No More Missionaries

by Lunatic Faith 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Missionaries are representatives of the WT Society. This brings liability for their actions, right? I'm sure they are covering their ass as well as saving money.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have a feeling the missionaries carry a legal document that details how they are their own agents. Don't come knocking on our door with a legal complaint.

I just realized I've not heard of Gilead for decades. The WTS is no longer a newcomer on the scene. Does anyone know the extent of actual support in the field, financially, emotionally, how detailed Brooklyn's instructions are? It seems to me a small sum with a very large payoff. The large payoff assumes that human resources and faith is important rather than a financial investment.

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

I heard Bethelites get just $90 per month for full time work. And I remember hearing, and this was more than ten years ago, that Missionaries get less than $200 per month. Can anyone confirm that?

• nugget
    nugget

When I was younger I remembered the watchtower appealing for brothers and sisters to move to foreign countries where the need was great. I know a much loved brother and his wife who sold everything and moved to a remote part of spain to do this work. This is probably the way things will go the society will get volunteers to make the financial sacrifice and support themselves in foreign lands. Won't cost them a bean and won't have to do any costly training.

Why pay when you can bleed the flock.

• designs
    designs

If you can't convince your neighbor who you know and they know you to be a witness how can you convince some stranger. People like adventure and a far off exotic land can sound fantastic then the newness wears off and what do you really have. The other part of Gilead grads is that 1-3 of every class die in their assignment due to diseases contracted in these exotic places.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

Down sizing, selling up, no more missionary focus, asset consolidation, lawsuits, bad press...

I'd say the WT (or whatever dummy corporation is the favorite) is in damage control and will soon begin making noises and hints that the preaching work is done to god's satisfaction. That can buy them a lot of time with gradual new lights.

Then they will bunker down and try to maintain the numbers they have got and bugger the rest of the world. The 'faithful' will buy the spin and let themselves get even more controlled.

$$$ rule.

Oz

• Walk On
    Walk On

I think the main reason that 'they' (sister and her husband) want to go down, is he is kind of a lazy guy. He was asked to step down as a pioneer recently because he wasn't working at all, while my sister had to work fulltime, in poor health, to bring in money for them. I think he thinks they can save a little bit up here, move down somewhere sunny, not have to work too much... *sigh*

On another note, while I enjoy seeing the posts that the WTS facade is crumbling, I'd like to see something further as to how its actually crumbling. Most JWs are still iron clad locked into the doctrine. Is there some documented proof that they had debit/credit terminals for donations anywhere at any fo the conventions other than posting about it? Was it wide spread?

• inbetween
    inbetween

interesting, because lately they push the "serve where the need is great" thing.

By this, they have pubs moving to other areas without needing to train them in Gilead.

Much cheaper I guess...

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

They are continuing to encourage people to serve where the need is greater in foreign countries?

Seems they failed to mentioned that earlier this year they stopped "sponsoring" visas. While you pay all the expenses, you would get use the Watchtower's name as your sponoring organization when getting a missionary visa in another country. You don't have to be a Gilead grad to get missionary visa but you must have a "sponsoring" religious organization.

Anyway, they stopped the "sponsorship" program earlier this year and all new visas and renewals for non-Gilead grads must be in your own name...in other words they have no liability for your actions and you are not a representative of their org (language from the visa app) even if you are there to preach their message.

That means you either need to get a work visa, marry a native, cycle through tourist visas or seek citizenship in the new country on your own which can be very $$$ and require some time already living in the country.

If you know people that want to go live another country, recommend they go for the adventure or to write the book that everyone has in them but not to preach.

Shop

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I always thought there were sponsored missionary homes in foreign lands...I know missionaries in Burkina Faso and in Benin...they live in these homes or at the branch...I also know that some of the missionaries share some of their allowance with the poorest members of their congregation and they also ask friends and relatives to ship some over the counter drugs and school supplies to them so they can help the sick and the poor BECAUSE THE WATCH TOWER SOCIETY DOES NOT GIVE CHARITY TO THOSE IN NEED...INSTEAD THEY USE THE DONATIONS TO FINANCE REAL ESTATE DEALS AND ACQUIRE MORE WEALTH...THEY MAINTAIN EMPTY BUILDINGS WHILE SOME OF THE BROTHERS ARE STARVING...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit