I worry about you all, regarding the promotion of "Steven Hassan's." book. Why?

by AvocadoJake 45 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I have read countless books, many by ex-JWs and some by Steve Hassan. But, the most helpful (and free) was the International Cultic Studies Association's online library of articles upon articles about cults, including Jehovah's Witnesses. They offer conferences and break out groups to help ex-members or family members of active cult followers. The Watchtower Society once told us to only read their books, and to not read anythng critical of them. Steve Hassan may be "simplified' but it's a good starting point for someone. Especially since he doesn't "harp" on the JWs (too much). Take someone who is just coming out and give them an ex-JW written book, and it they may just one screaming away, "Apostate"!

However, the first book I read was really good - it was "Awakening of a Jehovah's Witness" by Diane Wilson. I really liked her book. It was amazing that she and I had similar experiences.

Then, I read the 'Truth" book by Joy Castro. I really liked her book. It was amazing that she and I had similar experiences.

Why is there a common denominator? The BITE model as explained by Steve Hassan, which I didn't read until much later in my journey.

Now that I meet people who came out of other cults, we all lament on how the BITE model makes our experiences similar.

Skeeter

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I did not think there was anything original in the book. The ability to present complex info so that people can readily understand it is a good skill. It does not have to be academic or even probing. I'm thinking of Dr. Oz. What he does isn't high stakes medicine but if he gets one person to view their health in a different light, he has accomplished much.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I don't see how the site is promoting Hassan's book. I can see that some members recommend it but that's not the site recommending it surely? The way I read it, some folks are impressed and think it is useful but I don't see anything wrong with that or any other recommendations made by members. Caveat emptor and all that

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I am not worried about it.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

WOW, how did this jump from recommending a book to hoping in a miracle book? We have worked past hoping in miracle books. Many books have been recommended on this site. Also, it makes me quite uncomfortable that you so avidly promote ideas "uncovered" by a known cult (scientology) while "worrying" about us for reading a book that has helped quite a few of us. I just can't figure out where you are coming from.

NC

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

The way I see this, Hassan is helping JWs heal, can't have that, they wont come back if they actually heal. I have seen many active witnesses nitpic at him. As was stated, he isn't god, he isn't the end all be all of this subject, but he has made it simple to understand. It's a good starting place for many of us. Plus the added bonus of he has been where we are.

• clarity
    clarity

Thanks AJ, I know that you are only trying to caution and help where you can.

I did not read Steve Hassan's book about cults until 6 months ago. It seemed as though it has been recommended as a must read.

So I bought it... read it...and must say was not particularly impressed. Helpful, yes ...but a bit disappointing.

my 2cents

clarity

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well apparently we should not put much faith in this book that helps "the friends" break away from a mind control cult, but the "brothers and sisters" should look into some things that Scientology teaches.

Perhaps my cult panic button is sensitive, but I find this strange and recommend Steve Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control to get a grip on that.

NC

• flipper
    flipper

AJ- You don't need to worry about us, we're doing quite fine. Thanks for your " concern " - however Steve Hassan's books have assisted many here and elsewhere to break free of cult mind control and lose the unecessary guilt and fear that cults like Jehovah's Witnesses put into us. The only thing I'm skeptical about is the reasons you are so skeptical of Hassan's ideas.

I've read a lot of Psychology books myself which tend to coincide with Steve Hassan's views and methods. There are lots of books dealing with the subjects of control and manipulation and what sinister methods they are in controlling people - whether in groups OR individuals. Everett Shostrom's " man the Manipulator " was a good one as well as Frederick Perl's books on Gestalt Therapy. In both of those books it discusses actualizing personalities as being much more functional than manipulative personalities. And essentially THAT is what we deal with in mind control cults. Cult leaders trying to abuse their power by use of manipulation and intimidation. You are right- nothing new under the sun, however writers like Steve Hassan put forth successful and helpful ideas which have helped many people free their minds from religious cults fear and guilt . And yes, he does have a degree as well - he's no slouch

• i_drank_the_wine
    i_drank_the_wine

It is like that flick where people die after they have seen the movie, except that after you read the Steve Hassan cult book you are subconsciously hyponotized into the Cult of Hassan forever without knowing it. Everyone here recommending are people that have already been infected.

It's a legit conspiracy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit