I need a new phone......which one is better- I-phone or Droid?

by drewcoul 25 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

Band on the Run, The last Driod I had was an HTC. I can't tell you how many times I dropped it. Several times without a cover. The back flew off and the battery fell out. I put it back together and it worked fine.

Fresh price of Ohio said:

I do miss the stock turn-by-turn navigation of Android, but the maps application on the iPhone is generally good enough for my purposes.

Good point. I used the my navigation to meet Dagney for lunch yesterday it took me right to the Restaurant in the LA area. It is a crowded area and it would have been more difficult to find without it. It verbally informs you step by step how far to go and when to turn.

• Dagney
    Dagney

(waves to I quit! What a wonderful surprise to meet up after all these years on JWN via Randy.)

I have an iPhone, about a year now. Used to have a Blackberry. My family is Iphone vs Droid. I resented the control with Apple at first...iTunes, etc. But I have had nothing great things to say about Apple and all the gadgets. Once you get used to the phone, it is sooo user friendly. I think the phones are very sturdy. However I did drop my iphone face down on cement and it shattered the glass to bits. BUT, Apple replaced it, and I was shocked.

I think you will be very happy with either. It was a difficult decision for my and I anguished for months before making the decision. But I am content with Apple, and love the the AppleTV...can use my remote to place my music through my TV sound system. It just rocks. Literally.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

My company builds mobile apps so I have multiple smartphones.

Either will work, but one thing to consider is upgrading. Apple has done a great job of maintaining backwards support for their old devices. Since they control the hardware, the new iPhones really aren't too much different than the previous ones. That means that accessories are more likely to be supported in the future as well as they leave room on the device for the OS to grow

Android is more progressive, they have a lot of cool new features that allow you to really customize your device. The 'widgets' allow apps to put a custom control on the main screen that allows you instant access to information that you are looking for. You can pull the device out, check the main screen and put it back without opening an app. With android being open source, the operating system will be updated more. The down side is there are so many phone manufacturers out there. Not all Android phones are going to be good, make sure you do your research.

Personally, I bought a BlackBerry Torch yesterday. It's a workhorse of the phones. I use it exclusively for business and in my opinion it does it the best. I don't use many apps, and there aren't even close to as many available. But Email and integration with buisness tools it performs above the other two platforms. That said, I think over the next 3 years, Apple and Android will patch the difference in security and BlackBerry will lose alot of ground. They are also notorious for not being able to be upgraded.

• andys
    andys

I really like the Android, also what you want to do is figure out what phone best suits your needs, the reason why i really like the Android, all the ham radio operators on here probably know about this, I really like using the Android for Echo Link and also recently I got an app and now am on APRS on my Android.

• isojourn
    isojourn

I've had both. Although the Android system is a good system and is heading down a good/innovative path, I found it still has a lot of bugs. I prefer the iphone overall because of the quality... it is faster, has better apps and is less glitchy.

• moshe
    moshe

My iPhone 4s has a battery life of 2 days for me- I paid for a 5 phone family plan at AT&T, so my two grown children can keep in touch with is using facetime. Our 7 year old grandaughter is able to call us on facetime all by herself- where before it was hard for me to understand her in a phone call- with facetime, I can understand her perfectly.

I asked my 12 year old daughter does she like her new iPhone4 or her old Motorola Triumph android phone better?- iphone! battery life, apps, facetime, works smoother. Iphone has an integrated Imessage that I like - I can messsage my son immediately with it. I love my siri- I see an interesting TV program coming up next week- I just tell my iphone4s- to remind me to watch this show- and it just sets my reminder up - easy-peasy. Making brownies for my daughter- I tell siri to set a 45 minute timer- it's done. If their is an app worth making, you can be sure it will be availabe on the iphone/ipad

I am pretty sure that 3 years from now my iphone will still be working ( maybe needing a new battery) and Apple will have regularly updated the OS for me. Android phone makers have no money in the till to pay engineers to update last years Android phones, when the profit comes from the newest models to be released. Apple has figured out how to pay for ongoing FREE software updates and this is a very valuable future asset.

Having a phone and tablet that have the same OS and most of the same apps, is very nice- no need to learn all the ins and outs of two different types of software.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit