Faith and the Bible

by tec 90 Replies latest jw friends

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Good points Fernando, Thanks.

• Terry
    Terry

I think Terry understands faith perfectly... it's perfectly meaningless. Faith in anything that may not be true will only keep a person from living in the now. They will perpetually be looking forward to something better instead of proactively changing the present. WE control the future. Not God, not Jesus, not the "Kingdom". WE do. If you read the gospels the Church banned instead of only believing the ones they allowed and/or fabricated, you would see this truth.

What happens when a person finds out they wasted their whole life hoping for something that was a complete fantasy? Then what?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If a completely wrong-headed terrorist happens to help an old lady across the street and give to charity and feed the hungry on their way to blow up a building how are we to "categorize" this person, anyway?

In their own mind they are acting on a series of impulses to DO THE RIGHT THING. However, in total, human life is not an absolute value; only OBEDIENCE to a BELIEF!

You see, there can be no values without LIFE.

Faith can give you a lot of wonderful impulses, but, the bottom line is how it impacts on human life; all human life.

Faith confuses people and warps their finest inclinations through doctrinal preoccupations, confusions and misconstrual.

Faith makes certain people prey to wiley and unscruplous manipulations.

FAITH is a VULNERABILITY rather than an asset.

It is like running your computer without a FIREWALL and anti-virus software.

There has to be a way of measuring "Faith" and, for me, it is how you value and treat ALL PEOPLE.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

You know what the first people that travelled across the atlantic had?

Faith.

Was it blind faith? Nope.

It was faith based on their expereicnes with boats the their pilots.

We all use faith everyday and that faith is based on something and is not "blind faith".

Yet, for some, when it comes to God, it is suppose to be blind faith and I often wonder WHY?

• tec
    tec

Fernando, Vander, Shades of Grey... I hear you!

PSon - I have read some of those. As many as people have pointed out to me. I don't put any more or less credence in those as I do the ones in the bibe itself. And I would test them all against Christ and love and mercy.

What happens when a person finds out they wasted their whole life hoping for something that was a complete fantasy? Then what?

I don't know. I guess that would depend on what they did with their life.

Faith can, but it does not have to stop someone from acting toward the good of planet/people. Christ said that we are to DO... good to one another; unto others as we would have them do to us; love and to serve one another. Proactive; not complacent.

Peace,

Tammy

• myelaine
    myelaine

dear Tammy...

God is an exacting God...each human is worth something, a lot in fact, that is why He called for sacrifices for their sins. The pharisees taught this that is why they tithed right down to the exact amount of spice. they were exacting too...but they didn't practice love and mercy knowing full well in their hearts that no one could keep the law exactly.

this doesn't change the fact that God is exacting. that is why Jesus came...so that He could pay the price for each of us individually.

think of a set of scales Gods exacting standards on one side and you on the other. you don't believe the systematictheology that says Jesus will be on your side balancing out the scales.

This is the interpretation of each word. MENE: God has numbered your kingdom, and finished it; TEKEK: You have been weighed in the balances, and found wanting...PERES: Your kingdom has been divided, and given to the Medes and Persians. daniel 5:26-27

BECAUSE: "Then they brought the gold vessels that had been taken from the temple of the house of God which had been in Jerusalem(the City of Truth, zech 2:5); and the king and his lords, his wives, and his concubines drank from them.They drank wine, and praised the gods of gold and silver, bronze and iron, wood and stone." daniel 5:3-4

love michelle

• N.drew
    N.drew

Not because of that, but because they were doing it with the vessels of the Temple. Like they do now, don't they?

It appears you Michelle are finger pointing in the wrong direction, but I can be wrong. So I apologize, please. Thank you.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

If there is one thing I have learned going into my 3rd year of Theology is that there is more than one interpretation for every verse and outside the guy who actually wrote it, all he have is our "best guess".

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

Dear Michelle, I feel that as a witness for Jesus I point the way to Christ. After one has received Christ, they have a personal relationship with him, so I have no need to teach them anything.

1 John 2:27

Sincerely and with love,

Sister SOG

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Trying to get back to the original topic...

Personally I have found that what I get out of the bible know is far different than what I got out of it before I "found" My Lord.

I don't know if I will ever see the bible as "useless" or no longer "needed" simply because whenever I go back to it I do get something out of it.

I don't think we need to take an extremist position on the bible ie: we don't need it VS we can't be christian without it.

We can, as so many before us have done, take the bible for what it is TO US and enjoy it for that.

• ShadesofGrey
    ShadesofGrey

I agree with all of that PSacramento.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit