Ridiculous elder ideas and rules

by Juan Viejo2 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Alfred
    Alfred

In the early 80's a fanatic elder in my congo (who would later become a CO) had my father (an MS at the time) make several signs that read "Gum chewing not allowed" and "Talking not allowed" (in Spanish)... each sign also had a Bible text about "obedience" (can't remember which one right now)... Anyway, my father made some really nice-looking signs that I remember being very proud of at the time... This elder then had my father hang these signs in strategic locations throughout the KH on a Saturday after field circus...

The following Sunday, this elder (who was also the Watchtower Study conductor) stops the study after the first few paragraphs and says: "When sister (Gum-chewer) removes the gum from her mouth, we will move on to the next paragraph." As you can imagine, the KH went completely silent... I remember everyone becoming completely still with their eyes glued to their magazine for what seemed to be an eternity. Then he asked the reader to read the next paragraph and the study continued as is this elder's public humiliation of this sister never happened. But just before the last 2 paragraphs or so, he stops the WT study yet again and says: "When sister (Chatty) is done talkng to sister (Nosey), we'll continue to the next paragraph." Again, the entire congo cringed...

I'm not sure what happened afterwards as I dared no look in that direction. But this was the subject of many a conversation for many weeks afterwards and the two sisters who were publicly humiliated never returned to the KH (at least not ours)...

(I could tell you other stories about this elder but I'd be seriously derailing this thread...)

That being said, I seriously doubt that this has been seen anywhere else in any other congo... this is probably as extreme as it can possibly get with a fanatic elder...

• 00DAD
    00DAD

wha happened? - you have a PM, two actually.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

00DAD u have pm's as well

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

One thing for sure. The PO at WP was very jealous of anyone that made a decent living. There was a family in that cong who did rather well for themselves. That PO would constantly rip them apart, make derogatory comments about their children. It was just jealousy as he wanted that lifestyle. So the PO and his wife invested into every multi level marketing get rich scam u could think of.

So basically whatever he couldn't have, no publisher was allowed to have it. He blasted me once in front of others because "I just had to have a house". My only commnet was, "who's house are we in now?" It was his house we were in. So much for owning an evil house.

Most of the nightmare elder comments or family comments over the years that I posted, have to do to some degree with my ex's family.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

wha happened? - you sure jogged my memory and got me thinking .... I sent you a couple more private Qs

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

A sister may NEVER correct a brother. And I mean NEVER.

In fact, this is not an elder rule per se. It was clearly stated in one of the WTS publications (I think it was in one of the monthly 4 pages leaflets used at the meeting after the ministry school - I forgot their name, somewhere in 2009) that sisters were not allowed at all to correct a brother who used a wrong word, or who made a grammar or spelling error while reading or commenting a paragraph. A male who was not the school overseer or who was not an elder or MS could correct the error in a respectful manner, if there would be something to be gained from that (if there is an important, relevant error). The same was to be applied in case of erroneus use of information.

It's just a small step from expanding this rule to every aspect of JW life.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ok this I gotta see.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

Years ago I was in a chat room and some JW thought I was a JW. I corrected him about something and he sent me this IM:

JW: are you mae or female
    JW: male?

ME: lol, why??
    ME: I'm female!

JW: if your a female never correct a brother, especially in public,And 2 john 9 -11 is talking about those who leave the truth apostates not the anytichrist

ME: oh, my, may I please post that in the room?>??
    ME: you are wrong about that verse, by the way, please give me a moment. *(OK, I know that was not nice to correct him again, but I couldn't stop myself, ok?? Not after the 'never correct a brother' comment!)*

JW: thats up to you, But if I were an active JW I wouldnt do anything in chat i wouldnt do at the hall

• pof
    pof

Oh and if u were in a different congregation, you're not safe. The elders would call the brothers from other cong all the time about the many infractions on the part of their publishers. I had one elder call about me about something he heard that I said to another perosn who said it to another person who stated it to an elder. NO fact checking, just go punish me

Oh you know you said..own up!! LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit