency service Sales position? Home Health Care Account Executive?

by Voices 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I suggest skimming Richard Bolles, What Color Is Your Parachute. It is the leading job hunt book in the world. His brother was an investigative journalist who was murdered doing research in South America. He suggests researching the business to find out how credible they are. The paradigm is to start small and build up. You won't be asking for a job, only information. If you ask for ten minutes time and promise it will only be ten minutes, many people are game. He values what janitors and receptionists think of a company. He would include calls to competitors. Sometimes you may not find anything locally, he suggests calling the same business in a different region and asking companies.

You will know everything about the position and a lot more by the time you need to make a decision. I wonder if journalism courses would not offer even better examples of how to research this way. Bolles' would suggest saying you aren't quite ready, that if you take the job, you want to be the best employee ever, so can you have a bit more time. Some people write proposals to show all they know about the industry. You could plausibly ask for m ore money if you have more focus.

I recall my mom telling me when one door closes, God opens another one. When I was young, I thought it was lame but, over time, I think it is true. People are going to change jobs frequently in the future. Most likely, this is a temporary gig. If you learn skills to take to a better job, all the better.

One think they talk about with legal options is that some people are more risk adverse than others. I treasure stability but other people love adventures. There is no right answer. It is what feels right for you. But if you use the Bolles research methods, you will know some hard data to make a better informed decision.

• I quit!
    I quit!

You are doing the right thing asking around before you give up what you have. I'm wonder if you are guaranteed 50K or is it what they are telling you you could earn? Is it salary plus commission or are they paying you a draw against your commission? If it is straight commission I'd say forget it. What is their turn over rate? Another thing you can do that might give you a pretty good idea of just how good the pay is at that company is to look around their parking lot and see what kind of vehicles the employees (not the executives) drive. If possible speak with people who work there. Look around the web and see what you can find out about the company.

I also like the parachute book and have used it to get ideas on how to look for work when I have been unemployed.

Like AGuest I not expecting you to give answers here but think about these things.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Is it possible to find out why the last person(s) left, what the turnover rate has been for your position?

Perhaps you start with, "I'd like to learn more about the details of this job. Can I speak with someone who previously held this job and was promoted?" If no one has been promoted, then that might be a clue that they left "for other reasons."

Then, follow up with, "How many people have held this job in the past two years?" "Of those, how many people quit or were fired?"

The worst thing is to get into an office and figure out the leader has a known reputation for being the chief arsehole; and everyone stayed for a little bit and got the hell out. So, the boss plays the money-game lottery to entice new victims. He'll take on a few at a time, to see which one will put up with his bull. Because the boss gets results, the company keeps him.

Sometimes, the Internet is a way to discover and track down past people who worked in that office.

Skeeter

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

you got a PM Voices

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Succintly...

- Why is this position open?

- Is the 50K a gauranteed based?

- What is the earnings split? If it's 70/30, then the 50K should represent your base pay with you able to make 30% on top of that in commissions if you hit your quota, so $15K. Commission is usually calculated off of your base bay.

- Is it an all in commission structure or graduated? In other words, if you his 80% of your quota, do you get 80% of youe bonus OR is structured such that you get none of it UNLESS you hit 100% of quota?

- If you make %120 of quota, will you get %120 commission?

- Is the commission based purely on your performance or is it based on your groups performance?

- Are all of the accounts net new or will there be existing accounts for you to take over?

- Who are your customers? Homeowners? Hospice? Hospitals? Medicare?

- Is it vertical based or territory based? Meaning, are ALL accounts in a certain geography (like your state or county) yours OR will you only be going after one type of customer, say, hospice accounts, over a larger geopgraphy?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I'm impressed with the quality of this thread. Very good questions. See you researched here and you found all sorts of things to pursue. Many heads are better than one head.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Google the employer and its principals.

Did you ask questions during your interview?

• Voices
    Voices

Thank you everyone for your input. I really do appreciate it. I went ahead and decided to take the chance. However, I have to wait for the interview first.

Entirelypossible:

It is 50k plus commission. The recruiter is not aware of the quanity of sales quota nor is she aware of commission given. She just said, it's commission plus the 50k base pay. This is not some telemarketer/car salesman position but an actual professional one. It's salary based. Anyhow, the customers are not individuals (though technically they are). The people I would be speaking to are the doctors offices, facilities, and hospitals etc.. It is based on my territory...county. So i'm looking forward to this.

Really guys I just am trying to make 25k so i can start day trading and not have to worry about htis. I am 9 out of 10 times correct with the split. Anyway thank you ALL for your input. Everyone helped out and seemed to offer lots of good advice. i'm awaiting word for the interview right now.

Skeeter- im was clled by a recruiter, so i wouldn't be able to ask about the previous individual with this job because the person doesn't know. But I didn't think of the questions your asking and therefore will keep those in mind for the interview.

Rebel8: I asked as much info from the recruiter as possible but the interview will be different.

Thank you all! i'll keep you updated

Me

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Well, if they have hired a recruiter . . . they are likely paying the headhunter a finder's fee (% salary - may be 10-25% of your first year). That's a good indicator.

Now, the company will likely ask you about why you have left previous jobs - so . . . . use that as a jumping place to talk about people who left the open job. Just like you may embellish - they may embellish too. Understaand that legally, they can't give specifics or details - but have on your intuition glasses. Watch the body language.

• trueblue
    trueblue

Never worked Home Health care but what I have seen they all accusing and making accusations maybe as bad as JW's, or worse. Oh' Gawd I wouldn't want anything to do with that...

May be not that bad if you live a very large city... but still I wouldn't let one of those home wrecker's in my house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit