What do Jehovah's Witnesses get baptized into?

by howdidtihappen 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

No. There are two questions asked during their Baptism ritual (see
    this thread
    ):

I remember that thread. I also remember Angel Eyes (check her posting on that thread).

What a nutcase she was (along with some other poster who's name escapes me at this time).

Now I remember, PJSChipper...

• lilbluekitty
    lilbluekitty

This is why now that I've accepted Christ I'm getting re-baptized.

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

The important thing is that they DON'T get baptized in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit as commanded by Christ at Matthew 28:19.

The significants of this cannot be overstated. http://144000.110mb.com/trinity/index-8.html#44

• designs
    designs

paladin-

Like you I was baptized before the change, 1966 for me, the change in questions was strange.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

OMG. My mom was baptized a JW in the 1930s with the trinitarian formulation. When I became Episcopal, she was very interested and would attend church with me. It was very nice for someone who dragged me against my will to the KH. She asked an Anglican priest if she would need to be rebaptized? He asked what was said and it was the exact formula for Anglicans. I don't mean that their was a trinitarian belief but those words were used.

So now you are expressly a demon slave to the Society. It is a bit fairer. You had advance notice. I love how they assume that they are spirit-directed rather than seeing spirit directed as a lofty goal with traints to examine.

I was active in the 1950s and 1960s. Left at sixteen. Fed up at thirteen. Always loathed it. When I read this forum, I see how much more intrusive they have become. It was hard to bear back then. If anyone announced in an Anglican church, that they were spirit directed, a psychiatric consultation might result. The almight, esp. almigthy Jehovah, should be approached with awe and trembling. He is certainly transcedent in the Jewish tradition. I believe Bob Dylan wrote a song, "With God on our Side<" in the 1960s about how all these warring countries in Europe could not lose b/c God was on their side. The Inquisition had God on its side. Sir Thomas More, the great saint, personally tortured people he just did not like. He was the arbiter of Christianity. Not a priest or cardinal. He was dead certain God was on his side. God does do wars well.

• wobble
    wobble

If your baptism was invalid because it was performed by another denomination, is it invalid for that reason, or because of the words used ?

Why do converts need to get baptised again if the words of their original are totally scriptural ? (I think Fred Franz was one that never got baptised by JW's?)

If the only baptism that is valid is the one they have now, then mine, 1962, was invalid.

Who decides what is a valid Baptism, Jehovah or the WT?

If the latter, who gave them the right, the simple baptisms of the 1st Century were acceptable to Jehovah without an organization being mentioned or even involved since there wasn't one.

As with all WT doctrine and practise, the whole thing is a mucking fuddle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit