What exactly are men at the back of the hall taking care of?

by howdidtihappen 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• howdidtihappen
    howdidtihappen

Little Imp: In our KH there would always be someone going up to another brother sitting and whisper in his ear. This would happen frequently.

I've seen this too. Very distracting... and i figured if I wanted to get up and run over to whisper something to someone, one of those useless suits would snap into consciousness.

OntheWayOut:Since it is a good-ole-boys club, the boys will feel free to pretend they are important and do things at the back of the hall during meetings.

Ah, thats what I initially suspected. Boys club! And when hovering at the back, if intimidation is what they're going for, it kinda works, especially when you're a new one. I came from a Catholic church and anyone was allowed to stand at the back. And they weren't a bunch of suits... men just wore nice dress shirts and pants. Jeans, even!

darthfader: I walked outside to my car to pretend to get something out of the trunk and walk back in. This would usually take me 5 minutes - just enough to revive me.I think it's hilarious that standing up at the back isn't allowed, but you can walk outside to your car and that's OK. That doesn't even make sense. You'd think they'd rather have someone in the hall listening to the meetings than stalling outside.

Longhairgal: I don't know if this is true or just hogwash but I was told a rumor by a brother many years ago that they like to have tall or large sized brothers in the back of the hall to "greet" or face any threat that may come in the door

That's interesting, because the guys who stand in the back are not physically intimidating AT ALL. There are much bigger guys sitting down, but they mustn't have titles I assume. Funny stuff.

charlie brown jr: Looking at the Young Sisters.....of course!

That's why i asked this question, actually. Every time i'm at a meeting, there's a guy who walks past my seat 20 times and looks at me and then just stands at the back near my seat , then sits down, and then he's back again. He does this all the time. I'm not baptized so I thought his 'duty' was to keep an eye on me. Makes me feel paranoid. But I can't say I'd be any less uneasy if his self appointed 'duty' was to perve, either.

• lola-rabbit
    lola-rabbit

They are looking for terrorist! And ex-jw gone crazy with their chest strapped with bombs!!

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

Samuel Herd once said that the elders would hate his remark about elders not being in their seats during meetings. He stated that the cong talks needed to be heard by the elders also. He also stated that Jesus knows and protects the cong. And that the elders do not need to watch the cong by standing in the back of the kh. Interestingly Samuel Herd's remarks did not change what the elders did at the cong meetings.

• free2beme
    free2beme

If they are young men, they are using this vantage point to check out the young ladies.

• meangirl
    meangirl

CharlieBrownJr said:

Looking at the Young Sisters.....of course!

Love it! So true. A bunch of pervs.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

howdidithappen:

It is quite possible that this guy is either checking you out or keeping an "eye" on you. If you are not baptized they might be keeping an eye on you.

A more clever operator could check out a girl without it being too obvious: he could get a seat across the aisle and two rows behind you. That way he can check you out without it being obvious to anybody else there! But, us gals have a sixth sense and we feel it when somebody is checking us out. You just know it. LOL

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is so true! My young siblings and my mom were herded into seats and could not take b/room breaks at assemblies. My father just wandered around the grounds and met all his old pals from Bethel. Strange that these Bethelites were not in their seats, either.

In our KH, the boys kept getting up to use the men's room almost every five minutes with no rebuke. It was rare for any female to travel to the bathroom region. They were very noisy. I don't blame the kids. They were completely unsupervised by mostly foster mothers with no great dedication save getting money for their care. There was such a lack of male role models. Looking back, my mysticism and my disassociation started at meetings. Another distraction was observing the outfits of every female. The welfare girls worse the coolest clothes. I cried with envy.

• designs
    designs

We use to talk about where we were going for a Drink afterwards...

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

At our KH, the retired/deleted Elders sit at the back and serve as Attendants. They are supposed to do various things, but most of all they are supposed to attend to the emergencies..i.e. Fire Alarms, threats, violence. We used to have two elderly men that did this ,and one used a walker. That was a joke.

• howdidtihappen
    howdidtihappen

I know there's men who stay at the back the entire time, like at the literature table, but i'm amused by the ones who travel back and forth between their seat and the back of the room, and once they're up there appear to be doing nothing.

Hi LongHairGal,

I've been around it long enough to know it's a weird world with JW's, but what the hell would he be keeping an eye on me for? Is there something I should be doing? I'll give him one thing: he wins points for having the slowest walk i've ever seen. It's hilarious because he'll be up out of his seat and zoom up the aisle, but will take forever to walk back. I'm sure he's seen me laughing at him.

You're right, you sense being checked out. He was the doorman one night and i had to go to the bathroom, and he was staring at me with the raised eyebrow surprised face and didn't get up to open the door until I reached for it, and then he remembered it was his job. The good thing is apart from the staring, i wont have to deal with any forwardness, since a guy in high standing wouldn't risk flirting with an unbaptized person right? If he did, could he get in much trouble?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit