DO YOU BELIEVE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES "SHUNNING" OF MINORS IS CHILD ABUSE?

by Balaamsass 46 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jonathan dough
    jonathan dough

Verging on the macabre in this 21st Century, the Jehovah's Witnesses draconian practice of disfellowshipping and shunning current and former members is one of the most controversial aspects of this religion and has caused untold psychological and physical harm to thousands. The Watchtower Society mislabels the practice of shunning and disfellowshipping, as an act of love and a means of enforcing conformity.

Scriptural justification for shunning is weak, at best. It is considered by many on the outside as one of the most offensive and unbiblical tools in the Watchtower Society's arsenal of weapons used to enforce rigid conformity to their multitude of rules and regulations. Grounds for disfellowshipping, a radical form of excommunication, are legion. The list includes adultery, fornication, greed, accepting blood transfusions (with modifications), drunkenness, associating with the disfellowshipped ... the list is very extensive and subject to wide interpretation. Many of those shunned or disfellowshipped are guilty of apostasy - abandoning the religion and turning away from the teachings of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. Similar to the Mob, once you're in there's no easy way out without suffering severe consequences.

A significant amount of judging and attendance at judicial committees is involved. The act of shunning and disfellowshipping as implemented by the Jehovah's Witnesses has caused untold pain and suffering among friends and family members. Families are routinely destroyed and broken up, forever; siblings are separated, often for life, parents lose their children, children lose their parents. Grandparents are ostracized and cut off from their grandchildren for the sake of keeping members 'in.'

Most often the simple act of saying hello to a disfellowshipped person, or one who has disassociated him or herself from the organization, is forbidden. The horror stories told by the disfellowshipped, thousands of them, are ghastly and heartrending. The ancient practice of disfellowshipping and shunning causes profound psychological damage, and has led to suicide. As practiced by the Jehovah's Witnesses, their extreme form of shunning in most cases is simply cruel, nothing more.

Anyone considering joining the Jehovah's Witnesses is advised to pay close attention to the consequences and repercussions for not living up to the Watchtower Society's standards, or questioning their doctrine. The ultimate price might be unbearable and irreversible. To assist you in making the right decision and help you learn more about this practice, visit the websites listed below for additional information.

http://www.144000.110mb.com/directory/shunning_disfellowshipped_shunning_disfellowshipping.html

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I can't believe how plucky I was. Once I had to promise to leave forever and never see my family again, I decided to show him. I was an avid reader of Seventeen magazine. All these atrocious boarding schools have ads in the back. I counted my pennies and sent away for brochures. When he arrived home from work, I presented him with the brochures. The schools may be bad but the prices are dear. The photos showed people not being abused but it looked so utterly lonesome. Adults have resources. Children don't. I was very embarassed and ashamed. Seventeen magazine told me to get in touch with an agency and gave me the number. They were the first adults to state that my father's conduct was very wrong.KH never even broached it. I kept dialing the number and hanging up. I feared Jehovah would strike me dead on the spot. Seventeen mag was so cool to me but Jehovah terrified me. I tried about ten times and ended up crunching up the letter and hiding it. My mom found it, read it, and then we received help.

It is clearly abuse. How many children know to tell adult authorities, though? In the Sandusky case at Penn State, only about ten victims were first known to officials. The average pedophile has around 170 victims.

• looloo
    looloo

i work with vunerable adults and on a course we were taught that there are many types of abuse , sexual , physical , financial and emotional and neglect and ignoring people are all abuse ! so the same would stand for children .

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'm getting sick and tired of reading people say, "they don't shun them if they're under 18." Pardon my Irish but BULL SHIT.

The parents MAY allow them to remain in the home until they are 18, but EVERYONE ELSE THEY WERE EVER CLOSE TO SHUNS THEM AS PER BORG POLICY!

And I'm a bit surprised at your comments, Sir82. Disfellowshipping for ANY REASON is HATEFUL and abusive. It doesn't matter if the kid is 12, 15, 17, or even 37. It is a HATEFUL and ABUSIVE practice.

• Balaamsass
  • Quarterback
    Quarterback

These are good points. I believe that the existing laws do show that it is wrong, neglectful, abusive to treat a minor child with shunning. But, shunning is wrong on Adults too. Shunning promotes hatred, intolerance, and prejudice.

• Quandry
    Quandry

What? Not shunned until 18? I beg to differ.

My daughter was 16 when she was told she was filth in God's eyes for very little-just normal teen stuff, and then disfellowshipped. Her 15 year old friend was disfellowshipped after being berated and humiliated by five "shepherds" who wrote her "sins" on large papers and affixed them to the wall during her JC (her parents told my husband and I) so that she could sit and view them while they were verbally abusing her. I hope she is still alive, as there was concern that she might do harm to herself. I don't know how she is now because we had enough and quit going back for more.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Well I just checked the index of Confidential letters to Elders 1988-2011 and the 2010 Flock book. There has been NO Change in WTBTs procedure. Any baptised CHILD can be Disfellowshiped. EXCEPT in case of POSSIBLE LEGAL ACTION...in that case ALL Judicial ACTION is to STOP IMMEDIATLY and the Branch office is to be contacted. SO...friends, parents, Kids, do you get the hint?

Cost to call the childs School, Child Protective Services, District Attorney and 911? FREE

Cost to call Legal Aid, and American Civil Liberties Union? FREE

Demand letter from your family legal plan (about $20 mo.) Almost Free.

Class Action Suit against WTBTS$$ for violating the Civil rights of a protected group...KA CHING!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

If anyone of the thousands of members on this site hear of a new OR older Disfellowshipping of a minor, PLEASE post it here and /or call the authorities. ASAP.

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

Interesting Outside Viewpoint of how Danes look at JWs Shunning of Minors. Awardwinning Docu-drama of a JW family and a children affected by Disfellowshipping.

8 part You Tube movie. Very well done. https://www.youtube.com/embed/EIDwXYACfmM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit