Faith and the Bible

by tec 90 Replies latest jw friends

• tec
    tec

For those of us who must walk by sight (for now), there is nothing wrong with using the bible to help learn about Christ and God... as long as ... you look to Christ first and foremost and over anything else. Otherwise, I do not see the point in saying you follow Christ or you are a Christian. HE is the Truth. Nothing else in that bible can override anything He taught or did, on that basis alone.

For those who progress ( or were born already knowing how) to walking by faith, then the bible is not or no longer necessary. Because you will be able to go to the source, yourself, and receive answers, understanding, gifts of the spirit, etc... all from the Holy Spirit, himself. You will learn from the Truth, and so you will know the Truth.

Just a couple of quick thoughts this evening,

Peace to you,

Tammy

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

He's not the Truth, he's just a very naughty boy.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Makes sense to me, Tammy. G'night.

• tec
    tec

G'night Miz.

Lots of love,

Tammy

• LV101
    LV101

Thanks, Tammy. Interesting and it does make sense he is the Truth.

• scotoma
    scotoma

You can't discover more than the total results of all of the carefully controlled experiments based on the scientific method. Your intutition might be right but it might also be shit. That small voice inside is quite often a spiteful bitch or sadistic self-righteous bastard.

Faith is just an outdated word for inductive reasoning.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

The bible is what it is, but every believer needs to find a place for it in their life.

We can't deny the bible and it's effect on people.

As believer who deal with other people that hold the bible in great esteem and view it as authoritive, we can't simply dismiss it either.

I have read the whole bible a few times and I am doing so again, thise time the Jerusalem bible ( I am on 1kings currently) and every time I read it I get something out of it, an understanding of WHO wrote it, WHY and to WHOM and in what WAY they wrote it.

I don't think I will ever view that bible as "unnecessary" but I have learned to palce it in its proper place.

• N.drew
    N.drew

Educated in the spirit means knowing the Bible as I understand Christianity. A person can be a good person and love Jesus and obey without knowing the bible, but to know it is be walking shoulder to shoulder with Christ, which makes life much fuller than just believing.

• tec
    tec

That small voice inside is quite often a spiteful bitch or sadistic self-righteous bastard.

That small voice (inside me, anyway) often tells me to be forgiving, patient, loving... when I do NOT want to be those things. That small voice also often points out when something I am about to say, retort, or do is hypocritical - even though I really, really, really want to say, retort or do something.

If that small voice inside me was my own, I think I would find a way to justify those things I want to do.

I don't think I will ever view that bible as "unnecessary" but I have learned to palce it in its proper place.

Unneccessary to you, or unnessesary to humanity?

Do you need the bible for you anymore, Psac? For your faith, I mean. I think you and I are on the same page here: The bible being a piece of evidence... many pieces really... of witness accounts to Christ and God. But it should not tie us down to the point where our faith is in, and we forget to go to Christ and 'worship in spirit'.

N.drew, I'm not sure that I agree, but the gospels are a good place to learn about Christ - and it is where a lot of people learn about him (or from others who teach us who learned from people who learned from the bible, etc). But I think following Him - his teachings and deeds - is a better way to know Him; to walk shoulder to shoulder with him as you said.

Peace,

Tammy

• tec
    tec

You're welcome, LV101.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit