If You Never Were A Witness Do You Think You Would've Had A Vastly Different Life?

by minimus 41 Replies latest jw friends

• clarity
    clarity

Way way different, happy, reasonable, free and soooooooobetter!

There isn't enough space on this page to say it all ...

I was 22 ... let me count the ways...

clarity

• imasheilatoo
    imasheilatoo

Found Sheep: In some ways, waiting that long was good for me and for my son. I am a better mother for having been older, wiser, and more ready to devote my life to a child instead of selfish interests. I also appreciated it more than I ever could have if it had come easier. But if I had started younger, I could have had more. Never mind, I am so blessed for having a child. I wish you the best on your quest to become a mom. There is nothing more difficult, nor anything more joyful and rewarding, than being a parent. All the best to you.

• imasheilatoo
    imasheilatoo

Just to follow up on the post above, my own mother said in my presence when advising a young "sister" in her congregation that being a mother was nice, but you might not like how your kids turn out. That was a reference to me, not being a JW anymore. Shows where her priorities are -- JWs first, children somewhere after that. I'm so happy, so pleased and gratified, to be a better parent than she is. Being free of the JWs means my son comes first, and that's how it should be.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I came close to doing this when I graduated from high school. My family was in severe financial distress. It was so bad we were even homeless for a month. I considered enlisting in the military to get away from it all. However, I wanted to join the military, regardless.

If I had just gone and done my own thing I would be a lot further in life than I am now. I would have joined the military, which I really resent for not doing. I would have attended the police academy over a decade earlier. I would probably be the Chief of Police somewhere and be looking to run for my first political office.

I feel my purpose in life is to serve my fellow man and the best way for me to do that is either as a soldier or a police officer. A really big eye-opener for me was when I was in the police academy and we were studying the use of deadly force. Our instructor handed out copies of Romans 13:1-7. The instructor said he spoke with clergy from 4 different denomiations of christianity and they all called that Romans chapter 13 the "Police Officer scripture". So, all those years of denying myself the rewarding career I wanted where I could do some real good for my fellow man only to find out that Police Officers are considered God's "ministers".

I experience much more joy saving lives as a police officer and no longer feel the shame of allegedly saving lives by knocking on doors telling people "convert or die".

• Dagney
    Dagney

Good thread and responses.

Yes, I think my life would have been vastly different, but I think I'd be pretty much the same person. Growing up JW had you thinking you were one heartbeat away of a life of total debauchery if you weren't an dub, which had me thinking back then, how "lucky" I was to have been one.

I wistfully think from time to time what it would be like to have your whole life and future to be who you want to be, explore what you want, educate yourself in all ways. Sounds amazing not to have your life planned out for you and every box checked. **sigh**

• d
    d

I probably would have explore more of what the world has to offer. I am now making up for lost time.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

My parents wouldn't have fought so often and got divorced because of my mother being a JW, so I guess my home life would have been better....

• finally awake
    finally awake

I didn't become a witness until I was nearly 30. So I already had 10 years of marriage, a bachelors degree, and an established career under my belt. But I *did* lose over a decade of normal family life. I never got to celebrate my babies' first birthdays, first Christmases, or dress them up at Halloween. My husband and I spent 10 years afraid to speak honestly with each other about the WTBTS. It put a wall between us that never should have been there. If we had never studied, we would probably still be in our house out in the country. We would be way ahead of where we are financially, due to the amount of money we wasted donating to the WTBTS, and the amount of money we wasted buying dress clothes and attending assemblies.

My kids missed out on a normal childhood, a wide circle of friends, activities, and sports. I hope I can make it up to them.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Like finallysomepride, I wouldn't have existed at all. Had I existed, I wouldn't have met my dh and had my dear kids.

But let's suppose that my parents still met and they stopped being JWs early on. They may not have been eking out a living to just about keep food on the table and a roof over our heads. They may not have got themselves into a debt 'black hole.' One or both of them may have developed a career or their talents. Instead of treading water until the imminent new system came along, we all may have had goals to succeed or make a difference in the world. I may not have been so aimless and unsure of what I wanted to or could achieve in life.

• Botzwana
    Botzwana

I would have gotten into MORE trouble then I did. Probably had a criminal record by now too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit