Hypocrites.....grrrrrrr

by Tatiana 32 Replies latest jw friends

• 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one

Tatiana,

I've also made JW jokes at work, and in most cases, they elicit lots of laughter. Nevertheless, I don't think this sort of conduct is wise. Many companies have strict policies that could be violated by making a negative comment about anyone's religion. Additionally, such conduct could potentially form part of the facts supporting a hostile work environment lawsuit.

It is my opinion that your workplace friend is not a devout JW but is a person with a propensity to get involved in legal action. I would suggest that you be very careful in your future dealings with this person.

• openminded
    openminded

Not to change the subject here but I was thinking that the Jdubs could probably double their membership if they showed up at your door early on Sat mornings with warm Krispy Cremes and Hot Starbucks coffee. Just think how quickly their image would change. I think when I become president of the U.S.A. im gonna make this into law.

And another thing...in my America Im gonna set weight limits for people who are allowed to wear spandex. OM

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

144, the environment I work in is very relaxed and friendly. Our supervisor is very laid back and acts like everyone else. Actually I did talk to him afterwards to apologize for disrupting his training class, but he just said it was okay. He told me he knew it was only a joke and that the guy DID look like a pimp. Told me not to worry about it. His assistant, Kim, made the comment that she knew of JWS and I was right. He shouldn't be dressed that way. She also mentioned that he'd been flirting with the girls there, which is really frowned upon, and she was going to have to have a talk with him.

plmkrzy--I didn't yell, but I was standing in front of the class, so everyone heard me.

mccullough--I would never actually use that line. I was in sales for almost 7 years and know how to be professional. As I stated before..it was a joke. And to tell you the truth, after what the elders told me about modeling, and me being reproved for it, the last thing I expected was for a witness to be sitting in that room with us. But, oh...sorry, it must be some kind of "new light!" It's the double standards I hate. Wonder why no one has sued Chris Carter (X-Files) or the many other writers who incorporate jw jokes into their scripts?

It's kind of funny, but on the second day we were hired, and we were all meeting each other, there was a very pretty woman there who was dressed very conservatively in a nice business suit, white blouse. We were asked to speak and tell a little about ourselves. When it was her turn she told us she practiced Wicca. I don't remember who, but someone made a comment about a broomstick, and we laughed. And so did she! She grinned and said we'd better be careful or she'd cast a spell and she'd find all the beautiful models!! Quite a different attitude.

Lady Lee---good point! I don't think I was defending the religion, though. Even with lax standards this guy was way beyond that. Maybe if he hadn't been dressed like he was, or been flirting with most of the women in the place, I would have felt more apologetic. As it is, I think now he should apologize to me!

Another thought....I can't wait to see what he has on at work tomorrow. I wonder if he'll tone it down. I'll let you guys know.

April

If you bury the truth under the ground, it will but grow, and gather to itself such explosive power that the day it bursts through it will blow up everything in its way.--Emile Zola, J'accuse
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/171905

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed

If anyone owes anyone an apology, he should apologize to you. He had no call to blow up at you and embarass you, or at least try to, in fronmt of all the others. JWs are supposed to be thick skinned and have a sense of humor. How many have cracked their own JW jokes?

So, do not apologize to that hypocrite. Let him apologize to you, but don't hold your breath waiting the hypocrite to say anytihng.

If God's Spirit is filling a Kingdom Hall, how is it that Satan can manuever the ones within that Kingdom Hall at the same time?

• Pureheart
    Pureheart

Hey Tatiana,
    I keep telling you guys that there are congregations of JWs out there that should be labeled, "Free will JWs. This guy was probably from one of those.

Pureheart

• Xena
    Xena

Hey April....sounds like you have been having some fun

Well when you are a JW (or an exJW who posts) you need to develop a very thick skin! lol if this guy hasn't heard JW jokes in the past then I don't know where he has been living! He was out of place in confronting you like that, what was he expecting? I think it is good that your boss saw what a lack of humor this man has...to be in sales you really need a good personality, a thick skin and a way with people. I think this guy proved that he doesn't have ANY of these qualities!

I probably would at some point have a discussion with him...lol if nothing else to find out exactly how much of a JW he is....

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Tatianna, hate to break it to you but your very very likely in a scam. The fact that there was a JW in attendance should have been a red flag for you. (They fall for scams all the time, things like Quixtar or Avon or real estate scams)

My dad got into model scout, as did my friend josh. Both times it was a hug scam. People get into it thinking that it will be easy money. Think about it. Is the Model industry really that deperate for models that they need to hire 40 people to go out in your area and recruit attractive people?

What usually happens is you find someone, tell them they can be a model. Great. They call the place, and the place stes up an appointment. They tell the person they either need a) modeling classes ($1000) or b) Professional Photos ($1000) or c) they need to go to a modeling convention where many top model agencies will be at ($1500) or d) all of the above.

The problem Tatianna, is they make their money from selling the photos, classes, or trip to convention. Therefore, they accept everyone. In being a model scout, you are contributing to the scam by duping nice people who probably might have a good shot at real modeling. They will get ripped off big time, and you get 5% of it. Usually these model scout scams are set up so the scouts get like a bonus for every 20 people they fool.

I am a represented model and actor. How much did I have to pay? Zilch. My agency makes money for every gig they get me. They got me on West Wing, so they get 15% cut of what I earned. They got me a modeling shoot for a hip hop clothing company, again they get 15%. Since these real, credited agencies like the ones Im under actually make their money by what their models earn, they are much more picky in who they choose to represent. They will only represent people who they feel will make them money through modeling or acting.

Guess what else? They invest in you! A real agency if they beleive in a talent will pay for their professional photos or comp sheet. Real agencies don't need a gazillion scouts because people come to them. Lots of people. Too many to count.

It is of course possible you are not in a scam, but again a JW being in attendence should have been a red flag, as well as the sheer number of hired scouts.

the scam setup
    You are approached at the mall by a talent scout who states that you have just been selected to interview with Model 1 because "you have the look" that could get you work as a model or actor.

He gives you his card with a flyer and suggests you give him a call to set up an appointment.

The promotional brochure contains the following:

The hunt is on for new faces. MODEL 1, one of the largest talent management and scouting companies in the country, is looking for new faces. With offices in major cities we have everything you need to enter the industry . . . .

Visions of glamour, travel and money flash before your eyes so you attend the interview where you find yourself in an office filled with lots of other model and actor hopefuls. The Vice President of Talent Management informs you that he will likely recommend you for talent management services but that a committee of industry experts will make the final selection.

The Vice President also tells you that, as a prerequisite for agency representation, you must take modeling and acting training from Model 1. He states that their modeling and acting workshops have a limited enrollment and that only 10% of people interviewed are accepted for this training.

He then indicates that you must pay a deposit for the workshops which is fully refundable if you're not accepted by the review committee.

He also says that you are likely to obtain substantial paid employment if selected for their management services and that they have numerous well-known client businesses, organizations and entertainment entities who hire the models and actors they manage.

You are told that the way they get paid is by a percentage of the money paid by their clients to the models and actors they represent. They also claim to have provided casting services on numerous film productions, including, but not limited to, True Lies and Dave.

Excited about your future career in acting you agree to purchase the expensive talent management services sold by their agency.

In fact, their talent management services are not selective in scouting, screening and reviewing consumers for marketability as models or actors. Their principal source of income is not client-paid commissions but fees paid by consumers for their talent management services, including modeling and acting training.

It is highly unlikely that you will ever be able to obtain substantial paid employment as a model or actor through their efforts.

Some more:

Unscrupulous model and talent scouts have their acts down pat. Listen carefully to read between their lines.

"We're scouting for people with your 'look' to model and act." - I need to sign up as many people as possible. My commission depends on it.

"Your deposit is totally refundable." - Your deposit is refundable only if you meet very strict refund conditions.

"You must be specially selected for our program. Our talent experts will carefully evaluate your chances at success in the field and will only accept a few people into our program." - We take everyone with money.

"There's a guaranteed refund if you're not accepted into the program." - Everyone's accepted so you can forget the refund.

"You can't afford our fees? No problem. You can work them off with the high-paying jobs we'll get you." - We demand payment, whether or not you get work.

"Commissions from our clients are our major source of income." - Our income comes from the fees we charge suckers like you.

I hope the company you are working for is not Emodel ( a HUUUUGE scam, many many complaints to the BBB) or something, maybe if you told me the name of the company I can look them up in the Better Business Beruea.

Here is something I found on the net from another model scout, and is typical of the kind of literature they write:

Being a Model Scout"

Hello! My name is Liz Havlin and I am a Model Scout! How I got this job was completely an accident. A friend of mine is a Fashion Model for Petite Catalogues and was complaining to me that although she made made good money, she wanted some diverse modeling experiences. SO, being the helpful friend that I am, I did a search for Modeling Companies on the Internet and found a company called eModel, who's spokesperson just HAPPENS to be Kim Alexis... wow! I was looking over the site for my friend and noticed that eModel was looking for Model Scouts. I thought, what the heck and emailed my resume in. I forgot about the email and was working away one day and here comes this phone call from eModel! I answered all of their questions and was pleasantly suprised to hear that they wanted me.

What I do in my job as a Model Scout is look for potential model talent. Some models are Runway Models and need to be tall & thin, but most are regular sized people like you & me who have attractive features and are usually height/weight proportionate. Print models can be any shape & size depending on which catalogues are looking for talent. Promotional models usually appear at events and do public appearances.

What I like most about my job is the look on someone's face when I ask, "Have you ever considered Modeling?" Most women & men never think their dreams could be realized in a few, short moments. I love to help people get where they want to be and to keep them motivated along the path of their dreams!

Now, I want to say that Modeling is a challenging career that is NOT likethe movies and NOT just hanging around wearing nice clothes. It takes dedication and responsibility to be in a high pressure career such as Modeling.

That was all bullshit, read between the lines. Her job is to find as many people as possible to scam out of a lot of money, sometimes as much as $5000. hats worse is how mean-spirited it is. People are like 'really? me? a model?' and as they start to see stars and big cash in their future they through reasoning and logic out the window. Remember the 'too good to be true' saying?

As opposed as many of you are to JW because of being scorned and burned by the cult, so too I have a huge vendetta against the hundreds of modeling and acting scams out there. What gets me so mad is that if you really want to act or model it's alot easier than you think, you dont need to fork over thousands of dollars.

-Dan

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thanks, bboy, for all the info. As I just started I will look into it further. It's not EModel.
    I do know we don't offer training, or set up appointments for conventions. We also don't accept everyone. At the 4 open calls I've been involved in, half of the potential models got turned away after I measured them. Hips too wide. Chest size too small. Not tall enough. And we do pay for comp sheets. But, I will investigate further. I don't want to be involved in any scams whatsoever.

BTW, Pimpdaddy showed up tonight wearing grey twill cotton pants. A pin-striped shirt, a T-shirt underneath, no jewelry, conservative shoes. Glasses even. And tried to start a conversation with me. How transparent can you be???
    I smell a "back to the fold" campaign about to start! Ummm...hey...sorry, Mr. Pimp....way too late! Geez, what an idiot! I have absolutely no respect for this guy. And I don't think I'll be apologizing any time soon.

April

If you bury the truth under the ground, it will but grow, and gather to itself such explosive power that the day it bursts through it will blow up everything in its way.--Emile Zola, J'accuse
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/171905

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

April,

You have me at work cracking up about this thread! I remember one day I was real mad at the JWs. This elder had tried to preach to me one morning before I got on the bus to go home from work. I had worked all night and was tired, and he was trying to show me some Awake mag. He had a little boy with him, looking like a miniature elder, and that was really what set me off. I remembered being dragged out in the street witnessing and door to door work in the cold sub zero weather and scorching hot summer days. Well, I told him off big time. Then when I got home, some witnesses came to my door. I just opened the door, and said, "I was a witness for over 20 years and I just found out it is a cult. Goodbye." and closed the door.

My husband was angry with me for doing that. He reminded me how devout and deluded I was when I was a JW. When we first started dating he told me a story about a crazy man who liked to come to the door naked when the JWs came to the door. I did not think that it was funny back then.

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Hey April,

Good luck on your new job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have me cracking up with that story.

Oh by the way..........I've been wanting to give you a hug for a long time. But after a while you'd probably push me off.

Tim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit