White House Protesters against the Keystone Pipeline

by designs 94 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

One of the Big Environmental/Jobs controversies is the Keystone Pipeline which would bring Oil and Natural Gas from Canada and the Tar Sands to the US and the Refiners near the Gulf.

www.htlp://news.yahoo.com/protesters-circle-white-house-oil-pipeline-row-00062747.html

How do you feel about this project. Have any here been to the Tar Sands sites. How are they as an Environmental concern.

We have some big political and strategic meetings coming up within the Surfrider Foundation and the Nature Conservancy organizations to address the Keystone project and would appreciate various points of view.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

IIRC, Shamus has commented, at length, on this topic.

• talley
    talley

I think the pipline is a GOOD THING all the way around: infrastructure - additional/new refinery capacity, plus new sikilled and unskilled jobs, boosting local economies along the way. And please notice that it is private capitol that would like to invest in this venture. No taxpayer money to be wasted or "slushed". Know what that means?? EVERYONE WOULD BENEFIT - FROM VENTURE CAPITALIST *me through my IRA* TO END PRODUCT USER (cheaper gasoline and diesel because more product would be in the market place) What's not to like??

As for the petrolium sourcine being 'tar sands', this is just a manifistation of the " inorganic/abiotic (google that) petrolium " seeping to the surface. We also in the U.S. have the LaBrae tar sands in southern California. LaBrae has become "untoughable" due to extremest enviornmentalism. Over 70% of the petrolium found in our off shore Pacific waters, when analized, prove to be raw petrolium that has seeped from the floor of the ocean and not sourced from bilges or engins. Mother Earth is pumping out this icky stuff that Mother Earth is manufacturing at the mantel level of the earth core.

We know what to do with it. We should DO IT!!

• designs
    designs

tally-

Yes naturally occuring oil seeps are one side of the arguement. California has thousands of these seeps particularly off the Santa Barbara Coast and in Kern County. Right now we are looking at the impact to the envrionment for the Keystone Pipeline Route through sensitive areas such as Wetlands and Rivers. With the recent pipeline ruptures under BP (Yellowstone River) and Encana (Canada/US Border) even the Pro-Pipeline contingent need to provide the assurances and contingent plans.

These types of Pipelines operate under extreme high pressure and when there is a rupture its massive and dangerous. Having lived near LA and having a pipeline rupture a few blocks away from our home which leveled and burned several square blocks of homes everyone should be vested in this decision.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I think that the American people are largely uninformed and some listen to extremist groups that smoke waaaaaaaaay too much pacha mamma. Just one man's opinion.

• designs
    designs

shamus-

We have a Surfrider meeting Wednesday night, I'll let you know if the smoke and haze clears enough to see the Speaker.

• leavingwt
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Do you have a link to the environmental impact statement? They intimidate b/c science scares me. What about the Sierra Club and PIRGs? If it goes ahead, protests could narrow the scope of the program or call for stringent measures to monitor the environmental impact. I am curious what experience has been with other pipelines. Living in NYC for so long, I'd hate for the entire country to be turned into a parking lot with a mesh of heavy industrial products.

Are there economic studies, too, as to whether it will lead to lower prices? What happens to the towns along the way? All these oil spills and other catastrophes worry me.

• designs
    designs

LWT- thanks for the Photos

Band- Study reports should be available to the Public. The Route goes through 8-9 States so a lot of Public debates will take place.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I think that you should probably continue to get your oil from Saudi Arabia. We'll just ship it to China. Plan "B" you see. Supertankers of oil whizzing around all over the Pacific / Atlantic. It's much, much safer. (sarcasm)

Side note: Oil coming from Saudi is more expensive in the long run. So no whining about fuel prices, ever.

Or you could just start walking. The latter is a better option.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit