Is this Watchtower comment about the Slave a lie?

by jwfacts 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Listener
    Listener

Exactly JeffT, it has me really baffled how they reconcile with all this. All I can conclude is that they believe they have captured the holy spirit and it flows through the whole organization now so that it doesn't matter about the F&DS. This is based on the presumption that they continue to sanction senile men to be members of the GB.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Um...didn't Watch Tower attorneys just admit in Austrailian court that the faithful and discrete slave doesn't exist?

• Quendi
    Quendi

I don't have much to contribute to this discussion except to make this one point: the 15 November 2009 issue of The Watchtower made the Governing Body's attitude toward any and all who professed to be anointed besides themselves crystal clear. That magazine contained the study article "The 'Faithful Steward' and its Governing Body" in which the role of any anointed ones in the organization was discussed. Basically, the writer of the article made the outrageous claim that just as only a handful of Christians in the first century were used to write the inspired books and letters of the New Testament, so in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries only a relatively few number would be used to dispense "spiritual food".

At that time I told friends that the reason for the article was plain to me. It wasn't just the fact that the number of those professing to have the heavenly calling was rising that the WTS ruling clique found alarming. They were also annoyed and angered by these newly-minted anointed ones saying that their status made them members of the "faithful steward" class and thus entitled to have a say in forming doctrine and determining acceptable practice in the organization. I think they were demanding a big role in running the organization.

Back in the early 1970s Nathan Knorr and Fred Franz faced a similar revolt from the upper echelon managers of the Society. They forced Knorr to relinquish much of his executive powers over the organization and to allow the newly created Governing Body to make policy. Faced with similar demands from those outside the ruling clique, the Governing Body decided to react swiftly, harshly and decisively. The result was that 2009 study article.

The message in the 15 August 2011 Watchtower is both a reminder and reinforcing statement. I think the Governing Body is still hearing calls for power sharing and now has taken the additional step of telling other anointed ones that they are superflous and that their views are neither wanted nor welcome. The other reasons which posters have mentioned are equally valid. But I think this is all part of an ongoing chess game the Governing Body has been playing with its internal rivals ever since the number of Memorial partakers started rising and that was around 2005 or 2006.

Quendi

• sizemik
    sizemik

It used to matter to them while it worked as a mechanism . . . they basically had control over it.

It's now another embarrassment riding on the coat tails of the 1914 "generation" bullshit which has needed major panel beating.

Time and their own doctrinal changes means they've basically lost control in this area. Their reaction is always the same . . . distance themselves from it . . . and then lie about their history.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

What I really want to know is ... what was up with the "Pie Making"?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

the Governing Body has been playing with its internal rivals

I guess they have good reason to be worried about rivals. They have no more legitimacy to the claim anointed than any of the others. I still remember the shock and anger in Tasmania when Geoff Jackson took the mantle of Anointed upon himself in his late 30's (or early 40's). For those that grew up with him, they could not see why this comedian ranked higher than others. The older ones could not see why one of the longer serving brothers had not been chosen instead of him. The GB really have no way to prove that they are anointed than those they accuse of being mentally ill.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Here is the article Quendi spoke of if anyone is interested

* w09 6/15 pp. 20-24 The Faithful Steward and Its Governing Body published by The Watchtower Bible & Tract Society *
    The Faithful Steward and Its Governing Body
    “Who really is the faithful steward, the discreet one, whom his master will appoint over his body of attendants to keep giving them their measure of food supplies at the proper time?”—LUKE 12:42.
    WHILE giving the composite sign of the last days, Jesus raised this question: “Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time?” Jesus then went on to say that this slave would be rewarded for his faithfulness by being appointed over all of the Master’s belongings.—Matt. 24:45-47.

2 Several months earlier, Jesus had asked a similar question. (Read Luke 12:42-44.) He called the slave a “steward” and referred to the “domestics” as “his body of attendants.” A steward is a house manager or administrator who is placed over servants. Yet, the steward is also a servant. Who is this slave, or steward, and how does he provide “food at the proper time”? It is vital for all of us to recognize the channel that is used to dispense spiritual food.

3 Christendom’s commentators often view these words of Jesus as referring to those who have positions of responsibility among professed Christians. But Jesus, the “master” in the illustration, did not say that there would be a multitude of slaves scattered throughout the various sects of Christendom. Instead, he clearly stated that there would be only one “steward,” or “slave,” whom he would appoint over all his belongings. So as this journal has often explained, the steward must represent the “little flock” of anointed disciples as a collective body, or group. In the context of Luke’s Gospel, Jesus had just referred to these ones. (Luke 12:32) The “body of attendants,” or “domestics,” refers to this same group but highlights their role as individuals. An intriguing question arises, Does each individual member of this slave class play a part in providing spiritual food at the proper time? The answer becomes evident when we closely examine what the Scriptures say.
    Jehovah’s Servant in Times Past

4 Jehovah spoke of his people, the ancient nation of Israel, as a collective servant. “‘You [plural] are my witnesses [plural],’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘even my servant [singular] whom I have chosen.’” (Isa. 43:10) All members of the nation were included in that one servant class. However, it is important to note that only the priests together with the nonpriestly Levites were responsible for teaching the nation.—2 Chron. 35:3; Mal. 2:7.

5 Was the nation of Israel the slave about whom Jesus spoke? No. We know that because of what Jesus said to the Jews of his day: “The kingdom of God will be taken from you and be given to a nation producing its fruits.” (Matt. 21:43) Clearly, a change was to occur. Jehovah would use a new nation. Nevertheless, when it comes to spiritual instruction, the work of the slave in Jesus’ illustration does follow a pattern similar to that of God’s “servant” in ancient Israel.

The Faithful Slave Appears

6 The new nation, “the Israel of God,” is made up of spiritual Israelites. (Gal. 6:16; Rom. 2:28, 29; 9:6) It came into existence with the outpouring of God’s spirit at Pentecost 33 C.E. Thereafter, all spirit-anointed Christians became part of the nation that now served as the slave class appointed by the Master, Jesus Christ. Each member of that nation was given the commission to preach the good news and make disciples. (Matt. 28:19, 20) But was every member of that group to be involved with providing spiritual food at the proper time? Let us see how the Scriptures answer this question.

7 When Jesus appointed his 12 apostles, their primary work involved being sent out to preach the good news to others. (Read Mark 3:13-15.) This assignment was in harmony with the basic meaning of the Greek word apostolos, which is derived from a verb meaning simply “send forth.” However, as time went on and the Christian congregation was about to be established, the role of an apostle became an “office of oversight.”—Acts 1:20-26.

8 What was the primary concern of the 12 apostles? The answer can be seen in the events following the day of Pentecost. When a dispute arose about the daily distribution of food to widows, the 12 apostles gathered the disciples and said: “It is not pleasing for us to leave the word of God to distribute food to tables.” (Read Acts 6:1-6.) The apostles then appointed other spiritually qualified brothers to care for this “necessary business” so that the apostles could devote themselves “to the ministry of the word.” This arrangement resulted in Jehovah’s blessing as “the word of God went on growing, and the number of the disciples kept multiplying in Jerusalem very much.” (Acts 6:7) So the primary responsibility for the spiritual feeding work rested with the apostles.—Acts 2:42.

9 In time, others were entrusted with weighty responsibilities. Paul and Barnabas, under the direction of holy spirit, were sent out as missionaries by the Antioch congregation. They also became known as apostles, although they were not included in the original 12. (Acts 13:1-3; 14:14; Gal. 1:19) Their appointment was confirmed by the governing body in Jerusalem. (Gal. 2:7-10) Shortly after that, Paul had a part in dispensing spiritual food. He wrote his first inspired letter.

10 However, were all spirit-anointed Christians involved in overseeing the preaching work and in preparing spiritual food? No. The apostle Paul tells us: “Not all are apostles, are they? Not all are prophets, are they? Not all are teachers, are they? Not all perform powerful works, do they?” (1 Cor. 12:29) Although all spirit-begotten Christians engaged in the preaching work, only a very limited number—just eight different men—were used to write the 27 books of the Christian Greek Scriptures.

The Faithful Slave in Modern Times

11 Jesus’ words recorded at Matthew 24:45 clearly indicate that there would still be a faithful and discreet slave class living on earth during the time of the end. Revelation 12:17 refers to these ones as “the remaining ones” of the seed of the woman. As a group, this remnant has been appointed over all of Christ’s belongings here on earth. The “belongings” that the faithful steward is appointed to care for are the Master’s royal interests on earth, which include the Kingdom’s earthly subjects and the material facilities used in preaching the good news.

12 How does a Christian know if he or she has the heavenly hope and is included in this remnant of spiritual Israelites? The answer is found in the apostle Paul’s words to those who were sharers with him in the same heavenly hope: “All who are led by God’s spirit, these are God’s sons. For you did not receive a spirit of slavery causing fear again, but you received a spirit of adoption as sons, by which spirit we cry out: ‘Abba, Father!’ The spirit itself bears witness with our spirit that we are God’s children. If, then, we are children, we are also heirs: heirs indeed of God, but joint heirs with Christ, provided we suffer together that we may also be glorified together.”—Rom. 8:14-17.

13 Simply stated, these individuals are anointed by God’s holy spirit and receive a heavenly “calling,” or “invitation.” (Heb. 3:1; ftn.) This personal invitation is from God. They, in turn, respond at once without question or doubt or fear in accepting this begetting as God’s sons. (Read 1 John 2:20, 21.) So they do not select this hope for themselves, but Jehovah puts his seal, or holy spirit, upon them.—2 Cor. 1:21, 22; 1 Pet. 1:3, 4.

The Correct Viewpoint

14 How should these anointed ones view themselves as they await their heavenly reward? They realize that although they have received a wonderful invitation, it is only that—an invitation. They must remain faithful until death in order to obtain this prize. In humility, they echo the words of Paul: “Brothers, I do not yet consider myself as having laid hold on it; but there is one thing about it: Forgetting the things behind and stretching forward to the things ahead, I am pursuing down toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God by means of Christ Jesus.” (Phil. 3:13, 14) The anointed remnant must do their utmost to ‘walk worthily of the calling with which they were called, with complete lowliness of mind,’ doing so “with fear and trembling.”—Eph. 4:1, 2; Phil. 2:12; 1 Thess. 2:12.

15 On the other hand, how should other Christians view a person who claims to have received this anointing and begins to partake of the emblems at the Memorial? He or she should not be judged. The matter is between this person and Jehovah. (Rom. 14:12) However, Christians who have truly received this anointing do not demand special attention. They do not believe that their being of the anointed gives them special insights beyond what even some experienced members of the “great crowd” may have. (Rev. 7:9) They do not believe that they necessarily have more holy spirit than their companions of the “other sheep” have. (John 10:16) They do not expect special treatment; nor do they claim that their partaking of the emblems places them above the appointed elders in the congregation.

16 Are all these anointed ones throughout the earth part of a global network that is somehow involved in revealing new spiritual truths? No. Although as a composite body the slave class is responsible for feeding the spiritual household, not all individuals of the slave class have the same responsibilities or work assignments. (Read 1 Corinthians 12:14-18.) As noted earlier, in the first century, all were involved in the vital preaching work. But only a very limited number were used to write the books of the Bible and oversee the Christian congregation.

17 To illustrate: The Scriptures at times speak of “the congregation” as taking certain action in handling judicial matters. (Matt. 18:17) In real terms, though, it is only the elders who take this action in their capacity as representatives of the congregation. The elders do not contact all members of the congregation to ask their various opinions before they make a decision. Theocratically, they perform the role that they have been assigned; they act on behalf of the whole congregation.

18 Similarly, today a limited number of anointed men have the responsibility of representing the slave class. They make up the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. These spirit-anointed men oversee the Kingdom work and the spiritual feeding program. As in the first century, though, the Governing Body does not consult with each individual member of the slave class before making decisions. (Read Acts 16:4, 5.) However, all anointed Witnesses are deeply involved in the vital harvest work that is now taking place. As a class, “the faithful and discreet slave” is one body, but as individuals, they have various work assignments.—1 Cor. 12:19-26.

19 What effect should the above facts have on the ever-increasing great crowd who hope to live forever on earth? As part of the King’s belongings, they are happy to cooperate fully with the arrangements made by the Governing Body, which represents “the faithful and discreet slave.” Members of the great crowd appreciate the spiritual food produced under the Governing Body’s direction. But at the same time, while respecting the slave as a class, members of the great crowd are careful not to elevate any individuals who claim to be part of that slave. No Christian who genuinely receives the anointing with God’s spirit would want or expect such treatment.—Acts 10:25, 26; 14:14, 15.

20 Whether we are “domestics,” who are part of the anointed remnant, or we are members of the great crowd, let it be our determination to cooperate fully with the faithful steward and its Governing Body. May each of us “keep on the watch” and prove ourselves faithful until the end.—Matt. 24:13, 42.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

discreetslave =

Then he begged me to humble myself since I would be held more accountable than one of the great crowd for disregarding my new

privilege and questioning the slave.

What kind of person tells another one to be 'humble'? Someone who is not humble! Likely jealous that he isn't 'anointed' himself!

How can anyone be MORE accountable? If you are 'slightly' accountable Jar Hoover will lovingly murder you. If you are 'massively' accountable Jar Hoover will still lovingly murder you in the same way. Duh!

The telling part for me was where he scalded you for ''......... questioning the slave.'' Very telling indeed. On this control I call CULT!!!!!!!!!

• 00DAD
    00DAD

OK, I'm confused ...

sizemik: What did you mean by the expression "panel beating"? Is this a reference to auto body work? If so, this theology is really more of a total wreck and just needs to be junked. Don't you agree?

wannabefree: Could you please explain your "Pie Making" question?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Could you please explain your "Pie Making" question?

top line of Publisher Record .. Remarks ... pie making or pic making?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit