White House Protesters against the Keystone Pipeline

by designs 94 Replies latest social current

• shamus100
    shamus100

And as usual, someone else joins the thread and hasn't read a goddamed word of it. I've never done that. Not once...

• designs
    designs

You are seeing a broad range of critics and supporters of these large pipeline projects. Sierra Club, which I was a memeber of for many years but not now, has a mixed response on this environmental issue since they have accepted large corporate donations from Natural Gas corps. here.

In many of these political contests lines get drawn that are extreme knowing that in the compromises to follow a project that gets the Green Light will have strict guidelines. One of the local battles I am involved with is protecting our Oceans and Beaches. Our EPA just released guidelines for 'Safe Beaches' which finds it acceptable for 1 in 28 children to get sick from exposure to toxins on our Beaches, 1 in 28. That is not good enough but it is better than many of the 46 Hot Spots identified along our West Coast currently experience. Case in point is the San Diego coast area known as Wind N Sea and Point Loma, 50% of the sewage generated in the County goes into the Ocean at this point 'Un-Treated', we have 3 million residents in the County. Hepatitis and other pathogens are picked up by persons who use the Oceans in these areas.

Years ago Huntington Beach, Ca. was heavily polluted from the Coastal Oil Rigs, now with strick controls its much better.

To answer the question put to Shamus on Planning, my view- We need to be planning for our children in the 25th Century, my great great great great grandchildren and yours. What we do today will be felt by them 400 years from now just like the decisions my ancestors made 400 years ago affect today's world.

Make it cleaner and safer. 'The earth is what we all have in common' W. Berry

www.surfrider.org

• designs
    designs

Canada's plans for its Pipeline to the West Coast has hit a roadblock. Enbridge, of which China is a stakeholder, has stalled in its negotiations with the Native Nations whose land the pipeline must cross to reach the Pacific Coast. At stake is about 550,000 barrels per day to be shipped via this pipeline.

The Native Nations of Canada suffer from similar conditions as the Native Nations here, forced onto Reservations in what was thought to be the worse land to give them here then once natural resources were discovered efforts are still made to short them in the negotiations and jobs market.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Designs,

Will you be able to report back on the decision your local environmental group makes? I knew a lawyer who was very active in the Sierra Club. For some reason, he graduated from a law school way down near the bottom. The firm only hired top tier graduates. It was repeatedly reported that the frim did industry wide work for the private electric power industry. He was a spy for the firm. All the Sierra Club's business was reported to the firm. The partners adored him. He was such a lightweight and received larger bonuses than anyone else. He felt no shame. My hand was always on the phone to alert the Sierra Club anonymously. He did not stumble on this gig. It was well planned.

The science part of environmental law and regulation scares me so much. The Attorney-General's Office told my friend that they could never win a single case against the firm b/c we had engineers and scientists who were experts on every screw in the project.

Questions should definitely be raised. The answers should not come only from the interested companies.

Good Fortune.

• designs
    designs

Hi Band,

Will do. Locally we are in discussions with our cities on San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant and its continued record of safety problems, 2 accidents in two months both of which leaked radiation. We have found the best success in the City Council meetings just presenting an Evacuation plan (currently there isn't one) 20,000,000 people hitting the Freeways to get out of town, you can imagine the magnitude of the problem.

www.sanclementegreen.org

• shamus100
    shamus100

The Native Nations of Canada suffer from similar conditions as the Native Nations here, forced onto Reservations in what was thought to be the worse land to give them here then once natural resources were discovered efforts are still made to short them in the negotiations and jobs market.

Utterly false.

Again, Designs, your ignorance astounds me in so many ways. You know nothing of Canada so it would probably be better if you said nothing about it.

Questions are good - changing the route of the pipeline, while it costs more, makes sense. Killing it does not and some environmental groups are starting to wake up from their drug induced psychosis and see just how ludicrous 'plan b' really is. There is nothing but egg all over their faces, and president Obama who does nothing but politically posture.

It's a shame, really. Saudi Arabia is right above you (without the human rights issues)

• designs
    designs

Really shamus, Europeans didn't come to Canada like they did in the US and push the First Nations onto specified lands www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com see First Nations.

Did I ever say the Keystone would not be built? The route will change and the oil and money will flow, let's hope it is built well because it will be around for the next century and I'm the 400 year grandfather looking ahead to my family in the 25th century.

www.surfrider.org

• shamus100
    shamus100

What you wrote in bold is completely false.

• designs
    designs

Who took whose land from whom.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

Soooooo........how 'bout those sandflies in Argentina?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit