I worry about you all, regarding the promotion of "Steven Hassan's." book. Why?

by AvocadoJake 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

the hype Steven Hassan has come across something new

Who said that?

I've never seen anyone hint at anything like that.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The Foreward of 'Combatting Cult Mind Control' (updated, paperback edition, copyright 1988, 1990) was written by Margaret T. Singer. Please note these three paragraphs from her Foreward, below (scan).

• undercover
    undercover

I thought this was gonna be a thread asking LWT if gets royalties for every time he recommends the book...

Just kidding, LWT.

The book may not be for everyone, but it has helped enough people that they feel comfortable recommending it newbies. The great thing about it is that it doesn't mention JWs. Someone who is just awakening from the WT indoctrination will still have a fear of "apostate" and "anti-JW" literature. When you read a book like "Combatting" that doesn't target JWs yet describes what it's like to be in their control it is eye-opening and can help someone realize exactly how it happened and how to help themselves and others.

• nugget
    nugget

For those who say there i nothing new in the book remember it was published in 1988 so it would be incredibly difficult to have anything new in it. Other psychologists may well have built on the work and Steve Hassan himself has continued to develop ideas and understanding since the book was published. however as a start in understanding the mindset of cults and high control groups it is a good first point. I read it as a sceptical JW looking for proof that JWs were not a cult and came away with doubts about the religion. The fact that JWs were not mentioned made the book non threatening and approachable. Many of the techniques suggested are useful in helping to connect with others.

I personally found it very enlightening and interesting. It is not a one stop shop or matrix style pill but is a valuable reference work used alongside other materials. Perhaps it is your expectation of the book that needs rethinking.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

No harm AvocadoJake

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

"For the first time.......... "

That sounds new AJ.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit