DO YOU BELIEVE JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES "SHUNNING" OF MINORS IS CHILD ABUSE?

by Balaamsass 46 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

But don' t they usually get away with it because they don't actually shun them until they hit 18 and they kick them out the door?

• JAFO
    JAFO
    Shunning a minor would be neglect

It is much more than neglect.. it's emotional abuse.. which can be worse than physical abuse.

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

encouraging your child to get baptized while still in the single digits or under 18 for that matter should be child abuse. my parents told me that if i didnt take a stand by the time i was 18 i would have to find another place to live. i got baptized at 16.

• trueblue
    trueblue

It is much more than neglect.. it's emotional abuse.. which can be worse than physical abuse.

You are not just a toot'n I told a phsyc councelor only the tip of the iceburg because I still have difficulty talking about my familly and I with out having an emotional break down. The doc said that is the worse case sinario ever heard of and do not understand how I have survived this long. I have PTSD they use to think only war vets get it and it from shell shock but I can verify ya shunning by JW's is much worse then physical abuse

• nugget
    nugget

It is abuse denying love and association and witholding love and affection is extremely traumatic. These same parents don't question a childs decision to get baptised when very young and do not explain to them thet they will treat them in this appaulling way if they fall short of the mark later in life.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

((((((((((((True Blue))))))))))) Hugs What you have experienced is worse than what most soldiers do partly because you were only a child without coping skils (soldiers are much older and are thoroughly trained) Also, your abusers were in positions of trust. Soldiers never trust the enemy. There is no love involved, their hearts are'nt broken by betrayal. Please know that you have friends here who care. Wishing you the best.

• trueblue
    trueblue

I was wondering the idea that even if a child is not being shunned his or her self it would or could be a traumatic impact on his or her if say a parent or other sibling is being shunned so shunning is not a good thing all around because it hurts other people and not the one being shunned, other people are being punished that did not do anything to deserve it.

• trueblue
    trueblue

Yes 3rdgen, and a soldier usually volanteered but a child never has a chance to ask for it...

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

This is a Worlwide board, but I thought some excerpts I googled on current California CRIMINAL law would be interesting. I think if enough people simply start informing on the JWs to the Schools, Child Protective Services and 911 the barbaric practice will have a light shone on it.

PENAL CODE (California)SECTION 11164-11174.3

11164. (a) This article shall be known and may be cited as the

Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act.

(b)…..all persons participating in the investigation of the

case shall consider the needs of the child victim and shall do

whatever is necessary to prevent psychological harm to the child

victim. 11165. As used in this article "child" means a person under the age

of 18 years.

11165.3.   As used in this article, "the willful harming or injuring
    of a child or the endangering of the person or health of a child,"
    means a situation in which any person willfully causes or permits any
    child to suffer, or inflicts thereon, unjustifiable physical pain or
    mental suffering, or..willfully causes or permits the person or health of the child to be..placed in a situation in which his or her person or health is
    endangered.11165.7.   (a) As used in this article, "mandated reporter" is
    defined as any of the following:11165.9.   Reports of suspected child abuse or neglect shall be made..by mandated reporters,11166.05,… shall accept a report of suspected child abuse or neglect whether offered by a mandated reporter or another person. When an agency takes a report about a case of suspected
    child abuse or neglect in which that agency lacks jurisdiction, the
    agency shall immediately refer the case by telephone, fax, or
    electronic transmission to an agency with proper jurisdiction.
    c) Any mandated reporter who fails to report an incident of known
    or reasonably suspected child abuse or neglect as required by this
    section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months
    confinement in a county jail or by a fine of one thousand dollars
    ($1,000) or by both that imprisonment and fine
    (2) Nothing in this subdivision shall be construed to modify or
    limit a clergy member's duty to report known or suspected child abuse
    or neglect
      (   (C) The local law enforcement agency shall have jurisdiction to
    Investigate…even if the report is made after the victim has reached the age of majority.
  • skeeter1
    skeeter1

Is it abuse or neglect?

Skeeter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit