The rise and rise of Paul Gillies?

by JWB 48 Replies latest jw friends

• frogonmytoe
    frogonmytoe

OK, just watched the video. Actually taking the bible into the BBC studio?? Talk about not helping the viewers change their minds about dubs being overzealous bible-bashers.

• besty
    besty

if someone could transcribe this interview it would be easier to dissect.

"Well I don't actually know anything about the case itself."

Do you believe the Press Officer and spokesman for Jehovahs Witnesses would go on live national news without being fully briefed on the reason for being there?

I can't really discuss the case because we got no information and the hospital hasn't released any information either.

See above, and now shifts focus to the hospital for not releasing information. Define 'releasing'. Sounds a bit like the chocolate cake defense.

"All I can explain to you to try and help your viewers to understand why it is Jehovah's Witnesses refuse blood"

Bait and switch completed. (and BTW Jehovah's Witnesses do not refuse blood - they accept more than they refuse.)

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

FWIW, he did conduct himself well in a situation where most people would be sweating bullets. The image of the dead woman is on a screen while he's talking. That either takes a lot of practice, a lot of sincerity, or a sociopathic personality. Possibly two out of three. But he's definitely GB material.

I'm surprised that he didn't mention that 'Yes, these kids lost their mother, but God resurrects his faithful servants so they'll actually have her for an eternity now'. He only briefly mentioned the resurrection hope in a way that didn't really convey this point. Perhaps he knows from experience that to bring up the resurrection hope might seem glib or in poor taste, or else he doesn't want to imply that she'll be resurrected when we know that 'probably we may be concealed from God's anger'. Or perhaps he simply believes that giving up one's life is what we're supposed to do even in the absence of a reward from God, so the resurrection is just so much undeserved kindness and isn't relevant to the motivations of a Witness.

• cofty
    cofty

He's a knob.

I know, not one of my more insightful offerings.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I was just thinking the same thing when I saw him give a talk the other day.

The ironic thing is that he is perhaps getting on a bit to be appointed to the GB now, even if he did start partaking. They seem to be appointing younger and younger men to the GB. He should have started partaking a couple of decades ago and he might have been in with a chance.

• scotinsw
    scotinsw

Wow! Have known who his brother is for years but never seen him before! yep! Dour Scotsman pretty much sums him up!

i do recall his brother Gordonnnsayingbthat he got annoyed with folk thinking henwasmlike his brother Paul.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I recall seeing another interview with Louise Minchin on Breakfast News. It was striking because she is always extremely friendly to her guests. But in this instance, when Paul Gillies was trying to justify allowing a young mother to die, she simply could not hide her disgust. She was not adopting a hard interviewing style or anything like that. It was just pure revulsion on her face at having to talk with this complete toad of a man, and you could tell she was utterly relieved when it was over.

It was an eye opener for me how outsiders really view JW's stance on blood. As a Witness you kid yourself on that even if people don't agree with the stance on blood they respect that it's a principled position. No they don't. They think it's stupid and repugnant, and rightly so.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I thought he came across particularly obnoxious in the interview and we know he was clearly lying through his teeth, its a shame that the majority of the media have so little idea how to question a jw bigwig when the spotlight is on them, if only it could have been any of us! a slimly snake of a man, a rat. Has he made the Branch Coordinator role yet?
  • Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    I saw Paul Gillies give a talk in Glasgow once and can honestly say he was incredibly wooden and bland in his delivery. He comes over as very matter of fact as opposed to expressing himself from the heart.
  • jambon1
    jambon1

Just for the record, I always found his brother Gordon to be a proper company man too.

An arsehole, for want of a better expression

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit