Victoria, Australia: Results of November 8th Steven Unthank's Court Hearing

by AndersonsInfo 47 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Re: Results of November 8 Court Hearing Yet again, all five cases remain intact and are still in the criminal justice system. Oh, how the wheels of justice turn ever so slowly. The Crown appeared via video link as representative of the Director of Public Prosecutions. They mentioned that they still intend, at the present time, to take over all five cases but, amazingly, requested more time so that they can gather further evidence and information from the police. Therefore the Magistrate adjourned all five cases until December, 6, 2011. That quick, that simple. No arguments were presented by Vincent Toole Solicitors, the in-house law firm for the Watchtower Society. Rachel Van Witsen mentioned her name, that she represented the Watchtower Society and then practically never uttered a single word after that. Most importantly, all five cases are alive and still before the courts. On December 6, the cases either go forward under the prosecution of the Crown or they are put to the side. To his ongoing credit, Steven Unthank managed to get the criminal charges and all five case before the courts, and so far the Watchtower Society has not managed to have any of them dismissed. Unthank's strategy appears to be nothing more than to 'keep the cases alive' and quite rightly so. This is the best supporters can hope for.

• Blind Willie McTell
    Blind Willie McTell

As have been informed, new date of December 6 2011 has been scheduled. WTBTS lawyer only represented 1 party, watchtower Australia. Department of Public Prosecution asked for the extention due to new information being given to the Victorian Police and Department of Public Prosecution which includes the request for arrest warrants of many JW's. Mr Unthank is still seeking the arrest of WTBTS Lawyer.

From the other website.....

• JeffT
    JeffT

Thanks Barbara. This is an interesting case, if for no other reason than watching a legal system at work.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Thanks again Barbara!! You are so right that the wheels of justice turn soooo slowly. I wonder why? Is it because the prosecutor's office has to read a lot of mind numbing WTBTS literature to determine whether the FDS does or doesn't exist and whether the GB is or isn't in charge? The prosecutor's office should probably hire a cult expert so that they can prove that the R&F are not at fault, but the boys at the top are responsible.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Good results so far.

Yes, the legal system moves slowly but we want the prosecutors to have all the facts in front of them, and not have the judge make a hasty decision.

• geevee
    geevee

Congrats again to Steven Unthank I say

• sizemik
    sizemik

I agree BP . . . the system makes more mistakes in haste than in deliberation.

Further investigation is good . . . I just hope it's being done thoroughly and with the right motive.

Thanks for the update Barbara.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

well i am sort of glad i didnt make the trip for that one!

must have been over in a fart...

Oz

Thanks for the update Barbara

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Steven's own words on the case before today's hearing:

http://stevenunthank.wordpress.com/notes

These are my personal notes as written down prior to the Court hearing on 8 November 2011.

What went through my mind in the final 60 minutes before the cases were heard in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria?

[As transcribed, word-for-word, from Steven Unthank's hand-written notes.]

November 8 [9:30 am]

How do I feel about the Court proceedings today?

I am not nervous. Everything within my ability and within my available resources I have poured into this case.

Sacrificed my house. Lost my father, 99% of my friends, and feared for my life many times over the past three years and three months.

I am not a lawyer and do not even own a single law book, yet somehow, for reasons very difficult to comprehend I am current sitting in Courtroom No. 2 at the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria in Morwell prosecuting the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, Inc., the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Australia, the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Faithful and Discreet Slave, and the Christian congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

At 10:30 am this morning my cases will be heard. The Crown is appearing by video link. I do hope and pray that they take over the case load. If they do indeed take over and drop the cases then I am comfortable with that decision. That is their legal right under law.

In all honesty it would not surprise me if they did indeed drop the charges. I have made many mistakes, but none that jeopardises the case. Simply I do not possess the ability to prosecute let alone the resources or the funding.

Why did I bring charges against the entire religious and corporate hierarchy of Jehovah’s Witnesses?

To protect the children. This was the only option left to force the Jehovah’s Witnesses to take the necessary step to comply with mandatory child protection laws which help, if only in a small way, to protect children from potential sexual or physical harm.

Why not one single Jehovah’s Witness parent has taken action to protect their own child or children is a shame to the religion of “Jehovah’s Witnesses” and something that every parent must honestly ask themselves.

As to why Jehovah God, the identified god of Jehovah’s Witnesses, was unable to direct the Jehovah’s Witnesses to comply with the Working with Children Act 2005 over the entire three years prior to the filing of the charges is something that needs to be explored and answered.

The same also applies to Jesus Christ and even the holy spirit, of whom the Jehovah’s Witnesses claim appoint elders and ministerial servants.

Still not nervous or concerned. Maybe the writing helps.

It would be great if the cases continued. This would be justice for not only the children but also for the community, locally and religiously.

Is the congregation now fully compliant with the Working with Children laws? This I cannot answer. If they were then there must have been an amount of between 600-1000 applications at the minimum.

So far in this case I am yet to be contacted by the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania, Inc., the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Australia, the Govering Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Faithful and Discreet Slave, the Christian congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses or their legal counsel. I find this highly disrespectful, not only to myself but especially to the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria.

Last night I read Jesus’ sermon on the mount (Gospel of Matthew chapter 5) from the Emphatic Diaglott version. Verse 25 I found interesting in that Jesus instructed his disciples to settle court matters with the “PROSECUTOR” prior to coming before the judge.

["Agree quickly with thy PROSECUTOR, while thou art on the ROAD with him; lest the PROSECUTOR deliver thee to the JUDGE, and the JUDGE to the OFFICER, and thou be cast into Prison."]

On the subject of Jesus and his teachings I find it interesting what Jesus said in Matthew 18:1-10, which is really his child protection policy. In this Scripture Jesus’ said that those who despise children were literally better off dead than having to deal with him.

So what will happen in Court today? For those non-religious the wheels of justice will either grind over or close toward the accused or grind to a halt.

For those who are indeed religious, and do indeed believe that Jesus is the Head of the congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses, then Jesus’ words should send fear into them.

On the other hand, maybe Jesus is not the Head of the congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

10 minutes to go. Court has just been adjourned until 10:30 am. My case??? Help!

I am now sitting at the Bar table having taken my seat. We are almost ready to go.

Rachel Van Witsen [legal counsel for the accused] is sitting to my left. I do not know if anyone has turned up to watch, although I did see a familiar face in the Court lobby earlier.

It still perplexes me why the organisation that claims to be the sole agency for God’s Kingdom on earth would send a female ordained Minister of Religion. Legally this is acceptable, but from a religious point-of-view it raises a whole host of Scriptural arguments. Each to their own.

Three minutes to go. My hands are steady. And why not? It is quite possible that I have nothing to do, as the Crown might take over. The video screen is on for the link up with the Office of Public Prosecutions.

One minute.

Show time.

• wobble
    wobble

Thanks for posting Barbara and you other contributors, very much appreciated.

Could any that have direct access to Steve Unthank pass on our heartfelt gratitude for all he has done ?

This will have ramifications around the Globe and will work to protect children and the vulnerable from the many predators and paedophiles who lurk within the Jehovah's Witness religion.

Even if the cases are set aside in December, we will have an opportunity, not to be missed or misused, for a mediafest that will alert the public to the problems within the WT and cause a seachange in the WT's attitude and practice.

Well done to all invoved, especially Steve.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit