How Have you Counted your time for Pioneering?

by jehu or jehonadab 111 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• jehu or jehonadab
    jehu or jehonadab

Just Woundering how have you counted your time in field service especially if you were pioneering?

Would like to see if any of you were on the same page as I was. With so much to do, like reading all the watchtower and awake each month and the bible reading each week

for the meetings, on top of that your own bible reading schedule. Preparing for the bible study (aka book study) and everthing else on a midweek meeting, and then to study the WT for sunday... not done yet..

read the daily text and dont forget the year book, familey study and any personal study projects. And then of course dont forget all the time to get ready for the meetings travel and so on.

With all of that and putting 70 hours in field minstry is like holding down 2 full time jobs not taking into account your current job to support yourself....WOW. its scary to think abount.

I am starting to see why at least 90% of the Pioneers are depressed and tied and have feelings of worthlessness because they are not making ther hours. then the CO comes every 6 months or so and

tells them if your not making your hours to quit pioneering or your not trusting in Jehovah enough and so on and so on. Just about every pioneer that comes out of that meeting with that CO is crying

crushed and ready to give up.

So to say all of that , how have you counted your time? I have counted my time for doing anything thocratic when pioneering of course I kept this to myself ..here are some things i count my time for..

but heaven forbids if you tell some one this..

so here goes.. Preparing talks for meeting , Preparing for bible studies, my drive time, starting my time when i leave my home ( they say we work for the best employer)

sheperding calls, if I am reader for the WT or bible study ,and any extra study I have to do for a bible study and of course house to house ministry.

Whats your thoughts?

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Hi, and welcome to the board!

I only auxillary pioneered twice (60 hrs a month) while working full-time and that was bad enough. Pioneering full-time never appealed to me - particularly when there's no Biblical reason behind it.

Many pioneers suffer from burn-out and I'm not surprised why.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

I'm not pioneering and have no intention on doing such anytime soon, if ever. However as of late, I count time for anything and everything related to field service. Part of my reasoning is related to training I had to do recently in relation to FLSA(Fair Labor Standards Act). With this Act, companies have to pay their employees for necessary activities related to the job even while not at the job. For instance, if an employee works in a field that responds to disasters or chemical exposure, when that employee even at his own home, begins to don a Hazmat Suit, he is to be compensated from when he starts dressing. If while at home, your employer contacts you and you discuss work related matters to the point that your conversation benefits your employer, whether that be email, text message, or phone call, you are to be compensated for that communication. One last thing about this act, while much emphasis is placed on the importance of the employer compensating the employee, this Act also emphasizes that the employee report all time worked, including work done during their lunch break, and overtime, whether that be at the site of the job, or overtime done at home. So it's a 50/50 deal of participation when it comes to adhering to the mandates of this Act, and both the employer and the employee are responsible for what's reported, and what's compensated.

Now, lets look at Field Service. For one thing, the Watchtower loves to call it, voluntary. You and I know that is not the case. It's voluntary in the sense of someone aiming a gun at you and you voluntarily handing them your wallet as the poster Wha Happened? illustrated. The Watchtower uses guilt trips, fear, peer pressure, and social standing within the congregation hierarchy to ensure that the majority of the congregation is peddling the WT's literature. On top of that, the WT also mandates that the time you spent "voluntarily" peddling their literature, is reported to the Congregation Secretary every month. What that time reported doesn't mention, is the amount of money spent on gas, clothing, shoes, vehicle maintenance, preperation for presentations delivered at the door, and other necessary aspects of this "voluntary" service that are slipping my mind at this time. Not to mention other financial burdens placed upon JWs in the form of Assemblies, Conventions, and Meetings. Not to be forgotten is many JWs aren't exactly living prosporous lives as it is considering the discouragement of education and the resulting ignorance and lower income as a result of the Watchtower's views on education.

Considering all of that, it goes without saying the Watchtower isn't concerned about your or my financial situation. All they're concerned with is that you do more, more, and even more to benefit their organization. They're not providing any assistance financially or any practical assistance all the while pressuring you to continue volunteering your time and resources for their organization. That being said, would it be unethical for a Pioneer, or any publisher for that matter, to start counting their time when they start getting dressed? I don't think so. I used to start my time by stopping at a laundromat before meeting the group for Field Service. That way my time would start at roughly 9am, as opposed to 9:45-10am which is when we'd make it to the territory. Nowadays, from the time my alarm clock goes off until I'm done with field service, I count that time. I count any time when I'm on the platform during the Service Meeting or the School as its all related to Field Service. When I feed the speaker, I count that time. I also don't donate anything of monetary value to the organization as they've siphoned off enough of my money for the past couple decades, including most importantly, my own personal time which is essentially my life.

One last thing I wanted to mention is the Watchtower is about to cash in BIG TIME on their properties in New York and in other parts of the globe. They're recieving voluntary labor and contributions to assist them in their building efforts, all the while making money in Real Estate. They're invested in various companies, including Rand Cam which is known for manufacturing, Smart Bombs. They're making money off of the interest generated by Kingdom Halls despite it being the individual congregation who originally fronted the money to build a Hall in the first place. It's all one gigantic pyramid scheme with extraordinary social pressure exerted upon individuals to continue performing on behalf of the larger group regardless of whatever burden that person may experience. That being said, I see absolutely nothing wrong with an individual counting time for every and anything related to the organization. Besides, this organizations purpose is to spread the good news of the Kingdom and glorify God's name, is it not? So that means anything done on behalf of the organization is related to those goals, and should be counted as field service time.

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

I always just made it up. Sometimes I would have a "bad month" where I didn't make my time, but a month or two later I would have a "good month" to make up for it. Just so it would look realistic. But I never counted jack, I would just turn in some arbitrary numbers at the end of the month. Most of my pioneer buddies did that too, I always thought it was obvious they were making it up, but it's entirely possible I was just as transparent and it was just a matter of mutual apathy. Really that is most like. A sister would turn in a hundred hour month even though we barely saw her, and she would just say "....letter writing." and we would scoff a bit to each other and then get over it and turn in our 74 hour month thinking no one was the wiser.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I never was a regular pioneer but I often signed up to aux pioneer= 60 hours per month.

I would begin counting my time :

At the first RV I went on

At the first door

By doing magazine street work before the meeting for fs, take off the time for the meeting for fs, begin counting time again once on our way to the territory.

I wrote letters alot back then, counted from when I began writing to when finished.

I took off time if and when we stopped for a break.

I tried being as accurate as possible on my FS report, if I was under by 10 minutes I'd report the 60 hours but take off ten minutes the next month. Usually if it was getting hard to get in the 60 hours if I got in over 60 for the month I'd only report 60 and then add the extra time to my next months total.

Some months I would not make the 60, I remember even getting in only 35 or so hours a few times. But if that happenned I tried harder to make or exceed the 60 the next month. I believed Jehovah knew what I was doing so would try to be as accurate as I could be and very careful with what I reported on my FS slip.

I was not good at keeping up with all of the magazine reading. I found most of the articles in g too boring, I prefered the w.

Some years I did better than others with keeping up with the weekly Bible reading and in preparing for all of the meetings, but I usually did the w study every week and I read the text each day up until about a year ago!

My brother has been a regular pioneer for over30 years.

Anyone who made up their fs reports were fooling themselves. If you did not believe Jehovah knew what you were doing and were going out in FS to please him, why did you even bother to go out? If you went for a wrong motive you really were wasting your time.

I stopped sharing in fs after my wonderful Mom died as I blamed God for her suffering and death and no longer desired to please him.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

It's tough work, but it was the best years of my life.

I always reported my time accurately. Some were strange, and would like to impose their opinions on you on what you should do.

I always though that the Devil gave people 15 minute breaks with pay, so how much would Jah give us. I always counted my coffee breaks for that reason.

• jehu or jehonadab
    jehu or jehonadab

thanks for your comments.

I do agree with factfinder about why go out and waste your time for not the right motive and quarterback about it being tough work but very enjoyable.

I just wanted to see how some have counted there field service time. If you were in bethel you are consider in full time service and most bethelites only get 10-15 hours a month of

real field service time. I also know some brothers who are pioneers that are on the RBC ( Regional Building Commitee) they count most of there time this way and get only about

20 hours a mounth in field service and that is pushing it. Its so much easier to hang out on a kingdom hall build for 8 hours on a saturday then banging on doors.

So in line with no room for george any thing that promotes spreading the good news of the kingdom or contributes in some other form could be counted.

All in all i dont think Jehovah or Jesus will be looking at peoples Field sevice time at armageddon. There is nothing in the bible about recording your hours for the benefit of pleasing men who look at your hours

to determind if you are a (spritual perons or not) Jehovah already knows.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

EASY...........

WINDSHIELDING (Br. Windscreening)

Or,

DOC

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

You're right, JOJ. Jehovah, doesn't count your time. That is a silly rule that the ORG makes us do. They back it up by saying it is only used for statistical purposes. But, it is being used for more than that.

It is being used to measure one's suitability as a MS, or Elder.

It is being used, to see if you didn't publish that month. Then the negative titles come out such as Irregular, Inactive.

It is being used, to establish some promotional titles such as Aux Pioneer, Reg Pioneer, and Special Pioneer.

• Praise YaHuWaH
    Praise YaHuWaH

When I was regular piosneering I had calls where we would eat and watch tv... Dawn of the dead once hahahah...

The donut shop time was always good for 30 plus every day. I remember a brother 10 years older than me an we reg piosneered together... I remember that we used to call on an attractive brunette that he would visit and I was asked to stay in the car because he needed to "counsel her privately"... I did not realize till years later what was up...

he is an Elder now.... Wonder how many sisters he 'councils' now?... HA!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit