Ridiculous elder ideas and rules

by Juan Viejo2 58 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

In an earlier thread, I went off topic for a moment to share excerpts from an email I received from an active sister living in the midwest USA. She mentioned that the elders in her congregations were extremely conservative and criticized the flock for using certain colors of highlighters in their magazines. She also reported that they were all over the sisters for wearing stylish boots or tennis shoes during the winter months.

I know that some elder groups can be very liberal, supportive and loving toward their flocks - while others are exactly opposite to the point that they become overbearing and oppressive.

What have you experienced as far as ridiculous, over-the-top rules and ideas enforced by local elders?

Has anyone ever approached a CO or DO to report abusive rules or treatment by elders? If so, what was their response?

JV

• blondie
    blondie

I had elders overrule the CO on denim skirts for sisters.

Double-pierced ears on sisters--the CO tried to make it verboten--an elder called the "service desk" and had it overturned, letting each BOE make its own ruling. 3 elder's wives had double-pierced ears....

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

being a JW is ridiculous in itself

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Does refusing to allow any colored shirts on the platform count as ridiculous?

Or, no boots -- cowboy boots, men's "dress" boots (when that was popular years ago).

Telling a sister her hair was TOO LONG -- yep, A SISTER. (Immodest)

But nothingas crazy as highlighter color............what if you're color blind and it all looks the same? How would ya know?

DOC

• james_woods
    james_woods

I too would be fascinated to know which highlighter colors are theocratic and which are worldly - or even possibly pagan.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I was disfellowshipped for highlighting in blue. The PO insisted that only YELLOW highlighters were theocratic. I said he was YELLOW. His face turned RED. They immediately called me into the back room and gave me my PINK slip. Those of the conscious class were all GREEN with envy.

Do you think I BLUE it by not being YELLOW too?

ORANGE you glad I didn't say banana?

PS - Just for the record, my favorite color is CLEAR; something the WT never, ever is!

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Question from readers....

Is it appropriate to use any other high lite than Yellow on your WTS Literature?

Many colors are taken from Pagan Gods as stated in Luke 12.........................................................................................

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Seriously though, one of my favorite Elder Rules comes from the Woodley Park, California congregation. In the mid-80s they shared the kingom hall with us (Tarzana). They had a rule that a young brother could not be considered a spiritual man if he didn't have a 4-door car for service!

Now the irony was that in my congregation at the time (Tarzana) almost all of the elders and MS were pool men and drove pick-up trucks!

I guess they didn't notice when they saw all the pickups in the parking lot!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Woodley Park was also (one of) the congregations that required all Elders to wear a white shirt when giving public talks.

• Bella15
    Bella15

"Certain color highlighters" WOW !!!

"The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath." If they could only apply this principle to all aspects of their lives ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit