I worry about you all, regarding the promotion of "Steven Hassan's." book. Why?

by AvocadoJake 45 Replies latest jw friends

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

Dear brothers and sisters,

I worry about you jumping on Steven Hassan's ideas which are not new, in fact, after reading a good chunk of his book today, nothing he has written is fresh and new to the psychology world. So far, I have been cautious about revealing who or what schooling and background I have. There is good reason for this, some is personal protection (business.) others is, I am not ready to make the leap of faith, you have made. As a child I grew up in Orange County Calfornia, lived next to a well written psychologist phD who taught at UCLA in the 1970s and 1980s, he pioneered some outright crazy ideas about "rebirthing yourself." He gave me my first book on psycho-therapy by "Beck." in 79, from there on, I did my best to devour anything in this field, this was a new area for the movement. The books were not plentiful and the field of behaviour psychology was about to turn a new chapter, it became popular. Ideas like "Regression, Repressed memories would change our cultural and familiy ideas and blaming our family for our problems soon followed. The Quaks started to breed like viruses, lawsuits were filed against incompetent, destructive practitioners, who were looking for things that did not exist. You would visit a shrink, and he was trying to read or infer things about your childhood, you might have experienced (even if you still denied it, had a good childhood, he would badger you.) "There had to be a reason, a reason for anything, mental illnesses were created out of thin air. (Why a frown, why sad? Why happy there must be a dx for your trouble, even the a one day episode of the Monday Blues, had an explanation burried in deep psycho-babble) The DSM started out with had forty agreed upon psychological disorders, and now it has close to one thousand (DSM-IV DSM-V.)! Back some of my story I read "The Eden Express." by Mark Vonnegut, that explored schizoprenia, as I child I could not put down. Why, my older sister was plagued by this disease, and as a child, I felt helpless and devoured as many books on this subject, as I could. The more I studied, through school, college, about the competing schools of psychotherapy and the efficacy of them, it was apparent, it was just a school of thought. For example a joke about Economist is (What happen's when you put 100 ecomomist in a room, you get 100 different opinions.) To put things in perspective, you will find each doctor has his own style and opinions, that suit their own prejuiced pre-conceived ideas. . Some shrinks will go rogue, instead of following a common leader like (Ellis, Beck, Afred, Jung, ect......key point, there are too many schools of thought, each has his own method (Unlike a Internist, Family practice doctor who follow the best practices, common pratices to deal with a disease.) so regarding Hassan, remember he is just a man who has put his own ideas, into a book. Nothing more or nothing less, his book, in my humble opinion is not really new thought, it puts things in a different way of communication, but nothing is new under the sun. Please don't get your hopes up to high (Docotors I know woud laugh, how each shrink, needed his own shrink to keep him from crossing the thin line, of being a patient.), and be skeptical, that is the only point I hope you take away from this post.

Your brother A.J peace to all men and women!

• designs
    designs

Thanks, and my past three lives thank you as well

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

So Hassan takes a bunch of information, gathers it into a coherent structure, explains it so that we can understand it in a particular context, and this is bad why?

I'm not sure what you are saying. Because his ideas are not new they are not valid? Or because there are so many ideas out there, his work is not helpful?

How about the results? Do results matter? If his work has led people to think for themselves and free themselves on mind control cults---is there a down side?

What exactly are you worrying about? It's just one tool among many. Take what you need, leave the rest.

NC

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Please recommend one specific book that can assist people with deconstructing their experience with a high-control group.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Well I'm just trying to figure out what the worry is about. What EXACTLY has you worried? Is this book doing some kind of harm? Is it damaging people? Nobody is worshipping the guy, some have just found his books very helpful. Have you seen something to give you pause? Is there something specific you are warning us about, or do you just want to summarize that humans are not always correct? I see you tear down all the mistakes in psychiatry over the years and then talk about Hassan's book. Is he taking part in some practice that you know is harmful?

NC

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

What Steve Hassan has written has resonated and helped alot of us. So, that, is the reason we tend to like it.

Perhaps you could make millions if you wrote your own book? Top Steve, why don't you? We're an open group.

• AvocadoJake
    AvocadoJake

There is no one book that can do the job, you are asking for "Leaving WT." If it was only that easy. LT have you read "When Prophecy Fails?" be Festinger, how does his view of Cognitive Dissoance (A new thought for the 1950s.) differ from Hassan?

NewChapter, the point is not not attack Hassan, it is to help the friends, not hope in a miracle book. This is not the only site that promotes Hassan's book as a huge anwser to the experience of how a cult opperates. What do you think of Festiger's and Schater's theory of cult followers NewChapter?

One more thing, have you asked yourself why Scientologist are on a mad tirade against the DSM, Shrinks, and Drug companies? Do some reasearch on why, it might surprise you, to find out they are strange, but have some valid arguments against the community. Scientologist have a organization in the UK, to war with the acedemia of the mind. They are a cult, but have uncovered great arguments about those who follow the "cult of the mind."... Be back later tongiht.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Are you against therapy or psychiatry? I just don't understand the point you are making.

• unshackled
    unshackled

AJ you are making an assumption that ex-JWs are "hoping in a miracle book". Many here have simply found it helpful to understand how cult mind control works, which assists them to deconstruct their own programming. Doesn't matter if the info in the book is ground-breaking material or not, it is still worthy of recommendation.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Please recommend one specific book that would be a good FIRST book to read, if one is trying to deconstruct his or her experience as a member of a high-control group.

Hassan is not a doctor. Further, his goal is very simple: Empower people to think for themselves.

I certainly wouldn't want anyone to think that reading any book is a replacement for therapy or further research.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit