Those of us who left the WT for less than noble reasons

by Aussie Oz 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Sometimes i feel like a second class apostate...not that anyone has ever said anything to make me feel that way, i just do, you know what i mean?

I left the JWs because i just couldn't fight my flesh anymore. The battle inside was going to kill me literally. I just wanted to explore the things i never did as a teenager, i married far too young and when i realized this i destroyed a lot of peoples notion of me, none more so than my then wife. In all my confusion as to my identity, what i wanted, believed, was doing etc in my 'mid life crises' i left her and the religion to sort myself out.

In two years apart i struggled to find a reason to go back to her or the JWs. I didn't indulge in sex all over the place or do drugs. I got drunk and very sick once, enough that i won't do that again. I danced a lot, chased women but never slept with them. I had a dance partner desperate to get in my pants for 6 months.

What i found was inner peace though. I taught myself how to paint with oils, and was free to paint what i liked, not dictated by christian morals or whatever. I fancied strip clubs and found i could go with a free conscience. I never changed as a caring 'decent' guy though. I just got a little lost for a while.

When i found my authentic self, it was a me that was totaly unacceptable to my estranged wife, who frankly, told me i was in the gutter of humanity. She would have me back as the old me and as a JW.

I couldn't do that, either of them, so i committed adultery with that dance partner to free the wife. I felt she had a right to find somebody better than me, one who would live with her forever thinking she was the best thing in the world and love her as i did not. And so it was that with a week i had divorce papers served on me and was disfellowshipped to boot.

Now, through it all, i never stopped believing that the JWs were the one and only true religion. 100% they were right and i was a shit that was gunna die. I almost went bush never to be seen again. Until a little more than a year ago i was still firmly convinced that they were the one true religion. My now wife could not say anything negative about JWs even though she knew i was never going back to them. I would defend the WT to anybody.

Then i find JWN... You know how it makes me feel sometimes? Like i wish was one of you guys who found out they were a crock of shit while still active and got out for noble reasons. You left for the real reason! It is a sham and you found out! And some of you even got your whole family out too!

You guys are my hero's.

So now i do my best to get my kids safe from this pile of shit religion, one i think i will and one i think i will lose. I am full of indignation for this lot for so many things, among them that i never got to be a normal teenager and young man. That i was totaly dumb and questioned nothing.

I came to 'apostacy' (am i one really? Do i 'qualify' even? I was out for a dozen years and it's not like apostacy stopped me going back...i was never going back anyway) as a result of trying to get more time with my children. There are times i wished i left my religion and my wife for noble reasons, not because i was having a breakdown.

I needed to share this...been on my mind a while now.

Oz

• artemis.design
    artemis.design

I did not have a noble reason. I just found the meetings too boring. I was only 17 though and never really "in".

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I didn't have 'noble reasons'.

I just didn't like the control they wanted over me and decided to have my life now and let Jehovah kill me when he was finished in the privy.

Chris

• Butterflyleia85
    Butterflyleia85

I know... I know... I totally agree with you. You make me feel at peace when I read your story as well. Like you JWN has given me peace of mind... I'm not alone.

I love how you describe it as finding the authentic self. :)

I'd say I never even kissed a guy never really did anything and longed to find that perfect JW guy for me... So many single women... so many just marrying the JW guy in their hall. I didn't want to run after guys... I wanted it to be love and have the right feeling, not because oh yeah his spiritually mature enough. It was totally different from what we were taught. And I was afraid I would be single like all those other women in the hall!! We had so many!!!

Anyways, when I was 21... I had my first kiss with a disfellowshipped guy... long story short... I was feeling held down trapped. The lil freedom I was given I exploded. I all to well relate to what you said here... even though it wasn't mid life crises it was a sure crazy wild stage (I could actually pass your story on to my mother... she is seriously going through this right now lol)

In all my confusion as to my identity, what i wanted, believed, was doing etc in my 'mid life crises' i left her and the religion to sort myself out.

I never meet anyone in my entire life with such freedom and carelessness, I was mesmerized... The disfellowshipped guy had something about him I wanted. Joy for being me!

I battled with being ok with that... until I found JWN. Now I feel truely balanced... I have a family of my own now, a wonderful husband and a beautiful boy. I get to enjoy painting, hanging out with family, get involved in small sports teams and community service... it all fun and it's me!

• sizemik
    sizemik

I don't think the difference is that much. Nobility is a subjective term, and I don't look upon my exit for it's nobility. OK the penny dropped, but then you've got to live with the fact you've been mediocre in the brain dept. The whole thing ends up with shit up the walls. Getting out was rough . . . I never saw any nobility in it.

You got out of a cage . . . I got out of a cage. Seeing it more clearly now is just a timing thing. The thirst for freedom driving it is much the same.

• irondork
    irondork

I kinda know what you're talking about. I left thinking the WTS was the truth but had just gotten lost like the ancient nation. I figured Jehovah would correct them at some point and bring them back in line. I left because I couldn't stomach the anti-gay treatment stuff.

Then I wandered in to JWN and realized the scope of the problem. Now, when conversations come up about why I am no longer in the organisation, I don't think I have once started off by telling about the anti-gay problem, if in fact I even bring it up. There is too much more compelling information to share with anyone who will listen; things that will have a greater impact on them to convince them to stay away from that organization.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

It's all good

my start was way non-noble but the best thing i ever did!

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Aussie, it sounds like leaving was good for you. You learned about yourself and became better for it. The end result, at least, was noble.

Personally, I think the Society puts the idea in our heads that getting out because you're dissatisfied is bad. Is it really? Sounds like the WTS wasn't enough, or wasn't right, for you. End of story there. The only way I can see leaving as wrong is if you assume the WTS has "the truth." I stopped making that assumption like 15 years. So how was leaving wrong for either of us?

• Terry
    Terry

Watchtower living sucks happiness out of the entire lifespan of a person and their family.

Let's shorten that sentence to: Watchtower living sucks.

Jehovah's Witnesses practice something wrongly labeled: True Religion--but, which is factually a distortion of a healthy life.

Why? Life is PRACTICAL and any lifestyle (yes, Religion is a Lifestyle!) that is anti-human needs is poisonous.

A drowning man whose head his held under water wil thrash about, struggle, fight with any means necessary to reach oxygen.

That's what happens to young people in the Kingdom Hall. Their whole life is held underwater and they are admonished to hold their breath without protest.....indefinitely.

Ozzie, you and many others over the last 97 years have exposed themselves to harsh disapproval in the FIGHT TO SURVIVE in a suffocating enviornment.

Does any drowning man make gentle choices?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Your reasons for leaving were as noble as ours. Everyone inside the JW organization has a second identity (why do you think 60% of your congregation pops pills for schizophrenia or related psychological issues), it's not fair to our partners and to ourselves to continue living like that. To give a long-term relationship up, finding yourself and not continue living a double life in itself is noble.

In the end you may have 'saved' one of your children and possibly both. My mother left almost 10 years before me and I cut off contact with her but eventually came to the understanding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit