How long can one continue as an unbelieving JW?

by mankkeli 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• 00DAD
    00DAD

For me it was somewhere between 5-7 years from when I started having serious doubts to when I finally left.

During that time my life got increasingly difficult trying to pretend to be a good little witness as I became more and more convinced of what a massive fraud that the WT was/is.

Even still, for the first 2 years after I left I was plagued by personal doubts and anxieties. It took a long time to really get strong again. In fact, it's still on-going.

Daniel

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

mankkeli, four years has been the limit for me.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I will appreciate it if any scientific study had been done on this and what has the result showed?.

For this you want results of a scientific study?

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

OODAD - hmmm, thanks for relating your personal experience, hanging on for 7 years is a lot of time, it must definitely have been very stressful. BTW, what is your current status?, are you fading or Dfd.

Mickey mouse - wow!, 4 years is a lot, and what is your current status?, are you fading or Dfd?.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Faded...so far!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

I was DFd 2 1/2 years ago.

What is your current status?

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

How long depends on a lot of variables. Some like me can't do it for even 2hrs. Others like my ex-husband lived a double life for over 25 years till he wanted to be caught. He was

appointed a MS then an elder by holy spirit? who at the same time , had scores of mistresses and a full-blown meth habit. He was a pathological liar who became a mid-level dealer.

He stayed alive and escaped arrest by becomming a confidential informant. He ended up messing with the 12yr old daughter of a high ranking member of an Infamous

Biker club. Not long after he was caught, he died mysteriousy ? in his 50's.

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

I'm still in and still serving as an elder, but I am finding it more and more depressing

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

I'm not contemplating an exit, but it is becoming more and more difficult. 70% of the publishers in my current congregation are more than 65 years, so I have a whole lot of responsibilities on my shoulder. But am still thinking.....

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

As soon as I realized something was awry with the religion of my birth, I immediately withdrew from giving talks (I was a MS), moved to another congregation, stopped going door-to-door, and immersed myself into researching what I thought I believed. From there it didn't take long before I stopped going to meetings altogether, maybe a couple years.

I personally don't see it as even remotely possible that someone can become aware of what the WT really is and continue believing. As soon as you are unplugged from the Matrix, you're compass turns to true north and the only lingering thought is how you could believe that bs for so long.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit