Those of us who left the WT for less than noble reasons

by Aussie Oz 37 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

i wish was one of you guys who found out they were a crock of shit while still active and got out for noble reasons.

I am not so sure your reasons are 100% not noble and others' were 100% noble.

The jw religion is bizarre in its attempt to mold human beings into depressed drones who do not experience basic pleasure.

Using your mind to examine your beliefs is exciting and enjoyable. So is relaxing, celebrating, achieving success, having a normal sex life, exposing oneself to different belief systems, going to college, having a career, etc.

Seeking a mentally healthy lifestyle is not the opposite of noble.

If there was a loving creator, wouldn't s/he want us to enjoy the gift of life?

• Expanded-Mind
  • Expanded-Mind
    Expanded-Mind

Hi, Aussie Oz!

I sent you a PM...

Best,

ExpandedMind

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Maybe the question is one of principle rather than nobility. Some leave on principle, others drift away, some get kicked out (like me). When I was kicked out I still thought it was 'the truth'. It took quite a while for me to accept I wasn't about to be destroyed by bolts of lightning. In time, the biggest help to me was the Internet and places like this. So much information became so easily accessible. Although becoming a JW destroyed my career, I consider myself fortunate that I'd already had a good education and I got booted at an age where I could develop in a new direction.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

"To thine own self be true" sounds pretty noble to me.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I did think that a noble reason to leave was the discovery of falsehood, an indignation against the system and getting out with as many our loved ones as possible, as opposed to wanting to free of mere moral constraints.

OZ

I hope through all my pain and journey, in spite of hurt i have caused others, that my children will not be 4th generation suckers.

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

I left because I was going insane from the sexual repression and loneliness. I had to choose between who I was (OMG PRON!) or who I thought I should be... and finally decided to be who I was. I don't think it gets much less noble than that. :-P Of course, I'm thankful that I did... I don't think I had the brain cells to get out of the religion otherwise.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Its interesting, because the two things i am using to help my daughter never become a Jw is

1. Be true to your authentic self and

2. the WT, JWs lie, and cannot be gods religion.

The worst thing about my case i think was by the time i had my breakdown (and going thru all the stuff i should have at 18) is was married with 2 kids. The fallout is so much greater and i hope to spare my kids that journey.

The posters on this thread are very right...what can be more noble than being true to ones self knowing the pain that will follow, and still doing it.

oz

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "I left the JWs because i just couldn't fight my flesh anymore. The battle inside was going to kill me literally. ...."

Ah, I've always considered the struggle for survival to be the most ancient and most noble motivation...

It is what drove our ancestors to continue striving until they overcame major obstacles...

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL. The Witnesses are virtually a friggin' cult- it's not High Church! You can't discuss doctrine- you just obey the rules. It doesn't matter whether you bust down the walls, jump headfirst out the window; or crawl on your knees out the door- there are no other options; if you are born-in, it's all you know- there is no way to escape in an orderly fashion. I think most Witnesses leave due to personal reasons, but some question the doctrine in an attempt to find another reason to leave. If you had done things differently, you wouldn't be the person you are, so it makes no sense to wonder how things could have been. Ultimately I think the goal is to be an ex-exJW, so terms like 'apostate' will have no meaning, and the reason why you left won't even matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit