is it moral and or rational to teach children and adults that Santa is real?

by mankkeli 41 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think it's all a part of magical thinking. Just read an article about it here (if anyone is interested): http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200802/magical-thinking?page=4

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I was brought up in The Borg, and we have no kids so it has not affected me personally, but I am sure that If I did, I would not invent Santa at Christmas.

I am glad that so many others on here agree with me. I also like the idea of confiding in the kid that Santa is a fun, pretend character, all part of the holiday experience, a game we all play.

I know someone who told me that she was heartbroken when she found out that he was a lie. It was not the presents but the fact that the grown - ups had been tricking her and laughing at her expense , that upset her . She said she never had the same trust in her Mother again.....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

She sounds terribly sensitive. I'm not sure that she wouldn't like anyone laughing about anything she does. I laugh at my kids all the time, not in a mean or cruel way, but because I think my kids are funny. I've asked my older kids (the 17 and 14 year olds, not sure dhe 11 year old still believes I kinda think he's leaving Santa behind this year) neither said they resented me for playing Santa when they were small, their response was the opposite and they expressed that it was fun. And no it would never cross their minds to physically attack me for doing so. I think if a kid does that he's got other problems and it ain't about Santa.

• Bella15
    Bella15

You know I taught my children about this imaginary person called "stranger danger" like millions of kids are taught in USA schools, or McGruff The Crime Dog, and I don't think kids go around feeling hurt because the were never kidnapped by the imaginary "stranger danger" person parents painted for them, or to realize that McGruff can't not talk or do all the fun and silly things McGruff does to convey a teaching to children ... I am not defending any practice but some christians cults and other religions have a "vested" interest in the opinions they formulate and inculcate to their followers, they have their own agenda, in my case I learned from medical professional how cults in our case the Watchtower prey with the "emotions" of their followers, they make you have tunnel vision, you are allowed to see only through one window, the only valid opinion is THEIRS because it comes from "god" - so one does have the skills to think for oneself, to make connections like okay, how come Santa hurt kids when they realize he is not real and how come McGruff Dog or Stranger Danger Don't ... so something in your thinking had to be tainted first to be so one way street, something in you had to be tainted to be so hypocritical, so bias, to make the difference between one and the other when the concept is the same - trying to convey a teaching with imaginery.

• Terry
    Terry

Okay, this is recursive semiotics!

True? Truth is what describes reality.

We live in a world that is so steeped in fantasy, mythos, urban legend, rumor, gossip and superstition we've lost track of what is REAL and what is "real".

Santa is "real". But, unless you accurately describe what difference there is between REAL and "real" you are misleading your child.

Santa is "true" the way Jesus is "true". We describe something/someone so popular, emotionally invested with hope and belief---it has soaked into the very fabric of society (in the West, at least.)

We cannot cherry pick what is TRUE because we cannot cherry pick reality.

REALITY is what happens whether you are there to observe it or not and whether you agree or not.

A hurricaine is REALITY. You can deny it but it won't go away:)

I personally taught each and every one of my 7 children that there is a difference between REAL and "real". Once they "get it" you are safe in allowing them to participate (or not) in social contracts which embrace fantasy as though it were reality.

As a sidebar: Jehovah's Witnesses are desperately confused about what is REAL and they fear what is merely "real".

• james_woods
    james_woods
    As a sidebar: Jehovah's Witnesses are desperately confused about what is REAL and they fear what is merely "real".

So, they think the Smurfs are "real", unless Satan (who is "REAL") gets into the Smurfs, in which case the Smurfs are both "real" and "REAL" until they shout out <<<JEHOVAH!!!>>> (who is "REAL") - at which point the Smurfs go back to being merely "real"...?

Right?

• Scully
    Scully

My children were never taught that Santa is real.

We talked about the original Saint Nikolas (who was real) and what he did, and how people loved him so much that they continued his generosity by giving gifts every year. We talk about garments that Saint Nikolas wore, and how it evolved into the Santa suit that is popular now. We talk about how the "Santa" at the store is playing pretend, and that the Magic Reindeer Food we put on the snow is playing pretend.

The presents are real, though.

• james_woods
    james_woods

That is a good point, Scully - that St. Nikolas is remembered as being a good and generous person.

Despite the fact that the witnesses think he was somehow the personification of Satan...

I agree that young kids should be taught the truth behind the legend and still be allowed to have fun with it.

If you're teaching adults that Santa is real, then there is a question as to whether you, or the adults you are teaching, or both, are rational.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Re: is it moral and or rational to teach children and adults that God is real?
    1) yes it is moral and rational
    2) yes it is moral
    3) yes it is rational
    4) no it is not moral and rational
    Your candid opinion please

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit