Whats your personal perception of Religion ?

by thetrueone 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

Thanks for the welcomes, I have been lurking a while and finally got the stones to create an account. (Not df'd, have a lot to lose right now if I am)

I guess what I meant was that belief in a higher power is essential for many, it gives them guidance and hope in their lives, and if geniune, can be helpful. But along with the love that most religions, Christian or otherwise, promote, comes a lot of hate. It may be disguised, and even taught as "love the sinner, hate the sin," but in the end, if you are not practicing what that particular religion promotes, there will be consequences.

Throughout history, people have been put to death because of religion, and by the religious leaders. JW's and other religions practice excommunication on various levels, and we know how harmful that can be.

• cofty
    cofty

ex360 - there are a lot of active JWs here who have to keep what they know secret for the moment. Only you can judge your own situation and do whats best for you. Glad you decided to post.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Society has always practised social exclusion - useful when dealing with murderers, the insane or the infectious - religion is just a particular form of society and it also will exclude anything that threatens it. Even religions or individuals who don't explicitly have an excommunication policy practise a kind of exclusion by avoiding people or ideas that threaten theirs. Formalising it just makes it crueler.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Oh yeah - ex - welcome and hope you get to tread the dangerous line well!

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Just an addition to my previous post. North Korea is officially an atheist state. The USA has religious freedom. I personally prefer living in the USA with the freedom of religion.

Thanks giving is enjoyed by many. I don't know who the Atheists are giving thanks too. May be they don't celebrate it.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

North Korea has a leadership cult. It worships his magic abilities.

• cofty
    cofty

North Korea is officially an atheist state. The USA has religious freedom. I personally prefer living in the USA with the freedom of religion - Ucantnome

That is a false dichotomy. Nobody is suggesting religion should be banned. Personally I hope it one day becomes nothing but a private hobby like knitting.

If you want to compare a religious country with a largely atheistic country try USA v any of the Scandanavian states. USA loses on every possible measure.

• ex360shipper
    ex360shipper

Thanks, I've actually been inactive for about two years, only put in a couple a month for a long time before that. Still do DC's and memorial, thats about it. I will try to do a real introduction here real soon, currently about 1/4 of the way through reading CoC. I would have been scared to have such "apostate" literature in my home, but finally a friend actually brought it to my house and knowing my history and the way I analyze everything told me "you NEED to read this." So far its been an interesting read to say the least. I am also on the exjw forum on reddit.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Crofty,

Which Scandanavian Country do you live in?

• cofty
    cofty

Its Cofty not Crofty.

I don't I live in the UK.

Stats on wealth, standards of living, health, life expectancy crime etc etc are easily obtained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit