Effects of the Evolution Theory

by mankkeli 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mankkeli
    mankkeli

Effects of the Evolution Theory

IN THE early 19th century, religion and science enjoyed a fairly amicable relationship. Just two years before The Origin of Species was published, biologist and Harvard professor Louis Agassiz wrote that the living world shows “premeditation, wisdom, greatness” and that a major purpose of natural history was to analyze “the thoughts of the Creator of the Universe.”

Agassiz’ viewpoint was not uncommon. Many people viewed science and religion as compatible. Discoveries of science were often perceived as evidence of a Grand Creator. But a subtle rift was developing between religion and science.

Skepticism Takes Root

Charles Lyell’s Principles of Geology, the first volume of which appeared in 1830, cast doubt on the Bible’s creation account. Lyell claimed that the creation could not possibly have occurred in six literal days. Physicist Fred Hoyle wrote: “Lyell’s books were largely responsible for convincing the world at large that the Bible could be wrong, at any rate in some respects, a hitherto unthinkable thought.”

A foundation was thus laid for skepticism. In the minds of many, science and the Bible could no longer be harmonized. Faced with a choice, many opted for science. “Lyell’s work had thrown the early chapters of the Old Testament into doubt,” Fred Hoyle wrote, “and Darwin’s book was there to replace it.”

The Origin of Species came at an opportune time for those who did not want to accept the Bible as the Word of God. A romance had already blossomed between man and science. An infatuated public was wooed by the promises and accomplishments of science. Like a gallant suitor, science showered man with innovative gifts—the telescope, the microscope, and the steam engine and later, electricity, the telephone, and the automobile. Technology had already fostered an industrial revolution that was providing the common man with unprecedented material advantages.

In contrast, religion was perceived as a roadblock to progress. Some felt that it held people in a stupor, unable to keep up with the rapid advances of science. Atheists began to proclaim their views loudly and boldly. Indeed, as Richard Dawkins wrote, “Darwin made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist.” Science was becoming mankind’s new hope for salvation.

At first, religious leaders opposed the theory of evolution. But as the decades passed, the clergy in general yielded to popular opinion, accepting a blend of evolution and creation. A 1938 New York Times headline announced: “Church of England Report Upholds Evolutionary Idea of the Creation.” The report, by a commission under the Archbishop of York, stated: “No objection to a theory of evolution can be drawn from the two creation narratives in Genesis I and II, since it is generally agreed among educated Christians that these are mythological in origin and that their value for us is symbolic rather than historical.” The archbishop’s commission concluded: “You can think what you like and still be Christian.”

For many, such attempts to reconcile the Bible with evolution only diluted the Bible’s credibility. It resulted in widespread skepticism of the Bible, and this still exists today, even among some religious leaders. Typical are the comments of an Episcopal bishop in Canada who asserted that the Bible was written in a prescientific age and therefore reflected prejudice and ignorance. He said that the Bible contained “historic errors” and “blatant exaggerations” regarding Jesus’ birth and resurrection.

Thus, many, including members of the clergy, have been quick to discredit the Bible. But where has such skepticism led? What alternative hope has been offered? With weakened faith in the Bible, some have looked to philosophy and politics.

Effects on Philosophy and Politics

The Origin of Species offered a fresh outlook on human behavior. Why does one nation succeed in conquering another nation? Why does one race prevail over another race? The Origin of Species, with its emphasis on natural selection and survival of the fittest, gave explanations that stirred the leading philosophers of the 19th century.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) and Karl Marx (1818-1883) were philosophers who had a profound effect on politics. Both were fascinated by evolution. “Darwin’s book is important,” said Marx, “and serves me as a natural scientific basis for the class struggle in history.” Historian Will Durant called Nietzsche a “child of Darwin.” The book Philosophy—An Outline-History summarized one of Nietzsche’s beliefs: “The strong, brave, domineering, proud, fit best the society that is to be.”

Darwin believed—and wrote in a letter to a friend—that in the future “an endless number of the lower races will have been eliminated by the higher civilized races throughout the world.” He used as a precedent the European conquest of others and chalked this up to “the struggle for existence.”

The powerful were quick to latch on to such statements. H. G. Wells wrote in The Outline of History: “Prevalent peoples at the close of the nineteenth century believed that they prevailed by virtue of the Struggle for Existence, in which the strong and cunning get the better of the weak and confiding. And they believed further that they had to be strong, energetic, ruthless, ‘practical,’ egotistical.”

Thus, “survival of the fittest” took on philosophical, social, and political overtones, often to an absurd extent. “To some war became ‘a biological necessity,’” said the book Milestones of History. And this book noted that during the next century, “Darwinian ideas formed an integral part of Hitler’s doctrine of racial superiority.”

Of course, neither Darwin, Marx, nor Nietzsche lived to see how their ideas would be applied—or misapplied. Indeed, they expected that the struggle for existence would improve man’s lot in life. Darwin wrote in The Origin of Species that “all corporeal and mental endowments will tend to progress towards perfection.” Twentieth-century priest and biologist Pierre Teilhard de Chardin agreed with this, theorizing that eventually there would occur an ‘evolution of the minds of the entire human race; everyone would harmoniously work toward one goal.’

Degradation, Not Improvement

Do you see such improvement occurring? The book Clinging to a Myth commented on De Chardin’s optimism: “De Chardin must have been quite oblivious of the history of human bloodshed and of racist systems such as apartheid in South Africa. He sounds like a man who is not living in this world.” Rather than progress toward unity, humanity in this century has experienced racial and national division on an unprecedented scale.

The hope held out in The Origin of Species, that man would progress toward perfection, or at least improvement, is very much unfulfilled. And that hope keeps receding with time, for since the general acceptance of evolution, the human family all too often has descended into barbarism. Consider: More than 100 million people have been killed in the wars of this century, some 50 million in World War II alone. Also consider the recent ethnic slaughter in such places as Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia.

Is this to say that there were no wars and brutalities in past centuries? No, there certainly were. But the acceptance of the theory of evolution, this brutal struggle-for-existence mind-set, this survival-of-the-fittest idea, has not served to improve man’s lot. So while evolution cannot be blamed for all of man’s ills, it has helped push the human family into ever greater hatred, crime, violence, immorality, and degradation. Since it is widely accepted that humans descended from beasts, it is not surprising that more and more people act like beasts.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Alice - stop spouting already debunked tripe.

Back to you old ways of cut n paste bullshit I see.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

Evolution in the context of "vs. creationism" is a completely stupid idea. Evolutionists don't want to deal with "abiogenesis" so they are not worth the time.

Now there are lots of things that are compatible with the fundamentals of evolution. I can see in the birth of a child that begins with a single cell then develops into a fetus that "evolution" is possible. A caterpillar metamorphosizes into a butterfly! That covers every detail of "evolution" you ever need. But does that mean that all the beauty and diversity in nature we see today had a common origin with no explanation of how it began without a creator?

Of coursre not. You can look at a chipmunk and tell there must be a God! There is too much art and harmony in creation for evolution to ever explain. When evolutionists explain abiogenesis, that is, create life in the lab, then we'll listen to their "alternative theory" to how we got here. In the meantime, the Bible's explanation of how life on this planet got here is completely in harmony with what we see and includes an explanation of abiogenesis.

Anybody can look at two silimar things, like an ape and a gorilla and develop a reasonable theory that maybe one developed from the other. That works. But is that really what happened. Another obvious explanation is that they were created similar by the same creator. So even if evolution theory seems to make perfect sense every now and then, that doesn't mean creationism doesn't work. Proving evolution will never disprove creationism.

LS

• sizemik
    sizemik

You can read the article for yourself here . . .

http://unasked.com/question/view/id/26812

• TheClarinetist
    TheClarinetist

Mankelli - That has nothing to do with anything. Like finding your wife sleeping with another man, the cat is out of the bag, and now we have to deal with it.

Larsinger - "Evolutionists" don't generally bother with abiogenesis because scientists (who I am in this paragraph separating from the lay "Evolutionists") are still trying to figure that one out. There are many hypotheses, but so far none has been proven to the satisfaction of the majority of the scientific community. Evolution, however, has extensive genetic, fossil, and even experimental evidence. It is as much a part of the study of biology as the laws of motion are a part of the study of physics. Just because science doesn't know the answer to a particular question (even though they seem well on their way to figuring it out) doesn't mean that God did it... ESPECIALLY when theory that you are putting forth (which I assume is biblical creationism) disputes well-established facts.

And in the end, LS, whatever the evidence, scientists, or I say doesn't matter. You will continue to believe what you believe because it makes you feel good. So who cares? LoL

• designs
    designs

There are just a few wee little problems with Genesis- Humans existed before Adam and Eve, Egyptian civilization existed at the time of the supposed Global flood.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Lars - what stupid statement!

Just because we do not yet understand something, does not mean we are not interested in it. At least we keep asking the questions and building models to hopefuly come up with reasonable hypothesis, that we can then test.

I would say that is so much better than putting it it down to a supernatural cause and then switching the brain off!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Now there are lots of things that are compatible with the fundamentals of evolution. I can see in the birth of a child that begins with a single cell then develops into a fetus that "evolution" is possible. A caterpillar metamorphosizes into a butterfly! That covers every detail of "evolution" you ever need. But does that mean that all the beauty and diversity in nature we see today had a common origin with no explanation of how it began without a creator?

A developing fetus and metamorphisis are not examples of evolution. I don't know that you understand the theory. How they came to develop in such ways would be evolution, but not the processes themselves. All change is not evolution.

Anybody can look at two silimar things, like an ape and a gorilla

Actually, gorillas are apes, as are bonobos, chimpanzees, orangatans among others. I find that people that disbelieve evolution often don't understand it. To compare a developing fetus to speciation shows a disinterest in what is actually being discovered.

Proving evolution will never disprove creationism

Actually, it would. But more importantly, disproving evolution will never prove creation. You are going about this backwards. You cannot prove a theory by disproving a different theory. Creationists spend a great deal of time trying to disprove evolution, assuming that they are proving creation by default. It doesn't work that way. If you disprove evolution, then that is all you have done. You've not proven creation. Science has disproven creationism. It continues to try to disprove evolution.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Lars - I suggest that you read the Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins, it is written for children but has the best expalnation of Evolution I have ever read!

• ihadnoidea
    ihadnoidea

I do not know why I am commenting here, but I guess I would like to hear a nice conversation about Evolution vs ID/Creationism. Even if Evolution is false (I personally agree with Evolution), creationism or intelligent design are not by default the winner. They also need proof (And I might be tempted to believe them if given this proof). I always ask myself why would an intelligent loving God create viruses, evil bacteria, and parasites? Even if it was some sort of population control, is there not a better way then subjecting creation to pain, torment, and then death. These things are not some recent addition either, they recently discover the malaria parasite goes back 100 million years (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111102125650.htm). That is not the only evil, how about asteroids, earthquakes (cause by the "design" of the earths surface), volcanos, and naturally occuring forest fires? To me, creationism/ID leaves to many questions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit