What do Jehovah's Witnesses get baptized into?

by howdidtihappen 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• howdidtihappen
    howdidtihappen

Ok, so every other religion in the world's baptism is invalid according to JW's, and theirs is the only true baptism. That's the story I get. I have a few questions about that:

Are they baptized in the name of the father, son and holy spirit since they don't believe in the trinity?
    What are they baptized into?
    Is JW baptism actually the invalid kind?

• cantleave
    cantleave

They are baptised into "God's Spirit Directed Organisation".

• paladin
    paladin

I was babtized in 1970 and it had nothing to do with the governing body or an organization. This word Organization came along after 1970, but I don't know exactly when.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Are they baptized in the name of the father, son and holy spirit since they don't believe in the trinity?

No. There are two questions asked during their Baptism ritual (see this thread):

On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Then a total-immersion dunking in the water, dry off, and change back to your Assembly clothes.

• garyneal
    garyneal

This is what is asked at the assemblies and conventions to the baptismal candidates:

The first question is:
    On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:
    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization?

Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism." Watchtower 1985 Jun 1 p.30

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/baptism.php

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

You were reading my mind!!!!! I was going to post a thread questioning why is it that baptisms done in the name of the FAther, Son, and Holy Spirit are invalid prior to getting baptized recognizing the WT as God's spirit directed organization? In harmony with that question, since those baptisms are invalid, does that make the marriage vows done prior to becoming a JW invalid as well?

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

In harmony with that question, since those baptisms are invalid, does that make the marriage vows done prior to becoming a JW invalid as well?

Hmmm... Automatic annullment if your spouse converts to the Watchtower... I think that's a good idea, Miz!

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

water

• N.drew
    N.drew

To me my baptism meant that I was being made alive in spirit to do God's will. When I said "yes" to the second question I understood it meant that I would now be responsible for the brother's and sister's welfare, along with my own, like we were now family. But in actuality what Jehovah's Witnesses baptism means is now the person is under the headship of the Society. Where it goes, you go.

Logistically they call themselves Jehovah. Just read their literature and you will find hundreds of places they say "Jehovah" but they mean "the organization".

• Ding
    Ding

It's all about the organization.

Everything in the WT religion is about the organization.

Loyalty to the organization = loyalty to Jehovah in Watchtowerspeak.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit