Should Joe Paterno resign over the Penn State child sex abuse scandal?

by james_woods 85 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• simon17
    simon17

In light of what is going on at PSU, is the above statement legally wrong?

I don't think so. The rules are different for federally funded institutions like schools and universities and for religious institutions which have major boundaries from the state.

• simon17
    simon17

Just got home from the meeting, and I love all of you at JWN, but I have to say something. I know there's plenty of focus on the pedophilia end of things, and rightfully so. Sadfully so as welll, but there's something bigger here, and that's power. Do you realize that a DA, as in District Attorney possibly was murdered so that Penn State could cover up this scandal? That's worst case scenario, and best case scenario is that the DA committed suicide because he realized the gravity of the case that he was getting ready to explore for potential prosecution. Guys and Gals, we're talking about a legendary assistant coach hiding in the shadow of a legendary head coarch, acting as the proprieter of a pedophila prostitution ring masquerading as a social program for underprivileged youths, with customers masquerading as donators to a social program which was masquarading as a social program all the while hiding an underaged prostitution ring. A District Attorney possibly put 2 and 2 together, but either committed suicide upon realizing the gravity of the case he was getting ready to expose, or was murdered by powerful pedophiles who'd be willing to kill in order to protect their reputations. This case, has only begun.

I'd say 2 things: A lot of this stuff is speculative at this point so we should just calm down and not get too ahead of ourselves.

2nd: The body was never found, so that would be one fascinating suicide!

But it will be intersting. HOpefully the story doesn't just dead end before anything can come out.

• flipper
    flipper

I got bashed by a S.F. radio station trying to bring up the Paterno child abuse case and comparing it to religions who cover over child abuse in America. The Call screener would NOT let me talk about it on the air. I was dumbfounded. It goes to show that people in mainstream media are Neanderthals and dinosaurs in their attitudes and would really just like to bury these child abuse crimes under the carpet. To get it out in the open is what the entire country needs ! But people in power don't like to be exposed. A symptom of what's wrong with this country. To see my thread heres the link of my call to the radio station : http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/218114/1/Called-Sports-Talk-Radio-about-Joe-Paterno-Child-Abuse-Scandal-BUT

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    As to who is legally required to report differs from state to state in the US.

A brief summary of Pennsylvania reporting laws, per US Department of Health and Human Services:

• Mandatory reporters include school administrators, teachers, peace officers and law enforcement officials [the H.S.S. article does not say whether this statute's use of "school" and "teachers" includes college-level]. Reporting is mandatory when they have "reasonable cause to suspect". Attorney-Client and Clergy-Penitent privilege is recognized according to other statutes. (Cons. Stat. Tit. 23, § 6311)
    • Any person with "reason to suspect" may make a report (Cons. Stat. Tit. 23, § 6312).
    • Mandated reporters must do so in writing, including their name and contact information (Cons. Stat. Tit. 23, § 6313).
    • Anyone making a report in good faith is immune from criminal and civil liability for doing so. (Pa. Cons. Stat. Ann. Ch. 23, § 6318)
    • Mandatory reporters who willfully fail to do so commit a misdemeanor (Cons. Stat. Ch. 23, § 6319).
    • Identity of mandatory reporters must be kept confidential "unless the secretary finds that the release will not be detrimental to the safety of the reporter" (Cons. Stat. Tit. 23, § 6340).
    In the Shepherd the Flock of God book...page 131 p.19... regarding sexual child abuse..."Whether to report the matter to the authorities or not is a personal decision for each individual to make."
    In light of what is going on at PSU, is the above statement legally wrong?

I am not trained and licensed to give legal advice, so I can't say if the statement is "legally wrong". But I can say that my "personal decision" is to act based on legal advice from a qualified attorney, not the "Flock" book.

• No Room For George
      No Room For George

I was thinking about this more on the way to work. I've had a couple friends who went to PSU, and a cousin who went there. My cousin isn't what you call roudy, but he's got a little bit of Napolean Complex in him as he's not the biggest guy, but not the type you underestimate either. Plus he knows how to have fun. Considering all of that, it didn't surprise me when he was telling me about a couple fights he got into up there, and spending time in the holding tank at whatever equivalent to a county jail they have in those parts. He also told me the cops up there are not to be trifled with. He made it seem like they were a combination of Alonzo Harris and Hank Quinlan, yet very townsy and networky, almost like a hillbilly organized crime.

Considering that, if this assistant coach was running a pedophilia prostitution ring, with customers being wealthy alumni types, it wouldnt' be far fetched that they had that DA murked. That DA was known to be aggressive, and an equal oppurtunity prosecutor known to be tough on crime. Why he didn't pursue this case in 2005 will never really be known. His nephew stated that the evidence wasn't solid enough to build a case, but these revelations coming out in the past few days prove otherwise. The fact that the Feds are involved with this, as opposed to the locals tells you that there's something much bigger in scope that they're investigating. I'm thinking its possible that this pedophile prostitution ring went beyond Pennsylvania, making it a federal case at that point. On top of that, that assistant coach won coach of the year during the time frame and then abruptly retired. However, not ONE, NO, NOT ANY, other college teams expressed any interest in the guy despite him retiring at a relatively young age. I'm thinking, they had to have known. Wealthy and powerful types are well aware of one another, and if it was known in Pennsylvania circles what this guy was involved with, I'm sure the word spread to others running in similar circles out of that state, or even the Tri-State area.

Regardless though, this story is crazy, and this is just the beginning, we haven't even brushed off, let alone scratch the surface.

• james_woods
      james_woods

OK - precautionary words (even though I am getting more and more disgusted by this as the rumors fly):

1) - we don't know that the ex-DA was murdered or committed suicide.

2) - even if either of the above happened, we don't know that it was connected to the pedophile case.

3) - to my knowledge, the accusation of pimping out kids to other alumni for money is just rumor - no proof or formal charges made.

4) - I don't see any reason to make this serious matter just look ludicrous by trying to connect the Illuminati up to it.

I seldom agree with Geraldo Rivera - but I think he is right about two things: Those students demonstrating for Paterno are idiots, and the university should have cancelled the rest of the football season to let this scandal begin to die down.

• simon17
      simon17

Agreee with James_woods entirely... dont' go too crazy. Its already crazy enough without the unconfirmed rumors.

I will disagree with your #1 ("we don't know that the ex-DA was murdered or committed suicide.")

Certainly he did one or the other. Its highly unlikely we just parked his car, took his laptop out and tripped into the river with it.

• james_woods
      james_woods
      I will disagree with your #1 ("we don't know that the ex-DA was murdered or committed suicide.")
      Certainly he did one or the other. Its highly unlikely we just parked his car, took his laptop out and tripped into the river with it.

What I meant was that I heard a legal analyst (I believe Jeanine Pirro on Fox) say that the police believe it possible that he plotted to start a new identity for unrelated personal reasons.

But nobody knows the true facts.

• No Room For George
      No Room For George
      1) - we don't know that the ex-DA was murdered or committed suicide.

You're right, it is just speculation, but you have to admit.......it is a heluva coincidence. I mean the guy's car was found along with his laptop but no hard drive. His body has never been found, and this was right after he had considered building a case. It's a very strange coincidence.

3) - to my knowledge, the accusation of pimping out kids to other alumni for money is just rumor - no proof or formal charges made.

Yesterday during lunch I was in Friday's getting some Ribs (ohhh how I wish I copped a full slab instead of a half!) but on the news it stated that there's speculation that those boys were being groomed for abuse. I thought at first what I read (subtitles as I had my earbuds in), was misconstrued in my mind because the camp was to groom young boys for success. However it came across the screen again, and that's why I say there's a reason the Feds are involved. There's something big they're looking for on this one. I hope it doesn't turn out that way, but it ain't looking to promising.

4) - I don't see any reason to make this serious matter just look ludicrous by trying to connect the Illuminati up to it.

When I say Illuminati, I don't mean it in the typical definition, but rather the local upstate Pennsylvania Illuminati. We're talking about wealthy townsy folks, college football, demented perverts with money who'd be willing to do anything to maintain their way of life which includes fetishes for young boys. Granted its all speculation as you've rightfully pointed out, but my instincts are telling me this speculation is gonna turn into facts.

• undercover
      undercover

the police believe it possible that he plotted to start a new identity for unrelated personal reasons.

Yea... that's the third possibility. Until he's found, or evidence produced that proves a conspiracy, there's no point in involving him in the Sandusky/Penn State scandal.

If...IF...I repeat: IF, he was offed for uncovering some mass scandal at the school or with Sandusky, the storyline is crazier than some B-grade Hollywood movie plot.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit