Toronto, Canada: FREE Screening of Disfellowshipping DOCUMENTARY next Wednesday

by AndersonsInfo 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

I will ask what I can disclose. ALL of her family is still in. I used to be best friends with her older sister. I will ask and let you know.

The film maker is also disfellowshipped - many years ago - I will ask.

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

She is getting major backlash from her family... it's very difficult and it's probably best if we just leave things as they are. Sorry guys.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Was anyone able to attend and view this documentary? - I think there was to be a discussion afterwards as well.

REPORT please!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This was last night. Who went? We have many Canadians here; anyone from the Toronto area attend?

• Mary
    Mary

Shit. I'm just seeing this now for the first time as I haven't been on the board too much lately. If I had seen this thread beforehand, I would have gone in a heart-beat.

• Will Power
    Will Power

I was there.

60+ in attendance.

James Penton was in the audience as well. It was obvious there were other ex witnesses too, but I don't know who.

We all watched the film then listened to excellent comments made by 3 professors - all women - from what seemed like 3 different fields of academic and media studies.This was followed by the filmaker Erin McMichael's comments, then an open discussion.

It seemed obvious to those who know little or nothing about the JWs that this subject is very complicated, emotionally charged, and the movement in general "not as it appears to the public". Dr. Penton gave some jw background information that had a few people shaking their head in disbelief.

Even though this was open to the public, privacy was a big concern to protect their families. It was very well done, definitely raised some awareness about JWs and shunning.

I believe education is the key. I'm glad I went.

Mouthy I'm sorry I was unable to make any arrangements.

Mary I'm sorry we missed the opportunity to meet.

wp

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

Will, thanks for that report. 60+ in attendance sounds good. Is there any chance of seeing this documentary anywhere else - online for example? Any news about the FEATURE documentary in the works?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Does anyone know the password to watch the video?

• TJ Curioso
    TJ Curioso

I can't see the videos. Randy what is the password?

• Will Power
    Will Power

As I understood it, the film is still being edited. They were also still discussing how public they wanted to go with it out of respect for the families. She did mention the possiblity of a feature film dealing with shunning. Sounded like it would not be concentrating only on JWs, but would explore other religions / cults / organizations as well.

the filmaker Erin, and the subject Elizabeth, are both exwitnesses. We see the documentation of Elizabeth's story, but we do not learn Erin's, nor did she speak about it.

Elizabeth was df'd twice after her own confessions of wrong doing, first one summoned and not her choice, 2nd was voluntary.

wp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit