Should Joe Paterno resign over the Penn State child sex abuse scandal?

by james_woods 85 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• james_woods
    james_woods

First, I don't know if we have had a thread on this yet - so if this is a repost, ignore appropriately.

But I am thoroughly disgusted by this developing scandal - an assistant coach at Pen State is accused of multiple, repeated, child sexual offenses. A member of the football staff exewitnesses and incident reported it to Paterno (years ago, it is reported) - and Paterno reported it to the athletic director. Nothing was done, nothing was reported to the authorities.

Finally, the scandal broke over the weekend.

I am deeply dissapointed with Paterno - this guy was one of my football heros. He was the so-called "man of integrity and character" in college ball - reportedly always teaching his players that it was more important to be a good man than it was to win.

My problem is how this well-liked coach could just wash his hands of the case by reporting it upstares, and then say nothing more while the offender is still on staff when nothing is done about it. Reporting it once, and then saying nothing is not getting the job done, IMHO.

Not very different from the elders in a Kingdom Hall sweeping a child molesting case under the rug by reporting to Bethel and never reporting the crime to the police.

I think he should do the right thing by his own standards - and resign over this dusgusting mess.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I believe he should. His reputation will never be the same again. A large part of the reason he's been able to hang on to his position so long is because he is so revered. There were also people associated with the university who believed it was time for a change even before this story broke. His walking away could be the best thing for everyone.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George
    There were also people associated with the university who believed it was time for a change even before this story broke.

This.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Any person who fails to make sure law enforcement is notified of reported sexual molestation of a child has very poor ethical standards and should be treated accordingly. Based purely on Paterno's own statements, the man should be ashamed of himself and resign accordingly.

Marvin Shilmer

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Everyone who witnessed actual molestation, the Grad Asst, Janitor should be prosecuted for not reporting it. Joe should resign and thank his lucky stars his old ass doesn't get charged. This isn't 1950 and you don't just slip things under the rug especially when you see it out right.

Joe had my respect too. The number Sandusky has hurt could be in the hundreds if 8 are talking now and he was there for so long. The fact that no one took a shovel to the guy in the shower is sad. It shows how normal people can get into doing some bad things when their priorities are screwed up.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Good old boys club indeed.

Biggest sports dissapointment to me since Pete Rose.

• undercover
    undercover

If...IF...the allegations are true as reported, then I think Paterno and anyone else involved should either step down or be removed. It might be time for a complete rehaul of the program. Proably will be since the AD is involved.

I am, however, trying to maintain a 'wait and see' attitude. The story just broke and the details change over the course of the first couple of weeks. Granted, it could worse, and it it does, then heads must roll.

But - for the program, the damage has been done. Looking at it strictly from a recruiting standpoint, they're going to have to clean house. Everyone even loosely involved has to go. And expect the NCAA to make some changes across the board that affects all schools.

• james_woods
    james_woods

The Joe Paterno noon press conference has just been cancelled - and the attorney (I am not sure if he is for Penn State or Paterno) says it will NOT be rescheduled.

I think the old formerly respected coach is being strapped to roller skates and pointed towards the door.

• undercover
  • james_woods
    james_woods

Yup.

Just wish things worked this fast in the Watchtower World when this kind of thing is discovered.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit