Should Joe Paterno resign over the Penn State child sex abuse scandal?

by james_woods 85 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• simon17
    simon17

Apprently he was waslked in on two different times. The grand jury reports that one person saw the boy being sodomized, another oral sex. The Janitor who saw things is now in a nursing home and has dimentia so nothign can be done to him now either way.

The WR coach also saw things and has some major culpability as does Paterno for not taking immediate and decisive action instead of passing the buck and washing your hands. They should all be gone.

• simon17
    simon17

Paterno is old and senile. You can't expect him to be thinking clearly.

He's not too senile to be taking over $1 M a year to coach. He's not too senile to give out a very lucid and strategic press release in an obvious power play to end things on his own terms instead of being released immediately. Don't fool yourself.

• undercover
    undercover

Just because someone is in their 70s or 80s doesn't make them senile.

This turn of events in itself is enough to disgrace him and to tarnish his legend forever. No need to heap ad hominem attacks on him to boot.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/11/09/142171189/son-says-penn-state-coach-paterno-will-retire-at-end-of-season

"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

"I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

"My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.

-----------------------Shouldn't he be doing all he can to help the victims...

• james_woods
    james_woods

-----------------------Shouldn't he be doing all he can to help the victims...

Exactly. This "retirement" is just an easy way to avoid getting fired, IMHO.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

He is taking the easy road by retiring. He should have cared more for the victims as Blondie mentioned.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

PSU, Pedophile State University.

It will take decades to live this coverup down.

Wish the Borg scandals got this kind of publicity.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    Wish the Borg scandals got this kind of publicity.

Same here - but as somebody posted above, selling Watchtowers aint Football.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Well, this morning's news is that Paterno has been unceremoniously fired, along with the University President -

So he will not be able to save some little face by finishing out the season and retiring voluntarily.

Looks like the University Directors are getting really scared about the implications of this coverup...

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

I am glad Paterno did have the option to retire with dignity (Even though I have held him in very high esteem for most of my life)

It looks like more scandels may be coming. Rumor has it that Sandusky pimped out the boys to wealthy Penn State donors.

I hope this scandal puts some fear in the Borg!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit